Power Worm Question

Going to be trying a older technique with just texas rigging a berkley power worm(7") this summer fishing it through semi thick(pads) vegetation. Would braid or mono be better with this kind of fishing, also what lb-test range.

Any any ways of retrieve should i be practicing while using this bait? I'm guessing working it like a jig/grub...just letting it sit and popping it up and down.

Fill me in please,

MTBF

Slow drag the worm. At a seminar a pro suggested that you try to sneak the worm past fish as if you didn't want them to notice it. Of course that works better in clear water than stained or muddied water. You might want a flouro or mono leader in clear water as well.

If you are talking about using a bullet sinker ahead of the worm...Texas rigging I have always felt that this was a punching-through-the-floating-slop, or a get-me-to-the bottom-fast deep water technique. Either way this is a bottom dragging technique.

For fishing in and around pads I prefer Senkos and Flukes that will stay at the surface and slide over the pads...not something that's going to drag in the mud and fight it's way passed the roots and stems. For these semi-surface baits I use 10 to 20 pound braid.

For true Texas rigging I want a casting rod and stout line maybe 30 to 40 pound braid.

Since you plan to fish this in the weeds, you might want to invest in a package of tooth picks and use them to peg the sinker to the worm. The rig slides through weeds better when the sinker and worm stay together. As you guessed, the presentation is drag, hop and glide.

Mike fished properly it will putem in the boat for sure,it is best suited as a vertical presentation (dunkin weed pockets),it can be dragged/hopped but there are other baits more effective for finesse horizontal fishing.