Fatter Walleye from Rock Lake (Algoma Dist.)

Pulling more piglets out of Rock Lake guys. I seem to have found a few nice spots on this little lake to get into some Pickerel action. Fishing seems best so far in 9-15 feet of water pulling perch/fire tiger spinners with GULP, minnows or worms behind them.

Heres my buddies 5 pounder

24dlgy1.jpg

Here he is with his 5 and 3 pounder...

wjdtfc.jpg

Heres my Fathers Day 21"er caught on a Baitfish Image Clown Spinner and my new Mojo Bass...Mojo Bass...not just for Bass anymore :D .

24pbbdc.jpg

Nice fish man but Dara is correct....High mercury levels in rock and surrounding lakes I believe.....I think it is a result from a mining but I could be wrong..The fish consumption guide explains it better but i can not find a copy here.....Hope this helps

TDunn

oh ya showing off again eh arch! nice walleyes though, we gotta head out again soon and catch bigger ones then spins 5lber. and i've been told there was a mine shaft or something going under rock and it collasped and theres a really deep spot in the lake. i hear whatever rock they were mining reflects the sun alot and heats up causing the lake to raise to higher temperatures, maybe as a result you get more bacteria in the water do to higher temperature levels. i could be out in left field but thats just what i heard through the grape vine.

oh ya showing off again eh arch! nice walleyes though, we gotta head out again soon and catch bigger ones then spins 5lber. and i've been told there was a mine shaft or something going under rock and it collasped and theres a really deep spot in the lake. i hear whatever rock they were mining reflects the sun alot and heats up causing the lake to raise to higher temperatures, maybe as a result you get more bacteria in the water do to higher temperature levels. i could be out in left field but thats just what i heard through the grape vine.

:P :P

eat 1 lbers instead of broodstock and you have nothing to worry about!

Its a good thing theres lots of 1 pounders in that lake ;) ....or atleast, thats all I can catch B) .

Your really getting into the eyes now AJ.....nice fishes.

They look a bit pale, is the water very stained in that lake? Its just they look very similar in colour to Wabigoon lake walleye where i live, The lake here is the colour of a Timmies Double, Double. We got mercury in our Lake too, but apparently its all on the other side of the mill dam, i think they call the fish WALLEYE, EYE, EYE....genetic deformities....lol.

Great report man......still waiting for one caught on the floating jig though :P

Your really getting into the eyes now AJ.....nice fishes.

They look a bit pale, is the water very stained in that lake? Its just they look very similar in colour to Wabigoon lake walleye where i live, The lake here is the colour of a Timmies Double, Double. We got mercury in our Lake too, but apparently its all on the other side of the mill dam, i think they call the fish WALLEYE, EYE, EYE....genetic deformities....lol.

Great report man......still waiting for one caught on the floating jig though :P

The water doesn't seem too bad for clarity Lime. I've been told our area's Walleye are actually some mutant fish/hybrid, but I have no idea nor do I care...

I will bust out the floating jigs soon :D . I gotta get them to stop hitting the trolling spinners long enough for me to still fish for a bit :lol: .

Nice fish man but Dara is correct....High mercury levels in rock and surrounding lakes I believe.....I think it is a result from a mining but I could be wrong..The fish consumption guide explains it better but i can not find a copy here.....Hope this helps

TDunn

Linky

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/water/fishguide/guides.php

It doesn't list walleye for Rock right now, but I remember reading years ago that they are pretty bad there.

There are some old gold mines upstream..Havilah mine I believe.

Stick to eating the smaller ones, if any. There are plenty other lakes to eat from

Linky

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/water/fishguide/guides.php

It doesn't list walleye for Rock right now, but I remember reading years ago that they are pretty bad there.

There are some old gold mines upstream..Havilah mine I believe.

Stick to eating the smaller ones, if any. There are plenty other lakes to eat from

Thanks Dara, how was your trip?

but thats the only lake archie can catch walleyes in! :P haha just bugging buddy!

OUCH!! Next time we're fishing and I land a fish for you, your hooks are gonna get "tangled" in the net before the fish is in :devil: .

• 8 years later...

Really old thread I see, but thought I'd take a stab at it - heading to Rock with my kids in the hope of some action - not super concerned about Wallys - they'd be a bonus, but just looking for some pike / bass / action for the youngest mostly - any tips would be appreciated - late summer and still warm out!!

I started reading this thread from the top not paying attention to the date it was posted and I am thinking, I have never seen these many members from sault post on one thread lol. Later realized its from 2009! :whistling:

Hope you get the answer to your question Pitch55. Sault Folks are great!