Adding fluro leader

ColdH20guy

This all depends on the weight of the leader material we are talking about.

If you are using 130 pound Fluorocarbon for toothy critters like Muskies, then the double barrel crimp coller is fine. Put a bead on the line to protect the tip guide from the swivel, attach the leader to the swivel, using the crimp collar, then about a foot later attach another swivel or go straight to a cross lock snap etc. using another double crimp collar.

The leader will be about 12 to 24 inches long and will never have to go though the guides.

If you are talking about fluoro of 10 or 20 pounds, the Uni to Uni or two Blood or Nail Knots will hold the plastic to the braid. The leader can be as long or short as you want. These knots will wind through the guides...although they will rattle a bit on there way out again. I tried long fluoro leaders for casting and switched back to short ones already this year.

In between it gets harder and harder to make a good knot in the thick and thicker Fluorocarbon...I would revert to the crimps and swivels and make the leader short enough that it didn't have to go through the guides.

I don't think you need leaders on braid for reaction type presentations, like spinnerbaits and cranks etc. The fish is not inspecting the bait closely, they are attacking a fleeing object.

For slow moving baits like worms, drop-shot and shaky head rigs etc. A leader can't hurt....but we are now down to 10 to 20 pound test and it can be tied.

when i do summer fishing for bass, walleye, pike...i usually tie about 5-6 feet of fluoro to my line.

i simply tie a triple over hand knot to connect them together, and it hasn't failed yet..very strong knot.

when i do summer fishing for bass, walleye, pike...i usually tie about 5-6 feet of fluoro to my line.

i simply tie a triple over hand knot to connect them together, and it hasn't failed yet..very strong knot.

That's called a Surgeon's Knot, works just as well as a UNI-UNI.

Another good one is an Albright Knot.

Either are just as strong as a Uni, but a lot quicker and less fiddly to tie.