Lake Of Bay Report - Last weekend

NAW

I fished Lake of Bays all day on Sunday.

Trolling for lakers mostly.

Didn't catch any lakers, but I did catch a bunch of MONSTER smallies.

Fished 30' - 15' of water around the river mouths with crank baits, and spoons.

Talking to some locals, they've been catching pike (some over 40"), and lakers, and the odd eye.

Maybe I'll have beter luck next time. Probly try tolling a little deeper.

Yup...sounds like deeper would be better...at least you had nice weather! I was trolling over in Minden, used a Pink Lady to get down deep and found the lakers. From standing on the dock, it was obvious that the bass are on their nests....and the kids could stand being in the water...so I'm thinking the lakers have headed deep. Good luck next time!

I was marking fish down in the 60' range, but don't have the tools to get my lures that deep.

I guess I'm a little to late for the shallow lakers the spring. Now I need to spend some money and get my lures deeper.

Any tips on the cheapest way to rig your tolling set up to drop down to the 100' range (without buying down riggers!)

Thanks,

The Pink Lady! Or Dipsy Divers. Torpedo Divers are newer, and do the same thing...supposed to be less drag...definitely some cheap, easy options out there for you! :) I paid maybe $10 for my Pink Lady a few years back, and it's great...they give you a chart to approximate how much line out vs. depth. It pulls really hard though...if those Torpedo Divers were on the market back then, I probably would have gone with them.

Edited by johnnyb

I was on the other side of the lake. I fished mostly in Ten Mile Bay, and around Dorset. I was marking them in the same depth too (60' to 80").

I was talking to some locals, and they said the trout have been a little harder to catch this year. Maybe the cool weather this spring has effected them a little.

First time on Lake of Bays. It's much bigger then I thought. I was going to try to make my way over to Dwight, but I only run a 15Hp motor, and that would have taken me a forever. I'd rather spend my time trolling around the other end of the lake.

I have been fishing up that way through the ice and in boats for almost twenty years.

I had heard 40 something years ago of walleye getting caught in the river below the dam in Baysville.

Not sure if that has any truth to it.

The surrounding lakes don't have any eyes in them either.

Unless someone stocked them a number of years ago.

Kenny G.