Scugog Report

Was out at Scugog this afternoon and has a resonable successful day. Fished the morning for perch and caught 2 little guys + a decent size Crappie(first of 09).

Had a slice of pizza and came across a Carp fisherman and he offered me a small jar of corn for the carp. So I walked down a nice stretch of shoreline and threw some corn out in the water away from all the other carp they seemed to of been spawning. Where I was all I saw were carp cruising by. Anyway, threw out some corn not more that 10m out and a decent pile maybe 3m out from the shore. Put some corn on my circle hook and threw it into this general area where i had the corn thrown out to. Waited not more than 5 minutes and I began to see bubbles and dirt being kicked up...got excited and bam got a clear strike on my rod, set the hook and the fight was on. The carp scared me a bit as it was heading to the right and down the bank where I had no control over it, but it came back as i kept steady tenshion. After no more than 4 minutes it came to shore. Thinking it was tired out i bended down to grab it and it turned, not once but twice and after a viewer was behind me it snapped my line :( . Was sad to se but it was a good size Carp, maybe a few inches smaller that my carp the previous weekend but i felt successful.

Long story short, ill be there in a week or two to try again for some carp and ill be bringing more corn! Also is a circle hook good enough or is a three prong needed. From what I could see this Carp had the hook right in the upper lip of it's mouth so the hook i was using worked fine..think it was a 2/0 by Mustad.

Thanks for reading,

MTBF

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

I'm by no means a carp expert but you should do a google search for how to tie a hair rig for carp fishing with corn. Single hooks all the way, if you use a treble you will probably snag the bottom more. Congrats on the decent crappie, there are some bigguns in there. My largest from Scugog is 13" but I'm sure there are some in the 15-16" range.