Pike fishing ?

splashhopper

The few pike I have caught so far have all been without a wire leader... just a barrel swivel and red devils or yellow five of diamonds

PikeFishing2009-1.jpg

and

PikeFishing2009-2.jpg

when i put a wire leader on, no action for me... <_<

I know they have sharp teeth, i got knicked on the thumb with the first one I caught and that brought back memories of getting bit real bad by one in Saskatchewan when i picked one of my uncles up off a dock that I "thought" was dead :o

So, my question is:

Are there leaders that are not wire, but are just as "tooth proof" ? :)

Thanks

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

Yes for pike I was going to suggest 30lb.

and do I attach a swivel at both ends of the flourocarbon ? ( one double barrel and one with a snap-clip)..

i am not the greatest at tieng knots just yet. I almost always use the "trilene" knot .

thanks again

splashhopper

I use 50 lb and still get bit off once in a while. I usually tie on a long leader and check it after every fish. If it is in rough shape after landing a gator or muskie, i'll cut off the damaged section and re-tie on the bait. If I was trolling or fishing for only big muskie, i'll go to 80-100 lb test flourocarbon. If you keep fishing without a leader, I guarantee you'll lose lures and fish.

I'm just going to echo the thoughts here. I use 20lb Seagar real leader material. Seems to hold up pretty good around here. Now, after you catch one. check it for any abrasions. If you feel any knicks, either cut back to that point or replace it altogether. Last time I caught a couple pike I didn't re-tie and threw my chug bug a ways with no line following. I got it back with a buzz bait (got lucky-first cast). If it hadn't been a floating lure I would have donated another one. :wallbash:

Edited by kennyman

Would it be better or worse to attach the floro leader with back to back uni knots to the mainline and maybe a rapala loop? You can always put a snap swivel directly on the lure for line twist...

I have looked at CTC for some wire leader material but no luck.

I use wire leaders when fishing for pike and haven't lost a fish or a lure from a break off in a long time. I will use a fluorocarbon leader in stained water when fishing for walleye if there are pike in the area. I'm sure it cuts down on the action a bit.

I was fishing with a buddy on Edgar Lake near Kesagami last year and he had a pike bite through an 80 pound fluorocarbon leader in a split-second right next to the boat...all I heard was the splash and a loud ting. My buddy saw the fish and still feels the pain when reminded of it. Based on that, I will always use wire when fishing big pike waters.

Would it be better or worse to attach the floro leader with back to back uni knots to the mainline and maybe a rapala loop? You can always put a snap swivel directly on the lure for line twist...

I have looked at CTC for some wire leader material but no luck.

I cannot offer any input on how your idea would work but try Gagnon's or Tightlines (in Pickering) for the leader material, they might be able to help you out.

Edited by bly

As you have seen, Pike have no molars, (grinding teeth) just needle like ones. They break line by pinging it across the sharp points of these teeth. Bite-offs tend to happen to live bait fishermen using small hooks or jigs on light line with minnows, worms or leaches. The hook and bait are in the Pike's mouth and the line is sawing back and forth across the tooth points.

If you use spinnerbaits or spoons the teeth are generally a long way from the line. With crank, jerk or swim baits, heavy fluorocarbon makes a nice leader, but in a pinch I have used a foot of 60 or 80 pound Braid as a leader on spinning or spincasting gear, where there was the chance of an incidental Musky or Pike.

I've been bit off like everybody else, Big Jim put a seminar on a couple of years ago & said he was using 130lb Flouro leaders pre made so I bought some 130 & 80lb leaders and have had good luck with them but this year I set the hook & brought in 1/2 the leader 80lb flouro bit off, only used 130lb once and unless I'm fishing big fish water I'll likely stay with 80lb flouro and some wire leaders, can't think of the name right now

Richard :Gonefishing:

Not sure if you prob with wire leaders is spooking the fish or impeding the action of the lure but looking at your photo , but I see starting at the lure a split ring, a barrel swivel, a snap and another barrel swivel. The terminal tackle connecting the line to the lure is almost the length of the red and white. Why don't you try a simple wire leader , barrel swivel about a foot of wire and a duo-lock snap on the other end , tied to your line, I assume the red and white came with the split ring and chrome barrel swivel, remove the chrome barrel so it has just the split ring and hook the snap of the wire leader to the split ring. I think that would be less impeding to the action and visible to the fish than what you have now, running without a leader.

sooo.. after a frustrating day on the Thames river North east of London, I stop in at Canadian Tire for some flourocarbon....

the only package that actually said "flourocarbon" was only 10lb test....

I am gonna go to my local specialty tackle shop tomorrow and get the 20-30 from him.

then watch the knot tieing videos' and tie just my snap swivel only to the red devil in the picture I posted

and maybe,,, just maybe,,,, go down to St Thomas and try for some pike there. after work...

stay tuned B)

sooo.. after a frustrating day on the Thames river North east of London, I stop in at Canadian Tire for some flourocarbon....

the only package that actually said "flourocarbon" was only 10lb test....

I am gonna go to my local specialty tackle shop tomorrow and get the 20-30 from him.

then watch the knot tieing videos' and tie just my snap swivel only to the red devil in the picture I posted

and maybe,,, just maybe,,,, go down to St Thomas and try for some pike there. after work...

stay tuned B)

Woodstock's not far for you. Get up there and talk to Jos. Somebody there will set you on the right course. It's really great having a serious fishing store to ask your questions. I don't have to go to Woodstock cuz one of his proteges is right here in Stratford and the prices are always better than CTC for those things they both carry.

As much as I depend on CTC for a lot of stuff, fishing gear is no longer part of that.

JF

Woodstock's not far for you. Get up there and talk to Jos. Somebody there will set you on the right course. It's really great having a serious fishing store to ask your questions. I don't have to go to Woodstock cuz one of his proteges is right here in Stratford and the prices are always better than CTC for those things they both carry.

As much as I depend on CTC for a lot of stuff, fishing gear is no longer part of that.

JF

While talking to Jos ask him for a few spots to fish on the way home

Richard

I never thought of that guy...

I usually go to Kazeem at Angling Sport on Adelaide St south( at Commisioners) in London.

http://www.anglingsport.com/welcome.html

Kazeem has been very good to me and my friends with his knowledge and support.

I think that's the guy Ian James told me about. I'd forgotten about him.

JF

80lb flouro or mono is what I would use.. if I was concerned about leader visibility. Pike never seem to mind a piece of steel hangin' off my bait though.

Must be me then Rich :wallbash: lol

maybe I can come fish with you down near Walsingham some Saturday ?

shw me how its really done :Gonefishing: