just got a job offer!

pike slayer

So im a second year general carpenter apprentice and a second year cabinetmaker apprentice and i was layed off in mid april. since then i havent been able to find much work. a little over a week ago a building contractor/reno guy called me and wanted to meet me at timmys for a coffee and little interview with him so i sad sure and i went and we talked and he said he'd get back to me. So he just called me this morning and asked if i found a job yet and i told him no and that im still looking and hes like alrite well come to the shop tomorrow and i can put you to work! Now this guy here has a really bad reputation around town and i don't know how this guy even has work! I've heard hes a real butcher and a real prick! i'm a little worried about going to work for this guy but for right now i'm willing to take anything, baggers can't be choosers. Now i want to know, if this guy is a real idiot and lets say after a month i can't handle him anymore and that i dont want to work for this guy anymore can i get back on EI till i find something else?

Suck it up and get off the EI!!

Okay, sounds harsh but you'll find better opportunities from the inside looking out rather than the outside looking in. You may not want to use him for a reference in the future but at least you'll be taking home better money.

Okay, sounds harsh but you'll find better opportunities from the inside looking out rather than the outside looking in. You may not want to use him for a reference in the future but at least you'll be taking home better money.

BINGO

Take what you can and get off EI.

Good Oppurtunity to effect change from within. EI is embarassing and i would shovel crap at a thousand places before succom to that tell him you have some concerns dont beat around the bush you told us tell him make sure that he casn continue your app. theres lots of work out there it just might not be what you want at the moment and you could have to do 2 jobs until your train comes in again dont do EI man its shameful MAN UP

If nothing else was around, and no other promising leads (i.e. somebody thinks they can offer you a good job in a couple of weeks), I'd take the job.

With the rep the guy has, he'll know you won't be around long if he's a miserable jerk, so the job might be good in the short-term, especially if he sees you're a good worker. Give it a chance, I'd say.

Take the job, keep looking. He may be a prick, but that may only be some folks opinion. One man's prick is another man's best friend. His network of industry contacts could become your new larger network.

Is he putting you on payroll or is he paying cash daily? Cash wouldn't affect your EI.

As mentioned above, you are significantly more marketable in the eyes of employers when your working vs not.

HH

Could be worse.. You could be a bagger..

I say give it an honest go. His reputation might be tarnished, but you have a ways to go to make one yourself.

Ya never know, you may turn out to be good friends. Good contacts go a long way sometimes.

cheers

HD

Good Oppurtunity to effect change from within. EI is embarassing and i would shovel crap at a thousand places before succom to that tell him you have some concerns dont beat around the bush you told us tell him make sure that he casn continue your app. theres lots of work out there it just might not be what you want at the moment and you could have to do 2 jobs until your train comes in again dont do EI man its shameful MAN UP

I resent that.

The government is trying to make EI shamefull.

EI stands for Employment Insurance. When it was started it was called Unemployment Insurance. INSURANCE. It is mandatory to pay into it. It is to help you, kinda like a savings account, for when you are unlucky enough to be out of work. It helps people get established in their chosen field. Gives them a bit of money between jobs to work and move up the ladder to permanent employment.

It changed to EI after mulroneys recession when the government didn't want to pay out the benefits after they took the premiums from the working man. The fund is loaded with money now and the government is using it as a source of income instead of giving it back to the policy holders when they need it most.

Living on welfare for an able bodied man is shamefull, collecting EI when you are between jobs is like letting the insurance company pay off an accident claim. Do you tell your insurance to just skip it when you wreck your car?

Well said Dara. the only time I would say it's shamefull is the people that make sure they only work just enough hours so they can collect EI . Anyone can run into hard luck and have to rely on the Government while getting back going and there's nothing wrong with that. ldub

Given the option to work, I say take it. I work in renovations and haven't worked much at all this year. I also don't get the option to collect EI, so just know that there are ppl out there that would give anything just to work at the moment. I don't think it's shameful to collect EI, but if the option to work instead is there, I would opt to work.

LOL.........now that's funny

but

I find when I am working I get lots of job offers

when out of work offers are few and far between

suck it up take the job

then size him up

if a better offer comes along grab it....

or stay on ie and fish fish fish

Give it a try. Nothing to lose is there?

I went through what you are feeling several years ago. The company and the owner had a reputation that proceeded him like a parade. I took the chance and made a little money, but I was always looking over my shoulder and was always apprehensive which was very unfortunate. If I had let my personal opinions hide themselves in my the far reaches of my mind and memory I would have done better in sales, made a lot more money and would have enhanced my own reputation for succeeding so well under such circumstances. Another possibility is that I could have pursued was to have confronted him with all I knew of his history (after getting started) and see what the results would have been. After all, I really had nothing to lose, right? And I would have gotten a lot off my chest after giving him the opportunity to discuss the situation. It would have not been pleasant to bring the matter forward but at least everything would have been out in the open, I would have some answers that were both truth and fiction but any answers to concerns that put your mind at ease are good.

Let go of your feelings and go for it. Like Bobby McFarren sang in his song..."Don't Worry, Be Happy."

ya i guess i'll give it a go and see what happens, i dont have much to loose and the pay is better then EI. The day after i got layed off i went down to job connect to see what they had to offer and there was postings for 4-5 different carpentry related job postings but they do not tell you who the employer is which really grinds my gears cause i know whos good in this town and whos not and well the next morning at 7am i get a call from a contractor asking to come in cause he really needs a guy and i asked who it was and he told me his name and as soon as he did i hung up the phone haha, i wanted nothing to do with that guy and i would rather sit on my butt making little money on EI then work for this guy. i sure hope that this opportunity is better then that guy and he said that my hours will count towards my apprenticeship working for him so thats the main reason why i'm going. i've had some pretty bad jobs in the past and im sure this one can't be worse then those. and it is true when you are sitting at home you do not get many offers even for side work but as soon as your working you gotta start turning ppl away. I just can't wait till i finally get my apprenticeship done and get my ticket so i can have alot more doors open for opportunities and somewhere that i actually want to work and for a long time, i find it really tough completing an apprenticeship if you dont have the right hook ups.

Guest steel'n'esox

Slowpoke nailed it right on, youll look better to a prospective employer if your working as aposed to not working.

Yer such a pain in the ass Pokey! :rolleyes: ... but you almost got this one right.

Go to work!... keep looking while you're working for this guy in case you need another job.

Sometimes the hardest people to work for are the best people to work for!... as you get older you'll see what I mean.

I personally would not work for someone you know is a prick already, you will not enjoy working for someone like that. I would say collect your EI, look into the second career strategy with the Ontario Government and choose a different field or career. But choose wisely if you do! Once your EI runs out then there is additional funding for the second career that would kick in. this way you can really commit yourself to school 100%.

I wouldn't listen to anyone saying suck it up and get off EI, thats why you pay into it. It's not like your one of those low life's abusing the system! Let the system work for you!

So im a second year general carpenter apprentice and a second year cabinetmaker apprentice and i was layed off in mid april. since then i havent been able to find much work. a little over a week ago a building contractor/reno guy called me and wanted to meet me at timmys for a coffee and little interview with him so i sad sure and i

Whos the butcher?