Yet another life change for me

Stoty

Well, as if my life wasn't already a roller coaster, I've added another loop to it!

With the really unstable market in the computer/technology industry, I have decided to go back to school for Fire Fighting.

I applied to schools a few months back, and just got an acceptance letter from Seneca today!

The idea of going back to school will take a little getting used to, having completed high school including OAC, and 3 years of college already.

But hey, let's hope this is a decision that pays off!

Good Luck --I hope it'll be for you---very physically and at times emotionally taxing.

On a side note---If I was a computer type guy and looking for a career with good pay and job security

Electricians in industry play with PLC's more than pulling wire----or Robotics and it's programming is the future.

I was a tradesman most of my career-----hard to be out of work--pretty fair living also.

Bushart

Stoty , as someone who probably spent too much time in school , first one BA and than another and than a masters, go for it . Im sure head hunter will post , in these times you can never have too much schooling . If you can work out the money go for it .I have had steady employment in good paying very rewarding jobs for 35 years and now Im looking forward too a long retirement with almost the same pay with my indexed pension as I had when I worked , good luck never wrong to go to school if the funds allow.

Seeing how Lew is having such a great time fishing all over the place now, is that why you wanted to do fire fighting? :P

School really isn't that bad. I'm almost done my 5 year co-op undergraduate program and I have been doing a work/study schedule on a 4 month interval. To be honest, I enjoy school alot more.

Good luck to whichever you decide to pursue in the end!

Go for it Stoty, A choice I messed up when I was younger and now wish I could go back. A demanding job but great satisfaction and it's never boring. My cousin was in sales and marketing and made the switch. Loads of training oppurtunities.

Get in young and you'll have a great retirement ahead of you. I used to fish with 2 retired captains from Arnprior area. Wish I had there life. Fish all summer in Ontario and then follow the nascar through the south in the motorhome!

Stoty

No need to get out of IT.

Just move to the bush where they're hurtin' for IT guys.

That's what I did and it's the best decision I have made, besides going back to school in 2000 to learn this IT stuff.

Now I have been out working in the IT field for 8 years and am an IT manager for the gov. of the NWT.

So not only do I have a great job, I live within' minutes of some of the best fishing around and over 20 hours of daylight in the summer to take advantage of it!!!! :D

Good luck in what ever you do.

Stoty

No need to get out of IT.

Just move to the bush where they're hurtin' for IT guys.

That's what I did and it's the best decision I have made, besides going back to school in 2000 to learn this IT stuff.

Now I have been out working in the IT field for 8 years and am an IT manager for the gov. of the NWT.

So not only do I have a great job, I live within' minutes of some of the best fishing around and over 20 hours of daylight in the summer to take advantage of it!!!! :D

Good luck in what ever you do.

And perpetual darkness in the winter... Sorry, you can have your NWT!! :P:rolleyes:

congrats stoty. it takes more than school to get on the truck, there is a long waiting list in gta already, hope you chose pre service and not the 2 or 3 year program.

good luck.

This is good advice. What is the placement rate after grad?

Not to pee in your cornflakes, but every Kid that doesn't want to take math in grade 12 is signing up for police foundations or firefighting.

Is the govy paying for this (EI re-training) by chance?

Jim

Education is never a bad thing, and it's not heavy to carry around with you.

That was a favourite saying of an old neighbour of mine. I liked it and heard it often from him,so it has stuck with me.

However might I suggest you steer clear of predicting Stanley Cup winnners as a career choice. I don't see that working out real well for you!!!!!

JK of course...but I just had to do that.

Good luck at whatever you choose. Give it 100% and you will be fine.

If you cant get a job there MOVE. Saskatchewan is calling for 300 more Fire Fighters to Combat the Forest Fires throughout the province burning presently. Cities and Towns are also getting Bigger. Oh, I also Hope you have a stong Heart. Number 1 Killer for Firefighters.

Good for you,

Its one hell of a career :D I work in Toronto on one of the Heavy Rescue trucks ( Fires, High angle rescue, confined space rescue, water rescue, ice rescue, Auto ex and the list goes on....)

Its been a dream come true for me.

The competition is fierce for the job BUT DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! keep applying every where.

Good luck!

If ya do your co-op placement in T.O let me know!

R

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

To answer a few questions:

1) Yes, I am doing the pre-service course

2) I have 3 connections in with the local departments (I know 3 chiefs), so hopefully I can slide in there somewhere.

3) Yes, my schooling is being paid for, through an organization.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

To answer a few questions:

1) Yes, I am doing the pre-service course

2) I have 3 connections in with the local departments (I know 3 chiefs), so hopefully I can slide in there somewhere.

3) Yes, my schooling is being paid for, through an organization.

May be an idea to keep the chief thing to yourself ;)

BTW The City HR person in the interview has farrrrrrrr more pull.

Congrats on the career choice stoty

i joined our volunteer fire dept ten years ago and it has been the most sastifiying

thing i have ever done

became chief a little over a year ago

hope it works out for you and you get on somewhere

(if it doesn't we are always looking for more volunteers ;) ..........pay is terrible but the fishing is unmatched :D )

Good luck on your new career choice Stoty! The upside of being a Fire Fighter is the days off you receive, which would allow you to have a small business on the side, continuing your I.T. consulting.

You may find yourself busier than ever, once you secure the fire fighters job and your clients start to call you requesting I.T. services.

I hope it works out for you!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I know that on this board I'm just a background character and my comment is just another in a string but for what its worth. I made the decision a while ago to go back to school and it was the BEST move I have ever made. It has made all the difference in my life. It will be tough but invest in yourself. best wishes.

Edited by Hud

Tough decision, but a good one! There's nothing wrong with taking a gamble by going back to school, really it's an expensive lottery ticket with really high odds. I, like you went through high school including OAC, then headed to University for 4 years, then a couple years off, then back to Uni for another year. I still don't think I'm done, I will likely go back for a masters, and I continue to take online courses to upgrade some qualifications.

Good luck with the new career path Stoty!

I have been in IT since 2003. I did 11 years on the roof before that. I have been working steady since I graduated and no end in sight. But, I decided to compete in the latest fire fighter recruitment competition this past Jan. I had 2 weeks of training before hand. Since I am an ice climber my base fitness is not too bad.

380 wrote the test. 109 scored high enough to get invited to physical 1. If you pass #1 you get a 15 minute rest then move on the Physical #2. I seemed to get better and faster with each event.

Something like 35 passed #2 myself included, and were eligible for the interview selection. This is where I crapped the bed. I have fire fighter friends and I still didn't get an interview. I don't have any other license other than G. plus no previous fire fighter training. I have high angle rescue training, and Wilderness Advanced First Aid. I guess other suggestions by others like Class "A" license and the right course will help. I bet knowing the chief is going to be your ace in hand.

I found out later that 8 were hired in the latest round. Oh well, I should be in better shape next time and blow the doors off that place. Maybe I will at least get an interview.