It's A Disease

JohnF

OK. So some of us have come to terms with the fact that we suffer from an addiction. It may well be a minor and even relatively healthy one, but addiction it is - for some. You know what I'm talking about - Fishing!

Those of you who continue to delude yerselves into thinking it's okay to pore over catalogues and websites of fishing stuff, and to find yerselves fantasizing about beautiful fish instead of beautiful women (or hunky men in some cases), can just skip to the next thread right now cuz this one goes nowhere but downhill from here.

You still here? Then you've accepted the truth, AND THAT TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE BRETHREN - oops, sorry. A little fishy evangelism is normal, ain't it?

My brethren (and sistren), this question is for those among us who, although we concede to being corrupted by this pastime, we're still sufficiently in control of our impulses and our faculties to resist the lure of multi-digit priced rods and even more expensive reels, like the chosen few amongst us who have been touched by the spirit of long whippy rods and ridiculously large reels that resemble something our cave dwelling predecessors might have used had they had the technology we have today, and still chose to ignore it's benefits.

For those still with me, what are your 3 most favoured rod/reel combos? I won't suggest an upper end price limit, only leave it to yer common sense and good judgement to stay reasonable. If you think carp are a worthy target then by all means tell us about yer carping gear. If you think bass aren't a complete waste of time, tell us how you take them on. If you squander all yer time motoring out to blue water to run out football fields of line then tell us what yer favoured weapons are. If you think it's normal to tie little bitty fake bugs on an inordinately huge piece of plastic rope then by all means try to justify yer expenditures.

Hopefully this will ultimately get us a nice overview of what normal (dare I say that?) fisherpersons favour when it comes to gear for their respective fishy pursuits.

I'll kick it off with a list of my three, in order of usage -

1. Quantum Energy E10PT1 spinning reel with (at the moment) red Power Pro 15# braid on board. It's on a Quantum Encore 5'6" one-piece medium rod (under $150 without line)

2. Shimano Solstace 1000RH rear drag spinning reel with Stren braid (about 35# I think). On a Quantum Catalyst 5'3" one-piece medium rod (about $100 without line)

3. Quantum Energy PT baitcaster with the same line as the Shimano, whatever that is). On a Quantum Tour Edition PT 7' MH (about $225 without line)

The first one is my everyday creek rod cuz it's light and easy to carry for a few hours in the creek hunting smallmouths. I can sidearm most baits about as far as I want and still stay under the tree branches. The middle one is probably just a jerkbait rod, but I can also carry it on the creek if I'm tossing big enuf lures. It's very very stiff. The baitcaster is - well, a baitcaster for when I'm lucky enough to get out on a boat with guys who are willing to chuck baits instead of just trolling. It'll troll too but casting is way more fun.

So there's my offering for under $500. What's yers?

JF

3 rods and reels for under 500 bucks.

Joey has a Curado 300E thats going on a Spiel custom.

She also has a Abu d6 on a heavy st Croix.

I should stop there. The wife has better equipment then I. :lol::lol:<_<

Yes she does, Paul. :D

Okay John here's my list, but limiting me to three outfits is tough for a true gearpig...

1. St.Croix Avid 6'9" spinning rod ($180.00 CDN ) with a Shimano Stradic 1000($175.00 CDN) it's rated as med. light with an extra fast tip. This is my plastic's rod. I bought it specifically to fish Flukes, but it's great for weightless Senko's too.

2. G.Loomis GL3 MBR 843C ($230.00 US) with a Shimano Chronarch 100SF ($350.00CDN)

This is a 7" med/med. heavy rod. MBR stands for Magnum Bass Rod, and that's a pretty fair description. I use it to throw jerk baits and spinnerbaits a long way.

It was designed to pitch jigs and Texas rigged worms, so it's a great all purpose rod.

I have landed Pike and Musky as well as big southern Bass with it.

This is where it gets tough. I have 20 other rods and they all serve a purpose.

I am torn three ways between a Crankbait casting rod and a light Musky rod and a general duty casting rod...

If I was on the desert island, I guess I could fish crankbaits on a general purpose rod and I can land all those desert Musky on the MBR...HAHAHA.

3. G.Loomis IMX CR722. ($250.00US) with a Chronarch 100SF100 ($350.00CDN) This is a med. power 6' casting rod that is very accurate. It's my Pop "R" top water rod and handles all the teardrop shaped DT 3, 4, 6 and 7 and Fat "A", Flat "A" type baits.

