Men!

Sugarpacket

Last night an old friend of mine called me up and asked if I wanted to dip a line in the water and talk about old times. Of course like every good friend I agreed so we headed out to a local spot he picked. We were there for not even five minutes and he said he wanted to go somewhere else so he could set his hook into something besides sticks. We left and went to a spot I suggested. After 10 mins i hooked into a small sheephead (theres no pics since I have no camera and I'm actually typing this on my phone) and he starts to get antsy about 5 mins later i hook in to a tiny channel cat and hes like well its getting late should probably head home. !!! i had asked him oh a dozen times if he wants me to rig up his line with something differrent he was tossing a 6inch plastic minnow on a snell hook attached to a bobber. Before anyone says anything the guy never gets out fishing not sure if he really knows how and so being a spot i know pretty well I was offering advice and he said he didnt carif he caught fish he was just glad to get out... I could tell he didn't like i was catching fish and he wasnt but refused to take my help! I'm not sure why I wasn't pushing just trying to offer some advice! so if anyone out there can give me an opinion on what went wrong it would be appretiated!

First of all, he was a man!... and we men don't take advice from women on such manly sports as fishing and hunting! B)

He was throwing a manly bait and wanted to catch a manly fish!!! ;)

... he was probably also embarrassed that a mere woman was kickin' his :asshat: in such a manly sport :Gonefishing: !!! :w00t:

To answer the question of what went wrong...you should have had a bet with him for the FIRST FISH /BIGGEST FISH and MOST FISH @ 5 bucks for each category...sometimes it puts a little more sting into the situation if he isnt going to listen to your advice...

To answer the question of what went wrong...you should have had a bet with him for the FIRST FISH /BIGGEST FISH and MOST FISH @ 5 bucks for each category...sometimes it puts a little more sting into the situation if he isnt going to listen to your advice...

Had he taken her advice, and other men found out, he would definitley be considered less manly among those men!!! :blush:

Edited by GCD

Sugarpacket,

I have to go with Glen on this one :lol: That being said, a REAL man would have taken your advice and understood that it was about having fun and catching fish and not worry about his ego.

IF a woman or child or man ( for that matter) outfishes me then i consider it a compliment that i taught them well....if i take someone fishing to one of my spots and they dont catch anything ( under my instruction) then i feel bad.and write it off to the fish having lock jaw...but if they dont heed the advice i give them ...then stupid is as stupid does...i dont mind spending their money when they lose the bets...( usually in the pub ) rubbing more salt into their broken pride...

IF i was you ...i would be rubbing salt into the "man" like a man ( even though you are a "woman")

Its all part of the fun of "The Game"

That were no man you were fishing with. Can you say "child" :lol:

For years my fave fishing partner has been my mother, and she has managed to regularly hand me a platter of humility over the years. For that matter, so could my Gram :D

You just keep on shining and be the best you can be.

Perhaps I can add some insight into the male psyche.

The attributes an angler needs above all others, if he is to be consistently successful, are skill, and know-how, and it is these that every angler thinks he possesses from the day he commences to fish. No amount of logic will ever convince him that he is not a master angler, even though he returns from the stream for days on end without having caught, or even seen, a decent fish.

He has all the excuses of a thousand generations of other non-anglers to fall back on. The weather was too hot, or too cold, the stream too high, or low. The wind was from the wrong direction. The barometric pressure was at fault, or the water wasn't warm enough or cold enough. He forgot his solunar tables. The flies he bought at Pollack's were lousy; next time he'll get his flies from Wilson's.

A man may admit he's a poor talker, that his social graces are few or absent, that he cannot dance as well as an uncoordinated giraffe. He will cheerfully agree that, as an athlete, his best event is the standing broad grin. Most will admit to being poor poker players and that checkers and chess baffle them. But NO man will admit to being a lousy lover or a poor fisherman.

Why is this? Because man, in order to survive, has to be incurably optimistic in these two areas. It's like the story told in the army in World War 2. If an officer lined up 10 men, went the tale, and told them that he had to send them on adangerous mission in which nine of the ten would be killed, each man would look at the others and say to themselves, "Well I'm sure gonna miss those guys." The only anglers who will admit to not being all they should be as fishermen, oddly, are the ones who are actually very good, and who study and work to continually improve as well as broaden their horizons and seek out new experiences. Yea, verily, the fisherman is a strange creature, and not like other men.

he said he didnt carif he caught fish he was just glad to get out... I could tell he didn't like i was catching fish and he wasnt but refused to take my help! I'm not sure why I wasn't pushing just trying to offer some advice! so if anyone out there can give me an opinion on what went wrong it would be appreciated!

Seems more like he was impaitent and he did care about catching fish... Seems more like he just wanted to catch fish then anything else.. just a typical stuborn man refusing to ask for directions or help and didn't want to tell you that he really wanted fish.. :rolleyes: Am I stuborn.. at times.. but would never react like he did :lol:

I am one that loves to fish and really doen't care if I don't catch anything.. this past saturday.. 11 Hours.. Rice Lake, Trent Severn Lock 6, and Murray Canal... Not even a bite!

But i enjoyed every minute of it! Would of been nice to catch some fish.. But its the time spent in nature that I love the most.. and yesterday.. 6 Hours at Murray Canal.. couple little bites.. but that was it.. skunked again.. Doesn't get me upset, or irriated or anything.. And other were around catching fish.. Most using bottom feeder rigs with worms to catch pike... But i just prefer to use what I got.. and most what has worked in the past.. Some days are good, some bad..

But like most people know.. A bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work :D