Island Lake Conservation Area / Orangeville Resevoir

MSBruno

Been there before in the past and haven't had much luck at all.

Anyone willing to help? Either on here or PM. I've tried PM'ing a few people with some advice and doing a lot of searching on the net and OFC, but not much luck.

Thanks in advance

Pike everywhere, mostly snot rockets, very willing to bite anything you throw at them. I've had better luck with bass at the deeper end of the lake. Takes forever to get there on a trolling motor, but usually worth the wait.

Pull the lake up on Google Maps and look at the satellite shot of it...the deep sections become very apparent...that and Virtual Maps SDK...shows a good amount of structure, which is where you'll want to be. I've only ice fished it a couple times...small-ish pike...crappie are supposed to be in there, but not in great numbers I've heard...and you should run into some OK bass.

Pull the lake up on Google Maps and look at the satellite shot of it...the deep sections become very apparent...that and Virtual Maps SDK...shows a good amount of structure, which is where you'll want to be. I've only ice fished it a couple times...small-ish pike...crappie are supposed to be in there, but not in great numbers I've heard...and you should run into some OK bass.

I've looked on google maps and have a topo map also.

Looking for some actual experience here.

Thanks

Hey fished there lots, some days are better than others. Try just out and to the right of the docks about 50 yrds. There are some good perch and panfish to be had there. If you venture all the way around the corner you'll find decent weedy areas that will have some buckets, use a surface lure thats weedless (mossboss) or something the like. Once you get to the back of the lake it will deepen to more than 20'. Try the flooded timbers and shoreline structure. There was an independant study done there a few yrs back and they found that the dissolved oxygen levels were less than desireable for the deepest hole once you get below 10', having said that you can mark fish and catch them off the drops. Good luck and remember to release your bass and you will be encouraged to keep your limit of pike, panfish limit I beleive is 10 or something like that. Have fun its a nice lake. No gas motors, except the park employees...they whip around sometimes checkin on boat rentals and their alotted times. Hope this helps. B)

I've only been there about a dozen times, but really love the lake.

For Pike:

-The bait for me that seems to have outproduced all others is a Manns Baby 1-. In fire tiger. I used to fish it without a leader, but got bit off a couple times and started using a leader. I once found one of my baits that got bit off the next day and caught a fish on it after recovery, that was cool. This bait stays above the weeds in May and early June and can cast really far. It's something a novice can troll or you can cast it to targets. The occasional twitch is helpful at times. My best day was 27 pike, with 2 over 5 lbs. The biggest I've landed was an 8 lb 3 oz er. A nice fish for that lake, but there have been some GIANT fish come out of that little pond.

For Bass:

-The bottom (deep) end of the lake, turn right from the ramp and go past the islands and there are some sunken trees. There is an osprey habitat I think that is off-limits so be careful to stay out of there. I've caught some very nice fish (5+) of jigs in the sunken timber and near the few lily pads. I've gotten some on jerkbaits as well on the edges of the deep pool.

-The dam towards Hwy 10. Turn left from the ramp and go to the furthest corner. There is deep water right by the dam and usually slop blown up creating a mat. Done good with worms and senkos and tubes along the rip rap too when the water is high enough.

-The other dam sorta straight out from the ramp with a small dog-leg right. There is a rip rap wall running a couple hundred yards. I've caught more fish in that stretch than the rest of the lake put together. Lots of bait collect in that area and that is also where the big pike came from. I like to cover water in this stretch with toad, spook, buzzbait or spinnerbait. There is a rock shoal in the area that is always good for a fish or two. When the water level is high, there is a stump field as well near there that can hold fish but is hard to get back in to in low water.

If you don't have a boat, rent a boat with an electric troller. I found that by leaving it on constant at the lowest setting, I could stand in the back and make subtle steering adjustments with my foot. Don't try it unless your balance is good and maybe keep your life jacket on.

Good luck.

Use your map to try and find the old original river channel. It's kind of tough without a fishfinder, but pretty much where the weeds stop growing because it's too deep. Fish those last weeds on either side of the old river with small jigs in 1/16oz size with grubs for perch and crappie. I like using sluggos between the islands on the way back to the deep water area for bass. The pike will find you.

Only been twice - did some run and gun walking along the accessable shoreline. Picked up a few decent bass (fun, ~2lb smallies) using black/gold rapala originals.

My brother's been out in a boat a time or two, and definitely done better on the opposite side of the lake where it's a bit deeper. Johnnyb's right though - the layout of the lake vs what I've been told is use your topo/google maps and work the deeper holes.

good luck!