Berkley B1 next weekend

darsky

I noticed some of the more visible names have had theirs taken off the list-Dave Mercer,JPD,Kalonka and Kulik. Are you guys still entered? If so-best of luck as prefishing starts tomorrow I believe. Almost 120 boats

Edited by darsky

Hi Darsky, I can't speak for Kulik but for myself and Dave, unfortunately our schedule just couldn't work with the time we needed to take off... I was really looking forward to this event as was Dave but sometimes work has to come before play :P

Hopefully next year we'll be able to get out there.

JP

Hi Darsky, I can't speak for Kulik but for myself and Dave, unfortunately our schedule just couldn't work with the time we needed to take off... I was really looking forward to this event as was Dave but sometimes work has to come before play :P

Hopefully next year we'll be able to get out there.

JP

Work eh?... doesn't winning a tourney require a lot of "work"?... and isn't there a substantial paycheck at the end for the one that "works" the hardest???

Are you sure there aren't "other issues" at stake here?

I'm sure your lessers will be more than happy to pick up your paycheck!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Just as well as the organizer was dishonest with his public information and placed the QMNR in a very bad situation .

I have placed a full report of what transpired in the request of a pre-opener for a practice period on a french message board.

I entirely opposed the request and provided scientific reason for not allowing such a preemptive practice period.

As a reminder the legal opener was the 19th of june ,the organizer miss-informed QMNR by requesting a practice period for june 15th which was accorded.

basically due to water temps most smallmouth have just begun to spawn,once again after a 3 year period we will see a late spawn and nest protection period,essentially fishing on nesting bass

Probably the best decision you guys took given the organizer duped the QMNR which will in turn lead to a later bass opener for 2011-2013

I wish I could post the information,but unfortunately my request of revision and opposition towards this practice period was drawn up in french.

a very good event but unfortunately the organizer lack of experience and lack of respect for the resource has shown itself

Roy has a copy of the entire file in which I lead the opposition to the request of a preemptive practice period commencing June 15th

Unfortunately this sets a bad example of what sport fishing represents

Just as well as the organizer was dishonest with his public information and placed the QMNR in a very bad situation .

I have placed a full report of what transpired in the request of a pre-opener for a practice period on a french message board.

I entirely opposed the request and provided scientific reason for not allowing such a preemptive practice period.

As a reminder the legal opener was the 19th of june ,the organizer miss-informed QMNR by requesting a practice period for june 15th which was accorded.

basically due to water temps most smallmouth have just begun to spawn,once again after a 3 year period we will see a late spawn and nest protection period,essentially fishing on nesting bass

Probably the best decision you guys took given the organizer duped the QMNR which will in turn lead to a later bass opener for 2011-2013

I wish I could post the information,but unfortunately my request of revision and opposition towards this practice period was drawn up in french.

a very good event but unfortunately the organizer lack of experience and lack of respect for the resource has shown itself

Roy has a copy of the entire file in which I lead the opposition to the request of a preemptive practice period commencing June 15th

Unfortunately this sets a bad example of what sport fishing represents

You say that like it's a bad thing Marc... ;)

Work eh?... doesn't winning a tourney require a lot of "work"?... and isn't there a substantial paycheck at the end for the one that "works" the hardest???

GCD, yes winning a tourney does take work and lots of it, I have spent 5 days pre fishing for an event, waking up at 5 every morning and fishing till 5 to try to figure things out in rain, cold and wind the time is the reason we couldn't go... just so you know I also run my own business and have for the past 16 years. What I do aside from fishing pays for fishing, it's that simple so between that and trying to do the show I just didn't have the time to put in nor did Dave. Hopefully our schedules will be better next year.

BTW... I would really appreciate it if you didn't try to put words in my mouth with your answers or assume there is something more to my answers since I have never met you or had the chance to speak with you.

JP

BTW... I would really appreciate it if you didn't try to put words in my mouth with your answers or assume there is something more to my answers since I have never met you or had the chance to speak with you.

JP

I'm sure your lessers will be more than happy to pick up your paycheck!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

They all look like questions to me...

I guess it's just a coincidence that the high profile names have dropped out of this tourney... Good Luck to all y'all next year!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I noticed some of the more visible names have had theirs taken off the list-Dave Mercer,JPD,Kalonka and Kulik.
Edited by GCD

GCD

dunno about you but if so many big names dropped out maybe there is more to the story and read what Marc said in his post..seems like an ethics thing....dunno

Knowing JP a bit I will say that he is pretty much the most generous guy out there.......he is the same guy that would drop all his rods and fish in the water before anyone else to save a sinking boat... so maybe a bit of slack here........

Hey Guys-

Not sure what list has names dropped out?, but Mark and I made the decision to participate in this tournament quite a few months ago (2nd team from Ontario and team # 13) and are locked and loaded to head to Quebec on tuesday.

The level of competition at this tournament is second to none and has attracted some of the hottest Bass sticks across Canada.

