Bass Opener -- Anyone Else Not Care?

CLofchik

I had a blast this morning fishing and plan to have some more this evening. I can think

of a few reasons why bass fishing is so much fun.

1) Place casting. Makes it feel more like a sport with specific physical movement.

2) Surface strikes. Nothing beats seeing the fish take your bait.

3) Can you say Smallmouth Bass. What a great fighting fish. How can you not enjoy

the fight of a 3 to 6lb Smallie???

4) Finding Structure.

5) Catch and Release.

Plus...you don't have to spend a lot of money to fish for bass. My gear is middle of the road

and I only use 1 medium to heavy rod with a sensitive tip and I'm all set.

ya that is so true. I only hear BASSMASTERS not PIKEMASTERS come on bass is for all ages.

CLofchi, have you ever caught a smallmouth bass over 5pnds? What about you GCD?

Both of you, can you please tell me of a freshwater species that has as much fight per pound as a Small Mouth Bass? And GCD, just to be clear, I'm talking about fish here ;)

You've obviously never caught a 5lb speck!! Or an atlantic for that matter. I'll agree, sm bass fight good, they're just stupid. Easy pickins, no challenge. The only reason most people fish them so much, is its easy. I like a little challenge. Bass are what I call a day saver. When the fishings tough, and you can't catch any fish with teeth..........there are always bass willing to bite. :P They'll hit anything, and they're everywhere you go. Easy, sleazy.........dirtly ole bass.

S.

You've obviously never caught a 5lb speck!! Or an atlantic for that matter. I'll agree, sm bass fight good, they're just stupid. Easy pickins, no challenge. The only reason most people fish them so much, is its easy. I like a little challenge. Bass are what I call a day saver. When the fishings tough, and you can't catch any fish with teeth..........there are always bass willing to bite. :P They'll hit anything, and they're everywhere you go. Easy, sleazy.........dirtly ole bass.

S.

You're right, I haven't! I'd like to some day. But fishing bass can still be a challenge for me, I don't have a fish-finder so that adds to the challenge. I lik'em easy and sleazy anyways... just not dirty :) I've gone from calling a 5 day bass day great to about 20-30 and hope to keep improving. My only problem is I don't fish nearly as much as I'd like to!

OZ

Sorry guys but anyone can catch a bass. They are just like sunfish only bigger. As for the stalking and finding them part thats not all that hard. Find a patch of weed or a mat and start pitchin. You'l probably get one 7 outa ten times. I dont see what the big hype for them is. They are an easy fish to catch. So i guess if you want an easy catch, fish for bass.

good thread, hope it doesnt go down hill. I too thought anyone can catch a bass and your right anyone can, but once I actually fished a few tournaments against other bass guys my thinking changed really fast on it.

I felt prior to it I could rate my self as a 5-6 out of 10 as a bass guy find some weeds and off you go, but I quickly realized after the first event I was maybe a 1 or 2 on a great day, when it came to finding bigger bass not bass but big bass on a pattern aimed at catching them

Flippin a jig what color trailer, pitchin creature baits ( that list in about a foot long), at least 6 worm techniques, crankbaits jerk baits what depth what color what style, spinner baits what blade what color what trailer, tubes belly weight or bullet a 3 or a 5 in size, dropshotting

top water sammy's poppers, frogs buzzbaits the list and combination is endless and boundless both with baits and rods.....I think i have close to 20 rods now and am going to pick up another one after realizing something about deep diving cranks

Your right anyone can catch a bass but not just anyone can catch a lot of really big bass in fact a very select few can catch bass at a rate that wins events.

If all one wants is to go to a lake catch a few bass and relax then yup anyone including our kids can catch a bass on a rig as simple as a worm and bobber, but I cant think of another fish that has as many techniques, patterns and gear aimed at catching really big bass........