My choices reflect my style and the fact that I fish from a boat.

Honourable Mention:

My all time favourite rod is a G.Loomis MBR784C This is a 6'6" true Med. Heavy rod rated for 1/4 to 1 ounce baits. I have owned at least 4 copies of this rod in several different grades/price ranges. It has caught Bass, Carp, Drum, Gar, Lake Trout, Musky, Pike, Rainbow/Steelhead and Walleye using Shimano Curado's, Calcutta's and Chronarch's and if I could only have one rod for everything this would be it.

Yeah... I also was underwhelmed at his equipment (let's hope his wife doesn't feel the same as we do eh?)

I think the last time I only had 3 rods and reels is when I was like 12 or something...

Well, I've got a couple of other rods and reels around here somewhere, but not that I use for anything much. And there's still those mysterious flythingies that I have yet to get under control.

I'm just trying to get a sense of what some of the less hardcore types have as everyday stuff.

JF

Well, I've got a couple of other rods and reels around here somewhere, but not that I use for anything much. And there's still those mysterious flythingies that I have yet to get under control.

I'm just trying to get a sense of what some of the less hardcore types have as everyday stuff.

JF

Walking into a tackle shop is kind of like walkinjg into a GoGo bar... if you like what you see, grab it and don't worry about how much it costs!!! :P

I stopped buying rods and reels under a hundred dollars a piece a few years ago. And that includes for the kids.

I got my son a StCroix premier 6'6 medium , fast ,one piece for easter this year.

Not to be uppity, but you can feel quality, and we are a serious fishing family.

Walking into a tackle shop is kind of like walkinjg into a GoGo bar... if you like what you see, grab it and don't worry about how much it costs!!! :P

You know....I really like your attitude.

Wanna come up here fishing sometime.

All the guys from Ohio will be up in August

I stopped buying rods and reels under a hundred dollars a piece a few years ago. And that includes for the kids.

I got my son a StCroix premier 6'6 medium , fast ,one piece for easter this year.

Not to be uppity, but you can feel quality, and we are a serious fishing family.

So I guess by most standards here I'm a pretty cautious spender. My wife will be pleased to hear that, even if she doesn't believe it.

Perhaps if I ever hook into a big muskie I'll start to appreciate the allure of really fine equipment. In the meantime my modest combos handle the bass real well.

JF

If I had to pick and keep it around the $500 mark it would be as follows...

1. Shimano Compre 7'0 Medium Power, Extra Fast action spinning with a Shimano Symetre FJ 3000 loaded with 15 pound Power Pro and a 12 pound Fluoro leader

2. Shimano Compre TC4 7'0" Medium Heavy, Moderate fast Crankbait baitcasting rod with a Shimano Citica E 200 loaded with 15 Pound Fluorocarbon line

3. Shimano Compre 7'0" Medium Heavy Extra Fast Casting rod with Shimano Citica E 200 loaded with 50 pound braid for flipping and heavier applications.

Total would be around $600 US... okay not quite $500 but the best warranty and quality for the money hands down... all would last a lifetime.

My personal picks for my three in my current arsenal...

1. G-Loomis CBR906C - 7'6" Crankbait casting rod - medium heavy, moderate fast with a Shimano Curade E5 200 loaded with 15 lb Fluorocarbon

2. G-Loomis BSR852 - 7'1" Medium Power, Extra Fast spinning with Shimano Stradic MgFb 3000 loaded with 15 lb Power pro and fluoro leader

3. G-Loomis BCFR954 - 7'11" Flipping - Heavy Power, Fast Action with Shimano Curado E7 loaded with 65 lb Power Pro

Would gladly fish with either set but absolutely love the power and weight of the Loomis rods... Garry2rs obviously feels the same way.

JP

If I had to pick and keep it around the $500 mark it would be as follows...

1. Shimano Compre 7'0 Medium Power, Extra Fast action spinning with a Shimano Symetre FJ 3000 loaded with 15 pound Power Pro and a 12 pound Fluoro leader

2. Shimano Compre TC4 7'0" Medium Heavy, Moderate fast Crankbait baitcasting rod with a Shimano Citica E 200 loaded with 15 Pound Fluorocarbon line

3. Shimano Compre 7'0" Medium Heavy Extra Fast Casting rod with Shimano Citica E 200 loaded with 50 pound braid for flipping and heavier applications.

