Bass Opener -- Anyone Else Not Care?

CLofchik

Bass season opened today........yawn.

I never really got into bass fishing, they're a fun little fish to play with on summer days. But really, how do you get excited over 3lb. fish you just winch over side? I'll spend a few weekends every year camping on back lakes for some bruiser mule smallies and have a fun time, but I'll spend just as much time kicking back in a camp chair soaking up the sun relaxing than bothering to fish. I atleast understand why people fish for crappie, perch & pickeral, they taste good! But eating bass, yeck!

Today I'm going to walk my dogs down to check out a carp derby, then probably put in a few hours in the evening going after sheepshead, errr whistletrout. I'll catch more fish in those two hours than most bass guys, and they'll be double the size and fight twice as hard as any largemouth. And taste a heckuva lot better.

What am I missing that makes guys go out and spend crazy amounts of money pimping out rigs with huge motors to go chase these little fish, what's so special about bass?

I had a blast this morning fishing and plan to have some more this evening. I can think

of a few reasons why bass fishing is so much fun.

1) Place casting. Makes it feel more like a sport with specific physical movement.

2) Surface strikes. Nothing beats seeing the fish take your bait.

3) Can you say Smallmouth Bass. What a great fighting fish. How can you not enjoy

the fight of a 3 to 6lb Smallie???

4) Finding Structure.

5) Catch and Release.

Plus...you don't have to spend a lot of money to fish for bass. My gear is middle of the road

and I only use 1 medium to heavy rod with a sensitive tip and I'm all set.

Well I bass fish from a Kayak with an ultra light rod and 4 pound test. Now a 3-4 pound smallie giving me all its got on my set-up can be pretty fun!! I don't eat fish so who cares if bass taste terrible to some. If you feel bass are not a fight then change your set-up to an ultra light...its a different story. Also a nice smallie will put up a fight better than a crappy, perch and walleye combined!! So I am not so sure why you are so negative towards bass opener! I am a Steelheader and I still like to fish for bass! Maybe I just love the sport!

Any fisherman who disses bass has gotta be nuts. :D

Great fight, surface action, and (though I can't hardly believe it, a news flash for some) bass is really good eating. Every bit as good as pickerel and pike, and to me a damn sight better than any trout. Pan-fried bass fillets are excellent fare.

Fishing crappie is like fishing perch - it can be fun, and they taste good - but they're little fish. They're a good filler when nothing else is available or nothing else is biting.

Also a nice smallie will put up a fight better than a crappy, perch and walleye combined!!

Yep. For fight, nothing is as "boring" as pickerel. Struggle to get straight to the bottom, that's about it. No that I don't enjoy catching pickerel, but if the fight is the thing being talked about, pound-for-pound a bass can way outfight a pickerel any day.

To me it's just a part of the variety that keeps things different and interesting. Just like every other species I target.

Different time, species and tactics. The lighter the tackle the better. Oh, and 1lb. bass are a perfect side to a big plate of bacon, eggs and homefries for brekkie

Bass opener also marked the real beginning of summer when I was a kid.

Edited by bigugli

I never really got into bass fishing, they're a fun little fish to play with on summer days. But really, how do you get excited over 3lb. fish you just winch over side? I'll spend a few weekends every year camping on back lakes for some bruiser mule smallies and have a fun time, but I'll spend just as much time kicking back in a camp chair soaking up the sun relaxing than bothering to fish. I atleast understand why people fish for crappie, perch & pickeral, they taste good! But eating bass, yeck!

Today I'm going to walk my dogs down to check out a carp derby, then probably put in a few hours in the evening going after sheepshead, errr whistletrout. I'll catch more fish in those two hours than most bass guys, and they'll be double the size and fight twice as hard as any largemouth. And taste a heckuva lot better.

What am I missing that makes guys go out and spend crazy amounts of money pimping out rigs with huge motors to go chase these little fish, what's so special about bass?

who pissed in your cornflakes? geez..... with comments like that you should keep them to yourself...we dont care that you would rather sit on your dock; we wouldnt!

go check out your carp derby...and how can you say bass doesnt taste good...you're just not right..go back to your dock and soak up some more sun..

