2 hours to find 'em, 20 minutes to limit out when we did.

limeyangler

Hi all,

went back to a a lake i'd only fished once before...and that was icefishing, but we did pretty good so had high expectations for it.

Took a good hour to get in there with the ATV, trail in was in pretty rough shape. We headed to the creek mouth we'd fished in April on the ice....no joy except a couple small pike.

We then tried to find some sheltered shoreline as the good ole weather network was ....as usual....way off the mark with its forecast and there was a really strong northwest causing whitecaps....

........anyway after struggling to get good boat control with no fish to show for our efforts we headed to a spot we had fished through the ice in February, and after a 2 hour search for walleye we limited out in 20- 30 minutes, with a good number of oversize fish going back, a couple of small whitefish (i'll be back to target those for sure) and a boat load of slimey pike.

All taken on jigs with minnows, colour did not seem important as we all caught around the same amount with different colours. Minnows were main bait, i had a few nightcrawlers and they worked just as well, just hooked on the jig. 12' 14' FOW was where all the fiash were, including the whities.

Here's a video of us when we found the fishies, and a few random pics of the afternoon.

WAS WORTH THE WAIT

LOTS OF MINNOW THIEVING PERCH TOO

IMG_3880.jpg

LOONS WERE NOT SHY AT ALL

IMG_3878.jpg

LEW'S DAUGHTER INSISTED WE KISS ALL THE FISH BEFORE PUTTING THEM BACK, NO TONGUES THOUGH PLEASE...EWWWWW!

IMG_3882.jpg

ALWAYS LOTS OF PIKE IT SEEMS

IMG_3885.jpg

THIS WAS SITTING IN THE MUD AT THE LANDING, KINDA COOL

IMG_3887.jpg

THE STRAINED LOOK ON MY FACE IS CAUSE I HAVE AN ELBOW INJURY AND THE STRINGER WAS HEAVY!

IMG_3888.jpg

Beauty report Simon, thanks for that.

You're getting out a fair bit and use lots of minnows. I was wondering if you're buying your minnows in town or something or are you harvesting your own?

Thanks again for sharing your day.

Oooohh...my elbow was sore and I couldn't lift our many many walleye...boohooo :lol: Another beauty report, man! I think that I can get the wife to agree to the 18 hour drive to your place if I don't catch a walleye by September!

thanks for the pics Simon, made me jealous, i'm sitting here in southern ontario and my boat is on the lift on gullrock, what's wrong with that picture.

I went outside yesterday, the sun was shining and no wind, I though boy i bet the walleyes are biting like a bugger, I guess you proved they were.

Beauty report Simon, thanks for that.

You're getting out a fair bit and use lots of minnows. I was wondering if you're buying your minnows in town or something or are you harvesting your own?

Thanks again for sharing your day.

Yup, certainly am getting through my cash for bait, we are busy scoping possible minnow ponds at the moment, first traps should be in this week.

It's always about finding them isn't it? They're usually easy fish to catch..

Speaking of minnows have you tried the Gulp Alive yet head to head with the real deal?

I did a little experiment with a buddy last year, he was using Gulp leeches from the tub a i had live leeches....i out fished him 5 - 1.

Last year the now never to return PWT Can- Am tournament on my home lake wabigoon was artificial bait only (Canada won!) and the guyswere bringing impressive 8 -10lb walleye to the weigh ins every day, not sure if that was on gulp type baits or trolling crankbaits though, lol...they tend not to say where and with what they caught their fish.

A lake i went to weeks ago fishes best with twisty tail grubs, whereas when i tried those at the lake in this report not a sniff. I guess they work, but for me its a confience thing, if i'm already shelling out $50 in gas for boat and truck to get into some remotish lakes, i'd rather put in an extra $10 with my fishing partner for 4 dozen minnows. I might revise that as my funds start to dwindle though....lol.

as always great report sure does make me want to move to the north again but then again we dont have the black flies here.

Actually yesterday was the first time i have been bit all year, its been soooooo cold here up till this week, but i'm sunburnt now....YEAH....SUMMER....AT LAST!

nice pics Simon... still wondering why I live down here anymore <_<

Hey Splashhopper, its a good job you live down there...lol....my wife'es folks are in Dorchester, w'ell be down in October so you can put me onto some good spots when we're down....sound good?

Great stuff Simon, leave some for me - I don't get back to NW ont til August!

Gissa shout when you're back TBAY.

Oooohh...my elbow was sore and I couldn't lift our many many walleye...boohooo :lol: Another beauty report, man! I think that I can get the wife to agree to the 18 hour drive to your place if I don't catch a walleye by September!

You mock my pain.....lol.....its a tough life for me here...you could try and be a bit more understanding :P Would love to see ya up here JB....LJ could team up with my missus and give us a lesson in fishing. If ya come in september w'e hit Lac Seul for some Fall fishing....some real hawgs to be had.

thanks for the pics Simon, made me jealous, i'm sitting here in southern ontario and my boat is on the lift on gullrock, what's wrong with that picture.

I went outside yesterday, the sun was shining and no wind, I though boy i bet the walleyes are biting like a bugger, I guess you proved they were.

Yup Grt1, i wold be going crazy if that was me....you are a lucky so and so to be on Gullrock....my time up there last August is still the best walleye fishing i've experienced so far .

Looks like another great adventure in Ontario's northwest. Yes I am a lttle green, :whistling: but not too much.

Walleye are not as plentiful down here, but there is still a decent fishery here in Niagara. It's the crowds on the water down here that are a killer. :wallbash: