What lure is this?

Governator

Back when I was growing up, my great uncle past away and I inherited his fishing lures. That would've been around 1990. He lived in North Bay and fished everyday and his old collection helped kickstart my tackle box.

Anyway, I had one of his old wooden lures in my box on the weekend and decided to toss it out for fun. Wouldn't you know my 2nd cast with it and I landed a pike. I retired the lure so I didn't lose it but I wanted to know what the heck it is?? There are no markings or writing at all on it so I haven't been able to find it online.

Here it is, it's light, maybe 4 1/2" long and floats. Any idea?

Thanks,

Jason

wooden1.jpg

wooden2.jpg

I think I saw this lure once in an Infisherman article way back when. I think it's a local lure used only on the Detroit river back in the days for walleye fished on a 3-way???

I figgered it for some type of popper...

referred to as pencil plugs and were very popular on a bottom rig trolled for walleye. I see them come up in vintage lure section on ebay a fair bit. Most as Bernie66 said were from Detroit area and were locally made. I got some from a neighbour a while back but they were in really bad shape

Edited by Fang

reminds me of a pencil popper. Google it and if you have the patience to go through the plethora of designs both mass production and local, you might find just what you are looking for. Good luck and congrats on the pike.

Wow very cool, it's definitely a pencil popper (I've never seen that type of design before). That at least helps try to narrow it down.

I'd be very impressed Miller if you were able to replicate it! I'm going to try to narrow this down more now that I got some more info. Thank you guys!

Wow very cool, it's definitely a pencil popper (I've never seen that type of design before). That at least helps try to narrow it down.

I'd be very impressed Miller if you were able to replicate it! I'm going to try to narrow this down more now that I got some more info. Thank you guys!

Email me more photos, lay it beside a ruler, and also need a pic of the front to see the mouth part. And I will see what I can do.

[email protected]

Edited by Miller Photo

Like fang and I have mentioned above, these lures were designed for walleyes fished just off the bottom in fast water. They were suppose to dart in the current. They are not pencil poppers for top water application and I don't think they are cupped in the front.

Governater,

Glad that I might have been able to help but do not be too quick to discount what Bernie66 and Fang have said..is the lure you have cupped in the front? Also consider what action the lure had when you used it, lots of lures can look alike but the action is for different types of fishing and very important if you want to duplicate it. That being said, a pencil popper is a nice lure to use for pike if that is your goal.

Hey guys,

Yea it is cupped in the front a bit. I casted it out and it floated on the surface. I then twitched it back to the boat with short jerks downwards. It would dart under water just a little bit with that motion and on the pause float back up slowly. It didn't suspend. With the right motion I think it would pop across the surface. Here are more pics of it:

lure2.jpg

lure4.jpg

Great front shot. Exactly the same cut as the ones given to me by a neighbour. He used to fish Niagara and Detroit river for walleye. 3 way rigs with a big weight to get on the bottom. They would anchor and drop the rig down and let the current work the bait. Much like a thin little J plug

A top water popper has a little different cut. If anyone remembers the Bass o renos they were cut like this 2. you could use them as top water but give them a slow crank and you'd great crank bait action just under the surface

that is a pencil plug. ive painted thousands. they are used exclusily handling in detroit and st clair river.. the cedar pencil plugs have the best action. there was a fellow in marine city michigan thar routered them for decades. . now you only normally see plastic ones produced.

Pencil Poppers are not exclusive to Detroit, a lot of Striper fishermen use them down here for our landlocked Stripers.

They'r a top water lure and will catch many different kinds of fish like Bass, Pike, Musky, Stripers... and Saltwater fish too, like Redfish, Mahi Mahi, schooling Mackeral...

I've seen Pencil Poppers up to 12 inches.

Pencil Poppers are not exclusive to Detroit, a lot of Striper fishermen use them down here for our landlocked Stripers.

They'r a top water lure and will catch many different kinds of fish like Bass, Pike, Musky, Stripers... and Saltwater fish too, like Redfish, Mahi Mahi, schooling Mackeral...

I've seen Pencil Poppers up to 12 inches.

Thanks, although I think they are calling this lure a pencil plug, not a popper and not meant for top water fishing. There is a difference the way the mouth is shaped apparently.

Here is one I bought about 10 years ago in the General Store in Matchewan. Hasn't been used yet. I always buy lures I have never seen before where ever I go and most I never get around to using.

Popper.jpg