bass season

Hawg Hunter

hello all ive got an old 14' tin can with a 20hp motor on it(both 1980s lol) and im wondering if i need boat insurance on it.

sorry for such a silly ? but i really don't know lol

Hawg Hunter

As i understand it....you do not need boat ins. in ontario. It is not mandatory for any watercraft. If things have changed...someone else can chime in and correct me.

The 2 main reasons to have boat insurance are for liability and loss. (Such as damage or theft, similar to collision and comprehensive on a car). But, unlike a car, you will not be asked for proof of insurance if you get pulled over in the water. They will want to see your fishing license, boaters card, safety gear, check you are not over capacity, and that the vessel is in seaworthy shape, along with looking for any signs of alcohol consumption, etc.

FOTB

it wasnt a stupid question at all...stupid would be NOT asking the question...

Things change as circumstances change ...with more boat traffic and jet skiis wandering into swimming areas ( no im not targeting jet skis ) its just a matter of a few more accidental deaths then the Gov will get diligent to watercraft insurance...just like they did for Quads and snowmobiles