Good luck to all teams entered and participating.

http://www.extremeanglertv.com

Karl, the only names in there right now are Campeau and Wayne Izumi. Everyone else is out. I'm disappointed in how the whole thing went down. Is that what 'extreme' means? Fishing out of season? This MAY earn you a paycheck but hmmmm Make sure you have something to fall back onto. Sorry Bud but that's how I feel. It's illegal and you all know it.

Well to clear a few things up, Karl and I are #13 we were amongst the first to sign up in Ontario , we were and still are commited to this event! I just got off the phone with the organizer Ben Woo he has a letter from the MNR about the varience for pre-fish, we were going to fish it with only one day practice, the season in Quebec used to open a week earlier-hence the reason for the mix-up, I'm not a biologist, I'm a pro-angler so I'm not going to get into the moral thing here! I was on Lake Okachobee in Florida this year, where a slot is in place, however with a tournament permit a variance is granted and you can retain over-size bass for catch and release events, why? The government there realizes the financial impact these events bring into the local economy! Especially in these tough times, from all accounts the bass populations on these lakes are very healthy . in late springs I've fished trout streams on openers where the trout were on redds, lets face it if we really care about fish we shouldnt even be hooking them! I commend the hard work the organizers have put in to raise the bar in Canadian competitive fishing!-Looking forward to meeting some new people and some old freinds in Quebec this weekend!

If the anglers were to sit out the pre-fish, would that be OK? Fishing the day of the opener blind gives everyone the same shot and if they are the best "sticks" in the business that should reflect with some big fish anyhow, no? I always thought that prefishing should be eliminated, this situation just seems like the perfect start. Is there a link to your letter Marc? Theres alot of french speaking members that would be interested to read it.

I could translate it Jigger but it's like 100 pages from the MNR to the organiser to a bunch of other people. These are photocopies/scans of the actual letters....all signed. Interesting stuff.

The strange part about it for me is that Berkley didn't have a lot to do with it. It was thust upon them by a few folks who needed a few bucks.

I hope that the folks who are playing the tournament are safe and do well but I will never agree with it.

Well to clear a few things up, Karl and I are #13 we were amongst the first to sign up in Ontario , we were and still are commited to this event! I just got off the phone with the organizer Ben Woo he has a letter from the MNR about the varience for pre-fish, we were going to fish it with only one day practice, the season in Quebec used to open a week earlier-hence the reason for the mix-up, I'm not a biologist, I'm a pro-angler so I'm not going to get into the moral thing here! I was on Lake Okachobee in Florida this year, where a slot is in place, however with a tournament permit a variance is granted and you can retain over-size bass for catch and release events, why? The government there realizes the financial impact these events bring into the local economy! Especially in these tough times, from all accounts the bass populations on these lakes are very healthy . in late springs I've fished trout streams on openers where the trout were on redds, lets face it if we really care about fish we shouldnt even be hooking them! I commend the hard work the organizers have put in to raise the bar in Canadian competitive fishing!-Looking forward to meeting some new people and some old freinds in Quebec this weekend!

I have the same letter that ol Ben has....Only one day of practice you say? The season USED to open.....nobody checked the regs before calling a tourney. I had the regs in December! Financial impact??? 120 boats converge on two bodies of water....buy hot dogs, poutines and a hotel room...hell what more could we ask for? I applaud Mercer and DeRose for getting out when they did.

I applaud Mercer and DeRose for getting out when they did.

the most prolific statement you have ever made on this site

without adding specifics those that got out are and have gone up in the respect factor of many of the weekend warrior tournament guys...a variance order to fish for money is wrong plain and simple I dont care what when and or where. I have fished under such variance orders ( scientific capture liscences) that was a scientific purpose with a defined result in the mix but to fish it for a tournament is IMO wrong.......says a lot about those still willing to fish it knowing this, stewards and promotors of the fishery I think not...I dont see the casey cup getting a variance so it can fish early....nope not in Ontario and not by the OMNR :clapping:

Jp, Mercer I will buy shooters till our faces fall off at the fed cup for your decision here!!!! and Jp you know milo is good for them

one of the purposes I think of the high profile bass and TV anglers is to promote the sport to a new breed of anglers, participating in an event such as the B1 exemplifies what not to do......its just an opinion here

and Roy lets get this crystal clear French poutine is way better then the stuff from Ontario so ..........lol.......

Edited by aniceguy

Iv said this once and ill say it again......if they can have an all year open season in the states for bass there is no reason that we cannot have one here. As far as I am concerned this is the main reason we don't have any decent professional bass tour.

Mark and Karl,I was the one who formally opposed towards QMNR and presented scientific and biological data.

I have posted a conclusion on a french web site,unfortunately its french.

I should try and get a translation done

Both Woodo marketing and the rep from berckley were involved and miss informed the QMNR

With the aid of a politician from assemble national

In reality the entire process for asking such a pre season opener for a newly formed event organizer

was at best self serving and entirely non respectful of the resource

Ironically the same depute that request the support of this bending of the law presided over the parliamentary question period for the Resource

I can think that's a conflict of interest!

