Bass Opener -- Anyone Else Not Care?

CLofchik

Lots of folks seem to enjoy catching Pike. They're a dime a dozen where I fish. I'd rather not catch one than catch one. But I wouldn't start an entire thread stating just that. To each his own I guess..

The fact that they're chock full of awesomeness....

I've spent more time in my life fishing for pickerel than any other kind of fish. So yeah, they're awesome. :D

HOWEVER, I love catching bass, pike, specks, lakers, salmon (chinooks and pinks), rainbows, splake, cutthroat, perch, saugers, catfish, lake herring, even drum too (I've only ever caught ONE crappie and ONE muskie!). They're all worthy fish, and all good eating, except that I'd put lakers down at the bottom of the list for that. :)

I just don't get the idea of dissing bass. Aren't we all hoping for "dumb" fish to keep the action hot and heavy? And aren't all fish "dumb" when the conditions and/or the presentation are right? And why pass up a fish that can give a spectacular fight and tastes good on your plate?

Seems like a total win to me. But then again, I don't subscribe to any "best" fish, or any "best" way of fishing.

Edited by Jocko

Those incredibly stupid, easy to catch numerous overgrown sunfishes kicked my tail yesterday. It hurts getting outsmarted by a creature with a brain the size of a pea. And no I'm not *only* talking about people who can't see the glory of bass fishing. hahahaha

My favorite fish to fish for is anything that swims.

I can tell you that ive had days out on erie, where you just couldnt go wrong with the smallmouth...............and yes, you can see everyone from "experts" to those you just know are novice fisherman bringing smallies to the boat........but i can also tell you ive been out there when you see these same "experts" and novice weekenders not getting a sniff, no matter what their experience or skill level. They shut off, and hunker down and have behavioral migration patterns that force you to fine them, etc etc....just like any other fish does.

Dont let the fact that there may be a dense population of them where YOU fish and you may have gotten into them every time out fool you.

Ive watched many a Bass ignore me.....now, are their more difficult fish out there to target, i dunno....maybe. I know id rather fish for walleye, but that doesnt mean its harder.

One mans trash is another mans treasure. I seem to have the most fun while fishing for species i dont get a chance to fish for enough.

bass fishing and riding mopeds have a lot in common

both can be fun but you wouldnt want your friends catching ya. ;)

i'd probably fish bass if the season opened earlier.. but with muskie opener occuring 1-3 wks before bass, it's tough to psyche myself to fish after 20" vs 50" fish.

Edited by Raf

bass fishing and riding mopeds have a lot in common

both can be fun but you wouldnt want your friends catching ya. ;)

i'd probably fish bass if the season opened earlier.. but with muskie opener occuring 1-3 wks before bass, it's tough to psyche myself to fish after 20" vs 50" fish.

Suppose we turn that around... :D

Muskie fishing and riding an exercise bike have a lot in common.

A lot of effort expended but it doesn't get you anywhere. ;)

I'd rather fish and get frequent action from fish I can actually eat.