belwood lake, fergus

l2p

hey all, heard word from a friend that theres a lake on the grand up by fergus called belwood lake. from what ive heard there is warm water species above the dam in the lake and a good stretch of trout river below. now for my questions, what specific species can be caught(just wanna know so i know what to pack and bring) and second, is there any special regs that we should know about? ive fished the forks of the credit and know that some specific regs do apply such as barbless hooks and no live bait and such but am not to sure if it applies on the grand. any info would be of great help, and if need be a pm would suffice. thanks again!

-l2p

There are special regs on the Grand River- no live bait, single barbless hook, all catch and release.

As for Bellwood Lake, the main species are pike and bass, and since bass isn't open yet, you'll likely want to focus on pike. The lake also has panfish as well.

Im thinkin about heading out myself. Is it a shallow lake? Any submersed rocks or islands to look out for?

[/quote

I don't know the lake well enough to to confidently answer this question but you should ask at the gatehouse when you enter the park. The attendants may be able to point out any trouble areas.

But water levels are high right now so that's good.

near the dam and towards the center of the lake is deep. There are some flats with deep pools also. The map is not very good. Ask to take a look at it when you drive in and then decide if you want to buy it. I forget what they sell if for but it should only be worth 5 bucks at the most i think they want like 15 of 20 anyway I don't think it's worth it.

Hey all New to the Board but schooled in the sport!! Just wanted you all to know I've been fishing Belwood Lake for pike and walleye alot over the past few weeks and been slaying them out there. Slow troll the shorelines in about 6-8 feet for the eyes...I've been getting best results with a x-rap shad fire tiger pattern for both walleye and pike...x-rap perch 3" has proven well too...Heading out there this morning again for the day...Good Luck...Great Fishing...and ALLWAYS keep a Tightline!!!!

• 1 year later...

6-8 feet for the eyes...I've been getting best results with a x-rap shad fire tiger pattern for both walleye and pike...x-rap perch 3" has proven well too...Heading out there this morning again for the day...Good Luck...Great Fishing...and ALLWAYS keep a Tightline!!!!

Thanks for the tips, me and chief are heading out tonight to try for some eyes at bellwood. and advice on were to start?