Knowing he was gonna preside prior to sending a letter of support

The denial of berckley involvement which I posses an email of request on behalf of the eastern sales rep

Seems contradictory for a company that does not adhere to its on conversation ethics

Ben woo public contradicted himself by issuing a statement of request for 2 days only pre-season practice period when the truth is he requested the 15 th of june

Presently there is no legal public ordinances or press release emitted by QMNR so essentially the legal right of pre season has not been ordained by QMNR

quite honestly its is a luck of faith I suppose

I wish all participants a wonderful vent but mostly safety on the water

Edited by marc thorpe

I have the same letter that ol Ben has....Only one day of practice you say? The season USED to open.....nobody checked the regs before calling a tourney. I had the regs in December! Financial impact??? 120 boats converge on two bodies of water....buy hot dogs, poutines and a hotel room...hell what more could we ask for? I applaud Mercer and DeRose for getting out when they did.

I agree, I guess it`s all about the money and sponsors the resource be damed!

Two thumbs up for Dave and J.P. for doing the right thing!

two thumbs up for everybody that is staying on board, too bad that JP and Dave had to pull out because of there work schedule. QMNRF has issued a letter to B1 organizer that is available on the B1 web site, that says that they can prefish 4 days earlier but catch and release, barbless hooks and opened to all licensed fisherman (not just participants) 120 boats staying in motels for 5-6 days is not peanuts for the area. They will eat in restaurants all this time(not just chip stands) and spend a ton of money on gas in all that prefishing .

Some can come up with studies after studies of why this is not good for the bass fishery but just as many could possibly Google as much studies that would show that it won't affect it.

They asked for an extension and they got it. So we have to live with it. Soome might think it's wrong but I think more power to them. Can't remember the guy that said it first but it goes something like " Ask and you shall receive!!!"

Some can come up with studies after studies of why this is not good for the bass fishery but just as many could possibly Google as much studies that would show that it won't affect it.

It is common knowledge that pulling a bass off its nest, barbless hooks or not, give opportunity for other fish to eat and destroy the fry. I don't care how many studies you read for or against it, common sense dictates bass will be destroyed in the process!

If the anglers were to sit out the pre-fish, would that be OK? Fishing the day of the opener blind gives everyone the same shot and if they are the best "sticks" in the business that should reflect with some big fish anyhow, no?

Sitting out the prefish would be the best bet for the high profile name IMO!... but paying an entry fee and only fishing the the days of the tournament would take a certain amount of humility... a quality that is most lacking in most Pro Bass Tourney fishers! <_<

I applaud Mr. Mercer, Mr. Delarose and all the other high profile names that have chose to sit this one one out for whatever their reasons are! :clapping: ... that shows me a fair amount of ethics, morals, and humility on their part!!!

This tourney would've been prefished with or without the QMNR's nod... I know, all the Bass Tourney fishers and their groupies on this site will say "Nay!... we/our idols are rightous and pure", yeah right!... until someone waves a hefty paycheck and tourney trail points under their nose!!!

You might ask yourself, "how would someone prefish this tourney OOS"?... it's easy, leave the tourney duds at the motel room, maybe even use a different boat (one without all those suck- :asshat: decals) :rolleyes: ... so a CO catches you throwing a spinnerbait at a weedline, then it's "No sir!... we're not Bass fishing we're Pike fishing!!!... see!, we have a nice one in the livewell!!!"... or maybe a CO sees you dragging a tube or a swimbait over a long point in 20 FOW?... "No Sir!!!... we're not Smallie fishing, we're Walleye fishing!!!"... holds up a nice keeper out of the livewell.

After this tourney is over Sunday evening, everything will be swept under the rug as far as the tourney trail is considered... after all, this is just local Quebec politics and doesn't really amount to a hill of beans on the Pro tourney/money trail!!!

The winner will take home a hefty paycheck and points taboot!!!

Mark and Karl,I was the one who formally opposed towards QMNR and presented scientific and biological data.

I have posted a conclusion on a french web site,unfortunately its french.

I should try and get a translation done

Both Woodo marketing and the rep from berckley were involved and miss informed the QMNR

With the aid of a politician from assemble national

In reality the entire process for asking such a pre season opener for a newly formed event organizer

was at best self serving and entirely non respectful of the resource

Ironically the same depute that request the support of this bending of the law presided over the parliamentary question period for the Resource

I can think that's a conflict of interest!

Knowing he was gonna preside prior to sending a letter of support

The denial of berckley involvement which I posses an email of request on behalf of the eastern sales rep

Seems contradictory for a company that does not adhere to its on conversation ethics

Ben woo public contradicted himself by issuing a statement of request for 2 days only pre-season practice period when the truth is he requested the 15 th of june

Presently there is no legal public ordinances or press release emitted by QMNR so essentially the legal right of pre season has not been ordained by QMNR

quite honestly its is a luck of faith I suppose

I wish all participants a wonderful vent but mostly safety on the water

I dont understand the need for a prefish.

If i remember right there is a clamp on prefishing all the Bassmaster Elite series now, Something like nothing for 3 weeks or so before the event.

Simply run it without a prefish, thats as even as anyone can ask for and legal too!!!

This doesnt seem very kosher to me......