10 day camping trip in the bush

oxcowboy

hey folks, we are planning a 10 day camping trip way back in the bush near matachewan this year, just curious if you have any tips or ideas on what might be useful to take. i know the tent and permits and such but im talking about the items that might come in handy that one might not normally think of. Thanks in advance.

jason

Are you hiking in, or taking a quad or boat?

If hiking, you’re going to want to pack as light as possible. I would suggest a water purifying system, rather then carrying bottled water. You can get them at crappy tire.

You’re going to need lots of wood, and if hiking, you can't bring it with you. You’ll need a good saw and maybe an axe. Depending on where you go, you may not be able to fall trees for fire wood.

Definitely bring a first aid kit, rope and bug spray. (all other standard camping gear – flashlights, fire starting device, etc..)

You’ll need lots of beer too.

I could go on and on. There are tones of camping gadgets out there to make long stays in the woods more comfortable.

thanks guys, yeah the beer will be there. i have never used dry ice, will it keep that long in one of those 5 day coolers if we keep it closed and lined with news paper. im hoping to find a nice spring to keep the beer cool, we will be driving in to the lake and going out on an island for campining. we will also have a quad that we can make faster runs to the outside world with a camp about 4 miles down the main road, but it takes about an hour and a half to get to the main highway from where we will be, so we dont want to make too many trips out.

jason

I think she's good to go this year wendel, any chance that you will be up that way at the end of july this year, would love to spend a day with ya on the water.

my bud from haliburton says he has a solar shower deal that he is supposed to bring with him.

by the way the GEC is under new ownership as well.

jason

Not sure my little tinny would make it far on st claire wendel, but thanks for the invite, we are heading back to that lake we were gonna stay at last year only for several days this year.

Drifter dont worry we will be packing some 100% deet with us. that usually calms the skeeters for a few minutes per dose. lol

jason

One of those little flat 5-LED lights that slip onto the brim of your hat with two clips. Gotta be one of the handiest things going - great for fishing after dark and around the campsite. The #2032 batteries last quite a while but you can buy spares at a Dollarama.

You've probably got all the regular stuff covered.

Nine nights sleeping on the ground would destroy my back. Have you thought about bringing an air mattress?

I have a "five-day" cooler, and it works remarkably well. Forget about cubes and buy blocks of ice. Also freezing plastic bottles (the bigger the better) works OK...as they melt they don't fill the bottom of the cooler with water. If you put warm beer (or whatever) in the cooler it really kicks the heck out of your ice...it's better (when possible) to make sure the stuff you put in your cooler is already cold. Also, at least a third (half is better) of the room in your cooler should be taken up by ice. Anything like juice or water should be frozen solid ahead of time as well. Regardless, you'll never get ten days worth of cold beer or fresh food without replenishing your ice at some point. That's why you need at least two coolers so you can send a guy to town with an empty one, have him get as much ice as it will hold and then put half the beer/food and ice in each. Keep your cooler in the shade and keep the lid closed as much as possible.

I don't mean to go on and on with the cooler advice...it's just that I like beer and refuse to drink it unless it's cold. I can only assume you feel the same way.

Keep your cooler in the shade and keep the lid closed as much as possible.

All good advice. Especially the strategy of freezing as much as possible of the contents before putting in the cooler. I would add that draping a wet towel over a cooler will help. Evaporation helps the cooling.

when i did a camping trip a few years ago i kept the beers in the lake water, it worked great.

Yep I agree 100%.. long piece of rope and those plastic-loop-6-pack-can-holders that are so environmentally unfriendly ... work like a charm ... at 20+ feet the water is always cold - and you can keep all that extra room in the cooler for ice to keep your fish fresh 'till supper time :) :)

ya i would definitly bring some rope to hang things in trees so animals wont get in them or have less of a chance haha. as for that dry ice, it works awesome, a little to good, make sure you got cardboard between the dry ice and the food cause it will freeze everything solid that it touches. a solar radio is a good idea to! and dont forget to bring the T.P

• 11 years later...