Elephant Lake Ontario !

Lunker777

Hey everyone.... less than 2 weeks till opener and the trip up north !

I will be fishing Elephant Lake mostly for pike and LMB.... I was just wondering what I should be using for the pike up there ??? I've only fished the northern lakes once and that was through the ice haha So I'm a little lost on what I should plan on bringing....

If I could get a general idea of what to bring that would be great.... I have my LMB stuff pretty well in order.... but the pike things are where Ill need some help !

Thanks in advance !

White spinnerbiats!!!!! Silver hammered colorado blades!

Just drift the caggabe out in the middle of the lake and burn the spinners. You'll get TONs of pike, and some bass too. You might even get lucky and get a walleye or musky while your at it. That's pretty much all I use on that lake, and I fish it a fair bit in the summer. I might even be there when you are!

S.

Just drift the caggabe out in the middle of the lake and burn the spinners. You'll get TONs of pike, and some bass too. You might even get lucky and get a walleye or musky while your at it. That's pretty much all I use on that lake, and I fish it a fair bit in the summer. I might even be there when you are!

S.

Musky eh ? how big are we talking.... I want to catch some BIG fish hahah if possible !

I think I got lots of white spinners.... Im gunna stop by BPS on they way up to !

S.

sinker hit the nail on the head.. with white spinner baits..

mepps black furry (with the yellow dots) never let me down up there either..

any crank baits in perch patterns... xraps, big original floating raps.. caught some bigger pike on 8" believers too..

You'll be lucky to see a musky these days in Elephant. You are actually more likely to see a Tiger musky (pike/musky cross) than a regular musky. I used to fish the lake before the pike took over, even then we never came across any walleye. Spinnerbaits or inline bucktails will work for pike and try sluggos, senkos or texas rigged worms for bass.

There are still musky in there. Just not as many, and when you do get one, its a good one!!

Just keep casting the cabbage. I've fished that lake for at least 20 years, and that's all I do there. You have a chance at catching anything.

Where are you staying?

S.

There are still musky in there. Just not as many, and when you do get one, its a good one!!

Just keep casting the cabbage. I've fished that lake for at least 20 years, and that's all I do there. You have a chance at catching anything.

Where are you staying?

S.

Im going to be staying in Wilberforce, We have a cottage on Pussey Lake .... Maybe we could meet up for a morning/day of fishing ???? if your going to be around !!!

I dont know the lake aswell for any obstacles I should be looking out for !

You'll be lucky to see a musky these days in Elephant. You are actually more likely to see a Tiger musky (pike/musky cross) than a regular musky......

How long have the pike been in there? I always heard Elephant/Baptiste were decent numbers musky lakes, planned on camping up there for a weekend this year if I can find the time.

We used to hold our musky hunt weekend at Elephant from 1991 to 2000. Always caught musky, never caught pike. After switching to Pigeon in 2001 we went back to Elephant in 2002. In 2002 we caught nothing but pike and twice as many as we ever caught musky. Bass fishery is still very good though.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.... I hope to hook into some nice fish... make the trip worth while ! hahah

Should I be using a leader when fishing for pike ???? if so, what ?

Also, what type of rod/reel should I expect to get away with ? Just what Im using for large mouths or do I need something specific..... Sorry for the dumb questions... But I know the pike up north compared to here are not the same !!

I've already spent 3 weeks on the lake this spring. There are lots of pike in the lake now and if you fish the weeds you should get them. Try and find weeds in 10 feet of water or more for larger fish. Husky jerks and spinnerbaits work well for the pike. The bass numbers are down the last few years since the pike have arrived but they are still there. I will be there as well for the opener and the following 2 weeks.

Casey

I would use a leader for sure either florocarbon 50lbs range 12-18" for casting or a seven strand 30-50lbs these are alot easier to find around here or you can get the stuff you need a BPS. I like 20-30# braid for fishing pike or bass in heavy cover and using your LM rod/reel will be fine you might get into some big pike but then again we have many here on LSC over 40"es.