Help tips needed for troling crankbaits (wally divers etc...)

limeyangler

Hi all,

I've been invited to pre- fish for the Dryden Walleye Masters on Tuesday. The guy told me he wants to try trolling for walleye. The water is very stained to tea coloured where we are, nowhere is more than 40' deep. Any and all tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Edited by limeyangler

I seldom troll for walleye Simon but when I do a black and gold walleye diver (CD6 & CD7) is my go to lure. For me slow trolling 'em (1.2 -1.8 mph, back trolling is perfect for this) on a super thin braid gets 'em down and bump'n bottom which I believe is key to provoking strikes. Work it up and over and down structure like humps and shoals in 18-20 FOW.

Oh boy...tips for walleye...DARE I speak? :lol: While I have caught the majority of my walleye trolling, it's been in fairly shallow (8-11 FOW), stained, weedy water. The thing that's worked the best for me is moving the lure around a lot, with the rod. Stopping it by letting the line go slack momentarily, jerking it along, or just giving long slow pulls to speed it up, then let it drop back to normal speed. You guys might be using planer boards, so I don't imagine that will work well. Lots of people troll worm harnesses too though...unless bait is not allowed in the tournament.

Okay..I've rambled long enough...good luck!!!

If it is Wabigoon Lake you will want to try Gold Berkley Flicker Shads. They worked great last summer when I fished the PWT Can-Am. Lots of noise and flash on that bait.

If it was me fishing up there at this time of the year figuring your surface temp is in the mid to High 50's I would be going slow live bait rigging with FinTech Tech Sticks, pitching Nuckle Ball jigs along steep breaks or using slip floats in the back bays (back lakes) near spawning areas.

-s

Edited by eye-tracker

Lots of people troll worm harnesses too though...unless bait is not allowed in the tournament.

A crawler harness behind a heavy bottom bouncer is the way to go if bait or scented soft plastics (Gulp) are allowed. Drop it down till you feel it hit bottom then bring it back up a couple cranks and drop it in a rod holder. Keep your speed to about 1 - 1.5 mph and work from shallow to deeper water till you find'em.