Polarized Sunglasses

Happy Hooker

Hi all,

Looking for a little advice on purchasing a new pair of polarized sunglasses. I am willing to spend more for a quality pair but are they worth it?

Anybody have any reccomendations on brand and tints. I read a little about Maui Jim's but am wondering if a pair with glass lenses are a good idea considering the size and weight of the baits we chuck when musky fishing?

I realize the different lense tints are for different light conditions but what is a good all round tint? What about glasses with interchangable lenses anybody have a pair - good, bad?

I am looking for a pair that are comfortable, can help with seeing follows, are the correct tint to get good results in any light conditions and for safety from not only UV rays but also mis-guided lures.

Hope to hear all your experiences good or bad. Thanks in advance.

Happy Hooker

Steve

Hi all,

Looking for a little advice on purchasing a new pair of polarized sunglasses. I am willing to spend more for a quality pair but are they worth it?

Anybody have any reccomendations on brand and tints. I read a little about Maui Jim's but am wondering if a pair with glass lenses are a good idea considering the size and weight of the baits we chuck when musky fishing?

I realize the different lense tints are for different light conditions but what is a good all round tint? What about glasses with interchangable lenses anybody have a pair - good, bad?

I am looking for a pair that are comfortable, can help with seeing follows, are the correct tint to get good results in any light conditions and for safety from not only UV rays but also mis-guided lures.

Hope to hear all your experiences good or bad. Thanks in advance.

Happy Hooker

Steve

Jeez. Seems to me welder's goggles might be more appropriate for having one of those monstro muskie lures comes zinging back at yer face.

JF

I can't speak for the really nice ones, but I picked up a pair of Berkley optical lens glasses from Walmart, and they are a big step up from the bottom shelf stuff, at a marginal increase in price. I prefer brown lenses as a good all-round choice. They are usable in lower light than the gray ones, and less obtrusive and better in bright sun than amber.

Thanks for the replies guys, anybody try the solar bats?

Happy Hooker

many have and like them, have a quick search of the site for "solar bats" or "polarized sunglasses" and you will find the comments.

I just bought a pair of Solar Bats, amber lens. I hope they work out. I think they will be great in the morning and evening. I think the polarization is good, very light, mimimal distortion. I will likely need a second pair for really bright mid day sun. I wouldn't mind trying their greenish moss tint. I have the "Knife" model. I wasn't impressed with some of their styles, some of the frames look and feel very cheap and flimsy. Andy

Surprised nobody's recommended Oakley... I'd take them over Ray Ban or Maui Jim any day but that's just me...

I use the Hijinx frame by them with their VR28 lenses. helps to lighten up what I'm seeing, darker dropoffs etc.

EDIT: Oh ya, to address your other questions... they are interchangeable lenses (I took out the regular polarized grey), but you have to keep in mind that you'll likely have to negotiate scratches on your frames and possibly "loosened" lens cavities further down the road. They make the frames large enough to squeeze lenses in and out but tight enough that the lenses stay put. If you're constantly playing with this structure, it's bound to develop more play and the lenses may not be as tight. I don't know if it's true, but just something to think about.

Edited by jayess