Total would be around $600 US... okay not quite $500 but the best warranty and quality for the money hands down... all would last a lifetime.

JP

That's more like it. And I gotta admit that I underestimated my figures a tad. My three were closer to six than five too.

I discovered playing golf that there are a lot of people who believe they can buy a great game. The problem is that their game stays the same while the price tag keeps rising. My son (a pro) for his everyday clubs has custom fitted Callaways that are 1/2" longer than normal with Xstiff shafts, but he can drive a ball 350 yards with any regular shafted brand name club. The difference is in the control and/or feel which most folks just don't have in their game.

I wonder how many of us fisherfolk end up with gear that's way better than our ability. But I guess if the day ever comes that I feel like I'm better than my gear I'll probably want to spend some money on something better too. In the meantime I'll try to resist the temptation to "buy me a game". ;)

JF

Okay John here's my list, but limiting me to three outfits is tough for a true gearpig...

1. St.Croix Avid 6'9" spinning rod ($180.00 CDN ) with a Shimano Stradic 1000($175.00 CDN) it's rated as med. light with an extra fast tip. This is my plastic's rod. I bought it specifically to fish Flukes, but it's great for weightless Senko's too.

Garry I was looking at this same rod for walleye jigging, spin/worm harness rigging and such. If you have used it for such how does it fare out?

I discovered playing golf that there are a lot of people who believe they can buy a great game. The problem is that their game stays the same while the price tag keeps rising. My son (a pro) for his everyday clubs has custom fitted Callaways that are 1/2" longer than normal with Xstiff shafts, but he can drive a ball 350 yards with any regular shafted brand name club. The difference is in the control and/or feel which most folks just don't have in their game.

Right on.

Equipment doesn't count for nearly as much as technique.

For instance I have seen guys with something like a sporterized 1917-vintage .303 consistently outshoot other guys with the fanciest hunting rifles you can imagine, on a moving moose target at 100 yards. I've seen the same in trap shooting and pheasant hunting --- i.e. the guy with the Remington Wingmaster pump outshooting the guy with the Browning Citori over-and-under.

The fancy gun and premium ammo don't mean nuthin' if you can't hit what you're shooting at.

Similarly, an old-timer fishing in the back of the boat with basic gear he's had for many years can outfish a guy at the front with all the latest bells and whistles. The fish haven't gotten any smarter over the years, but the tackle companies have. :D

We all (most all) fall for the goodies that we think will give us the edge.

Ah I am a true disciple of JohnF, I generally only have one or two outfits that I'll use throughout the year and am morally opposed to any "single use" item, whether it be in the garage, in the kitchen or even for fishing.

It took me a long long while before I could crack the c-note barrier buying a fishing reel......and then only grudgingly and only when it was on sale :D

My three rigs this year, and with these three I'm good for channels, pike, carp, bass, trout and chinooks. Sure the hardcore carpers with their beep-beep pods may sneer at my baitcaster, pinheads write me off as a dilettante drifting with a spinning reel and bass guys chortle watching the guy in the canoe flip the slop with a pier casting rod....but somehow I still manage to catch fish.

1) Fenwick HMX 9' MH, $90 marked down from $130 (woot, bargain!). I love this rod, I'm swapping older reels back & forth until I pick up something worthy (waiting for someone to put Pfleuger Supreme's on sale :D), until then I'm using an Okuma Aventa ($50, on sale ofcourse) or Daiwa Emblem-X ($200.....that somebody lost in Bronte harbour lining chinooks and I dragged up off the bottom, woot free reel!)

2) Abu Conolon 6'6" Medium ($60), a nice soft, light but still stiff enough rod to flick tubes & topwaters. Has become my smallmouth rod and general "keep in trunk of car in case I feel like flicking a cast during lunch". Usually wears a small Quantum PTi ($100) or Daiwa Emblem-X.

3) Gah a baitcaster=too much money. St.Croix something ($100 on sale, ofcourse) with a Quantum thingamajig (paid for with gift card), finds use for carp. Keep trying to catch a real fish like a pike on it, but after half an hour casting I get annoyed and switch back to the uber awesome HMX. It's also my first, only, and last one piece rod. Keep bashing the tip into ceilings, windows, dogs.......

$300 for three very serviceable rigs that pretty much keep me covered all this season.