As someone else said, it's a man thing, going mano a mano against a 2 or 3 pound carnivore in his own natural element (I wade mostly), anticipating his every move (they're cunning little fellers for something with a brain the size of a pea), stalking him at risk of life and limb (we have a lot of slippery rocks where we fish) and finally being able to hold him high for the victory pic to prove to other manly men that I can actually best a creature of the wild 1/100 of my size. What's not to like?

Besides, It's either carp, suckers or bass in my part of the province unless I wanna drive an hour or more (usually more) and I wouldn't trade one hour of quality creek time for a whole day of trolling for the denizens of the deep - been there, done that - seriously boring. Sure, it's fun when you finally hook into a big fella but the hang time sux. I'll take slipping and sliding over slippery rocks for hours any day over hours doing nothing in a boat - waiting.

JF

Guest skeeter99

trout season oened on the 4th saturday in april ......YAWN

walleye season opened second saturday in may.............YAWN

I never really got into trout/walleye fishing, they are fun fish to play with on spring days, but really how can you get excited guys use braid and just haul them over the side, I'll spend a few weekends every year camping on back lake for some bruiser walleye and trout, but I will spend time kicking back in chair relaxing rather than fish. I atleat understand why people fish for bass they taste good! but eating trout and walleye, yeck!

I'll cath more fish in two hours than most that other site the walleye/trout guys

what am i missign here driving around in a pimped bass boat all nice and comfy and have all the options on the lake or the tinny with the 9 and cannot go out in the wind

LOL!!!!!

I Bass fish for over 9 months of the year, but the three and a half months that I fish in the North Kawathas are the highlight of my year.

There is something about cruising along a Shield type lake throwing casts toward the shoreline, that soothes my soul. The action is fast and the fish are willing...If there is anything that a man can do by himself that is better than that, it must be illegal!

I'm halfway thinking the lead-off post for this thread is a troll. I haven't seen that term used on this site, but on other discussion boards it means a controversial statement that's purposely thrown out there to see who bites. A common characteristic of a troll is that the person who instigates it stays above the fray and doesn't participate in the fireworks.

If it was a troll, nicely done, Clofchik. :D

Yeah, those disgusting Green Trout... sometime I just can't keep them off of my hook!!! :rolleyes:

I'd rather catch the Striped Atlantis SaLmon Bass, but those damn Green Trout keep hitting my lure!!! :angry:

As far as eating a Green Trout.. they're way down on my list, gimme a Crappie or a Catfish instead any day!!! :P

Damned ol' Green Trout!!!

I was out with my 12 yr old this morning, we caught about 12 smallies and had a great time, fish were hitting hard and fast, even caught a walleye in amognst the bass, they weren't big fish, maybe 2-21/2 lbs at most but so strong for thier size. And..we were fiishing, we weren't trolling or drifting, we were casting for fish, we had to find them and figure out what they wanted to hit, it was a hell of alot more fun than any of the walleye fishing we did in the spring.

Personally i don't undersand how anyone could be bored by that, not if you like to fish, I would say that liking to eat fish enough to want to go out and catch them doesn't mean you like to fish, it just means you're hungry. You see it here in the spring when every tom dick and harry is on the lake trying to catch dinner, they don't even look like they want to be out there and alot of them are the most inconsiderate (did you really need to park your boat 50 feet in front of mine on the drift path my boat was on..the other 5 miles of shoreline wasn't enough for you..sigh) and unsportsman like people to have to share the lake with. I like a walley as much as the next guy but the fishing has tapered off here and in at least one way thats good, the lake is alot quieter and there are fewer idiots putting the cover on thier boats while still on the ramp!

For simple fun it's hard to beat a smallmouth, if you don't feel that way you definitely don't experience fishing the same way i do, but to each his own.

CLofchi, have you ever caught a smallmouth bass over 5pnds? What about you GCD?

Both of you, can you please tell me of a freshwater species that has as much fight per pound as a Small Mouth Bass? And GCD, just to be clear, I'm talking about fish here ;)