Ice Fishing First Timer - needs help

Hi folks.

I'm planning my first ever ice fishing trip tomorrow. A friend of mine has an auger and we are planning to head out and fish for perch in Cooks Bay on Lake Simcoe. Was thinking of going out from Gilford.

Being from the London, England the idea of walking on a frozen lake is a bit alien to me so am a little worried about safety. I've looked on the Simcoe boards and it seems to suggest Cooks Bay has 8-12 inches of ice - that should be safe to walk on?

Any tips for fishing Cooks Bay? How far should I walk out from Gilford to get to good perchin depths? Any good baits? jigging action? etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Your are in great hands when your on Cooks Bay. Don't worry theres a hut operator out there so the ice is safe.

You should see alot of huts out there when your standing on the shore line so you'll know its safe.

Like me when i was first asked to go ice fishing.. I was warry too. :unsure: Hear all kinds of stoires about accidents and all. But when you see the actual picture and when you step onto the ice at this time of year... you'd be amazed at how solid the ice is at 12 inches. I was impressed and amazed. All fear suddenly disappeared and I was having a great time.

Mind you your going to cooks bay you'll proably be in 15-28 feet of water. Solid Ice

When I'm head out I'm going for 70-80 fow. :thumbsup_anim:

dsn

Thanks for the encouragement dsn. Am a bit apprehensive at the moment but as you say once i see all those huts and people out there I'm sure I will just want to get out there and catch some fish :Gonefishing:

I'll try and do a report tonight or tomorrow.