I watched everyone yesterday work 6 feet of water over weeds, while I cranked into 25 fow for largiesin a main lake creek channel.....go figure

Both of you, can you please tell me of a freshwater species that has as much fight per pound as a Small Mouth Bass? And GCD, just to be clear, I'm talking about fish here ;)

rockbass are the hardest fighters out there...imagine the fight from a 5lb rocky :o

sp%20nazi.jpg

Get one now!

Available as a transparent 2" x 2" transfer for the windshield of your car, truck or boat, or 4" x 4" opaque for application on a painted surface.

Let others know you're a member of a select group of elite fishermen.

Impress friends and strangers alike. :D

Its a Man thing....

LMAO, so it's a penis envy, "mine is longer than yours!" thing with bass fisherman?

...we dont care that you would rather sit on your dock; we wouldnt!

go check out your carp derby...and how can you say bass doesnt taste good...you're just not right..go back to your dock and soak up some more sun..

Ah okay, I get it now. Obviously overcompensating for some "inadequacies". Is this what drives bass fishing to bigger, longer, stiffer, faster boats, motors and rods? I had no idea of the deep seated insecurities of serious bass fisherman, apparently I touched a nerve there.

For simple fun it's hard to beat a smallmouth, if you don't feel that way you definitely don't experience fishing the same way i do, but to each his own.

I never said I HATED bass, just that I can't figure out what there is that makes people go hardcore after them. Sure they're simple fun, and I'll go tangle with smallies and have a great weekend doing it. But I don't lay awake the night before a big trip dreaming about bass. Heck wading a river stalking carp like bonefish on the flats is more heart pumping than popping a small Torpedo after 1 1/2lb fish.

If all one wants is to go to a lake catch a few bass and relax then yup anyone including our kids can catch a bass on a rig as simple as a worm and bobber, but I cant think of another fish that has as many techniques, patterns and gear aimed at catching really big bass........

I watched everyone yesterday work 6 feet of water over weeds, while I cranked into 25 fow for largiesin a main lake creek channel.....go figure

Ever try weight forward spinners? There's this thing called a SpinRite, pretty unique lure. Like an Erie Dearie with a marabou dressed rear hook. Killer on suspended or deep rock holding bass. Hard to find though, but I agree with you on deep bass.

I did not recognise you today. You had your civilized clothes on and I was busy taking care of the prizes . Nice dogs, the one is more than a little black and tan?

I prefer to target carp but seriousy IT'S ALL GOOD. From 6" brookies to 4ft skis.

Heh yeah that was me, nice turnout for the tourney. Sure it's all good, but some are better than others, oh and I'll take the 4ft ski over the 6" brookie :D

sp%20nazi.jpg

Get one now!

Available as a transparent 2" x 2" transfer for the windshield of your car, truck or boat, or 4" x 4" opaque for application on a painted surface.

Let others know you're a member of a select group of elite fishermen.

Impress friends and strangers alike. :D

Bahwhaahaaaa, don't forget the specie specific collectors editions. Allow you and others to ID each other more easily and sneer at Specie Nazi's of other, lesser, fish in Tim Horton's parking lots everywhere!

spnazi-nook.jpg

Don't worry CLofchik...I got your back. They are insanely stupid and annoying creatures...fun to catch while you're waiting for the evening Walleye bite though :D .

So what makes the pickerel so much better?

Less aggressive, anemic fight compared to a smallmouth, tastes just about the same. ;)

How can being picky make a sport fish a better sport fish?

I dunno, maybe it's that flash of white tail-tip while you're hauling them up that makes them so exciting. But for pure fighting fun, give me a bass or a pike any day.

So what makes the pickerel so much better?

Less aggressive, anemic fight compared to a smallmouth, tastes just about the same. ;)

How can being picky make a sport fish a better sport fish?

I dunno, maybe it's that flash of white tail-tip while you're hauling them up that makes them so exciting. But for pure fighting fun, give me a bass or a pike any day.

The fact that they're chock full of awesomeness....

I caught this disgusting thing! :angry: ... do you know what kind of Bass it is? :dunno:

DSC01528-1.jpg