BAITCAST RODS

1-PIECE

MODEL# MAKE LENGTH # of PCS POWER LINE LURE WEIGHT COLOUR

XTR72XHT BPS "EXTREME" 7'2" 1 XTRA HEAVY 15 - 30LB. 1/2 - 1-1/2oz. GREEN

SE80TR69H1 RAPALA "SIGNATURE HM-55" 6'9" 1 XTRA HEAVY 20 - 50LB. 1/2 - 3oz. SILVER

2-PIECE

SXR86MHT-2 BROWNING "SIX RIVERS" 8'6" 2 MED. HEAVY 10 - 20LB. 3/8 - 1oz. BLACK

EGTT 66MH-2 FENWICK "EAGLE GT" 6'6" 2 MED. HEAVY 10 - 20LB. 3/8 - 1oz. GREEN

GS66MT-2 BPS "GRAPHITE SERIES" 6'6" 2 MEDIUM 8 - 17LB. 1/4 - 5/8oz. BLACK/SILVER

PMX90MHT PETE MAIN SIGNATURE SERIES 9'0" 2 MED. HEAVY 15 - 40LB. 1 - 4 oz. BLACK

SPINNING RODS

2-PIECE SPINNING RODS

SXR86MHS-2 BROWNING "SIX RIVERS" 8'6" 2 MED. HEAVY 6 - 17LB. 1/4 - 5/8oz. BLACK

HM-35 (LC50SP71ML2) RAPALA "LONG CAST HM-35" 7'1" 2 MED. LIGHT 4 - 10LB. 1/8 - 3/4oz. BLACK

FLOAT RODS

2-PIECE FLOAT RODS

CVS-L126L-2A SHIMANO "CONVERGENCE" 12"6 2 LIGHT 4 - 8LB. 1/32 - 5/16oz. BLACK

CVS-L126L-2 SHIMANO "CONVERGENCE" 12"6' 2 LIGHT 4 - 8LB. 1/32 - 5/16oz. BROWN

MG20FD13ML2 RAPALA "MAGNUM" 13" 2 MED. LIGHT 4 - 10LB. 1/32 - 5/16oz. BLACK

TOTAL RODS: 10

BAITCAST REELS

LOW PROFILE BAITCAST REELS

MAKE MODEL#

DAIWA "TIERRA" 153HL

DAIWA "TIERRA" 153HL

DAIWA "TIERRA" 153HL

ROUND BAITCAST REELS

MAKE MODEL

ABU GARCIA AMBASSADEUR "RECORD" RCN61

ABU GARCIA AMBASSADEUR "C4" 6601C4

ABU GARCIA AMBASSADEUR "C4" 5601C4

SPINNING REELS

MAKE MODEL#

QUANTUM "OPTIX 20" N/A

ABU GARCIA "CARDINAL" 104

MITCHELL "AVOCET II" S2000R

QUANTUM "ARRAY 10" AR 10 F

FLOAT REELS

MAKE MODEL#

RAVEN "MATRIX" N/A

That's what I've got - Sometimes I wonder why I have so many Rods! :) Then... When I go fishing... I love having the options available to me! :D

I can't list 3 specific setups either because the list of rods and reels i own is always changing. i think i get bored easily and like to play with new rods and reels. Part of the fun for me is catching fish on a few new rods or reels every season. I'm like women and their shoes.

I can generalize and put 3 together.

1- one long casting rod in the 8-8'6 range for distance and fish control, fast, M/MH, x-#17, with a 100/200 size casting reel, round reel.

2- a shorter casting rod for accuracy, 6'6 and 7' fast, H, x-#20, with a small, low profile casting reel or a 50/51 size round reel.

3- and a 7' #12 or #14 spinning rod, 2500 size reel that would probably not get used much but it's nice to have a spinning rod around.

John that was an interesting segue to a simple question. Unfortunately the question can't be answered.

I'd like to add that true greatness comes only with obsession.

The day we see you with an ear missing we'll know you've gone over the edge. :P

JF

What you are referring to is commonly known is the "music" world as G.A.S.!

Stands for .... GEAR AQUISITION SYNDROM!

It is an affliction that is very common amoung fisher people and will attack at any time. Typically, it strikes shortly after you just spent a ton of dough on something and you suddenly believe that you must also, add some other piece to your equipment puzzle.

This syndrom is only cured when a purchase is made, a significant amount of buyers remorse has set in and you realize that you probably could have gotten away without buying said gear.

Who am I kidding, G.A.S. is not cureable!

HH