Ice Fishing Seminar-Barrie

Spiel

....Just found this little notice in the Barrie Advance.

Ice Fishing seminar

Simcoe Bait and Tackle presents a special free in-store seminar on ice fishing on Tuesday, Feb. 13, at 7 p.m.

Award-winning outdoor writer, and renowned ice angling instructor Wil Wegman will be presenting a program entitled, Ice Fishing Lake Simcoe: Adapting To A Changing Lake.’

Learn how the lake has changed over the years and what you can do to adapt to these changes. Also learn about four key Simcoe species – lake trout, whitefish, yellow perch and northern pike – and special techniques to catch them.

Seating is limited. For more information, or to reserve a spot, call 737-4819.

Pikeie and I made it there just before 7pm and got some of the last few seats , it end up a full house with 53 people in attendance.

Wils presentation was interesting and well balanced , something for the novice as well as the more experienced.

Lots of interesting facts about the lake

55 species of fish

1962 Rainbow smelt first discovered

1987 Black crappie first discovered

2000 blue gill

2005 rusty crayfish

2006 goby

in 2004 Quagga mussels were found , they like everything Zebra mussels don't deep water , soft bottoms

Discussions on how these invading sepcies effect the fish .IE Whitefish at 60FOW now commonly hit lures suspended at the 30 foot mark , pike are getting tougher thru the ice both could be a result of water clarity improving .

Interesting discussion on perch and how everyone is experiencing more 'dinks' less jumbos .Appears to be no clear answer but with the appearance of the Spiney water flea the perch or becoming used to ' sucking' them off plant life resulting in a much softer 'bite'

Wils suggestions boiled down to finesse presentations ( lighter line , smaller baits, less and more subtle jigging) and watching your line.

Good night , ended up with a few lures as a door prize and met up with a fellow OFNR 'FYRFTRY' )sorry as I may have butchered your handle.)

Hopefully more local events like this to come.

Tinbanger

excellent event--snagged a door prize myself-BaddBoyz

thanks Lou and Lady--was well balanced -nice of you to make an appearance RR!!

got the maggots in the bottom of the crisper--trust me-they can freeze before we tuck those babies under our lips

learned stacks

newbies can win tournaments too with those tips

1 Use Two Hole Approach

2 Use Finesse Approach

3 Stay Mobile if possible

4 Do not over Jig

5 Play safe

was the bottom-line message

Cheers

ID1