Sign in to follow this  
backbay

Belated June 13/14 report

We had hoped to be on the road to Gbay Friday, but my pal Mike had to work, and we didn't get to the cottage until early afternoon Saturday. We still spent some decent time on the water, and caught a few eating-size pike.

We didn't waste much time in getting them into the fryer:

P1010354_edited.jpg

With morning mist, calm water and a quickly-downed breakfast on Sunday, I was good to go. This is what it looked like from the dock:

P1010356.jpg

A bowfin tends to her young in the shallows by the dock:

P1010357.jpg

The weather turned out to be almost too good. We caught a 4 or 5 weed rockets and a couple of more respectable pike, but I decided if the bite wasn't really happening, then I would go big. I broke out my heavy gear and started throwing a big black Bucher Spinner bait with a Berkley gulp perch on the trailer hook. Then this guy came along:

P1010359_edited.jpg

And that made my day! I've never thought of myself as a walleye fisherman, and don't generally go after them, especially where we were, because they're very seldom caught. We were fishing an area that is fairly shallow; the strike came in somewhat deeper water, adjacent to the weed beds. Coming up, I thought he was maybe a muskie, knew he wasn't a pike, and was pretty surprised when I saw the dorsal fin.

At 31 inches, that's my best 'eye ever. A couple more photos, and back in the water he went.

A great way to wind up the weekend!

Backbay

Wow, that is a nice Walleye, they are pretty hard to come by on Southern Georgian Bay, if thats where you were.

You're right on both counts, Ciceri! I was pretty surprised to catch it, especially on the big spinnerbait, but really felt great knowing they're around.

You're right on both counts, Ciceri! I was pretty surprised to catch it, especially on the big spinnerbait, but really felt great knowing they're around.

Yeah, Georgian Bay is a great lake to fish, has every fish there is. I still haven't caught my first walleye or musky out there yet though.

Nice picture, I hope to be out there tomorrow looking for some big Smallies!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this