Breakthrough!!!

JohnF

I invited my wife to accompany me this afternoon when I went to a private little fishing hole for a few hours. An acquaintance owns the property and has cleared a party spot back in the bush along the river. It's a part of the river seldom fished as you'd have to get to it across his land or thru thick buggy bush. So anyway I thought she might like sitting and reading while I waded.

Well, she really liked it. But most surprising, she got interested in my fishing. I was standing in the river right out in front of where she was sitting so she couldn't miss me hauling in fish after fish. I had been told there were specks in there but all I could raise were rock bass, big ones. But then the durned smallmouths started biting and I couldn't get away from them.It got to the point that my lure barely hit the water and I'd have a little bitty bass on. Young smallmouths have gorgeous colours btw.

I finally figgered the bass weren't gonna leave me alone so I called it a day. I was worried that the small trout sized spinner was gonna get swallowed soon. One really big rockbass took it very deep. At that point I crushed all the barbs which made it a lot easier on the little smallies. Some of them were too small to swallow even these hooks but their little mouths are really soft at that age and I was afraid of damaging them.

I hated to quit but a deal's a deal. Bass opens next week, not this one.

Anyway, I got out of the water and my wife kinda casually asked "Do you need me there to get a licence?".

Befuzzled I asked "Why do you want a licence?"

"You looked like you were having fun." said she.

"I was."

So who knows where this is going, but first thing next week I'm getting her a card. Of course I may live to regret this too. :P

But hey, it's a great excuse to buy more UL gear.

JF

I don't care how interesting a story is... if there isn't any pitchers, I just don't believe it!

Fish after fish :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

.. yeah, right! :rolleyes:

They were little - who needs pics of baby bass?

JF

... we do!!!... if they were big enough to mention... they're big enough to pic!!!

... don't you know nothin'?

I'd git my ass bit by the brethren here if'n I took pctures of the poor li'l oos fishies.

JF

John,

You could pm em' to me if you like. I don't get my knickers in a knot over these things! LOL

Sounds like you might be onto something with the Mrs. Hey, she can take it slow at her own pace and who knows where it can go?

My wife likes to fish and tries to get out when she can. She just isn't a fanatic like me!

Treat her nice and don't let her get bored.

Then in a couple of weeks bring her up for a boat ride...

You can see where this is going...GRIN.

Her first thought in yer boat would be to find a slalom ski.

JF

Sounds promising John,,,,

now maybe, just maybe,,,, if you pop in to Rheo Thompson's and grab some Mint Smoothies and put her licence in the box, she will really know what's up :o

Wtg bro

Splashhopper...

(Northwestern Grad)

She says Mint Smoothies are evil. I have to eat 'em all when they come into the house.

JF

Sounds like a wonderful day and I hope that you and the Mrs. have as much fun fishing together as Cliff and I :)

I may never post again if she ever holds up a big ole slimey carp. My heart may give out from the shock. Given that she refuses to take little mouse floaters out of our pool skimmer I doubt she'll be much good with squirming fishies. Methinks she's gonna be a rock bass kinda gal at best, but who knows.

JF

I'd git my ass bit by the brethren here if'n I took pctures of the poor li'l oos fishies.

JF

Uhhhhh.. aren't you actually supposed to stop fishing and move to another spot instead of pulling in fish after fish? :whistling:

Not that I give a rat's patootie how many OOS smallies you catch, but like you said... there are some folks on here... ;)

limeyangler Posted Today, 02:16 AM

Sounds very promising John, my wife took to bass and pike fishing......especially with the topwaters, she hates fishing for walleye though...too slow and boring she says...even when she's pulling in fish after fish (dont start Dawg)

Yeah, we wanna see those pics too Simon!!! :lol:

Uhhhhh.. aren't you actually supposed to stop fishing and move to another spot instead of pulling in fish after fish? :whistling:

I was moving around. But each new spot I came to was better than the last. The reason I finally quit was that I waded through some rapids upriver to another pool and before I even got to it I tried casting into the shallow fast water and was getting nailed as it hit the water. That was my signal to give it up. Now I'll resist the temptation for another week. But I gotta admit it was fun for a while. :blush:

JF

I may never post again if she ever holds up a big ole slimey carp. My heart may give out from the shock. Given that she refuses to take little mouse floaters out of our pool skimmer I doubt she'll be much good with squirming fishies. Methinks she's gonna be a rock bass kinda gal at best, but who knows.

JF

My wife likes to go fishing when it's sunny and warm and no bugs are biting.

She still won't bait a hook or take a fish off, but she does have a pair of pink gloves to occasionaly hold a fish for pics. It's still fun to share the time together. Especially the look of fear when she catches a pike. :lol:

She says Mint Smoothies are evil. I have to eat 'em all when they come into the house.

JF

Those Chocolate Mint Smoothies ARE Evil :P

You get her the license and the "evil smoothies".... and she will be like puddy in your paws when you order the new boat ! :D

Those Chocolate Mint Smoothies ARE Evil :P

You get her the license and the "evil smoothies".... and she will be like puddy in your paws when you order the new boat ! :D

I'm thinking I'll crawl afore I run. That means I suspect it would be easier to talk her into a pair of fishing yaks before a real boat. And I don't mind the idea at all. We've done a bit of sea kayaking in Florida and Hilton Head and she really likes it. Of course she thinks dragon boat racing is fun. And she thinks green veggies are better than burgers and beer. Bleah!

I've been debating about getting a kayak for myself for fishing and if she gets the bug, even a little bit, then the yak sale will be pretty easy. And we've got an experienced kayaker (ist?) in our midst, my fishing buddy Rob, the artist. He's been pestering me to get one for a while now. I think if I suggest a summer of weekends spent exploring the Grand by kayak she'll be in favour. And then there are lots of other rivers to check out. Rob says the Thames is great for yak fishing.

I'm getting excited about this now. Rob says he's really impressed with the hull profile on that green fishing kayak at CTC, and it's only $500. I figure I can't go wrong. If it doesn't pan out I can get most of my money back from them but I think if we start exploring Wendy will get right into it. I'm thinking I can hook a line from her yak to mine and let her propel us down the Grand or wherever while I check the waters for fishies. And if I really have to paddle then there's a nifty pole holder thingy comes with the kayak.

We'll see what the next few weeks bring.

JF

I'm thinking I'll crawl afore I run. That means I suspect it would be easier to talk her into a pair of fishing yaks before a real boat. And I don't mind the idea at all. We've done a bit of sea kayaking in Florida and Hilton Head and she really likes it. Of course she thinks dragon boat racing is fun. And she thinks green veggies are better than burgers and beer. Bleah!

I've been debating about getting a kayak for myself for fishing and if she gets the bug, even a little bit, then the yak sale will be pretty easy. And we've got an experienced kayaker (ist?) in our midst, my fishing buddy Rob, the artist. He's been pestering me to get one for a while now. I think if I suggest a summer of weekends spent exploring the Grand by kayak she'll be in favour. And then there are lots of other rivers to check out. Rob says the Thames is great for yak fishing.

I'm getting excited about this now. Rob says he's really impressed with the hull profile on that green fishing kayak at CTC, and it's only $500. I figure I can't go wrong. If it doesn't pan out I can get most of my money back from them but I think if we start exploring Wendy will get right into it. I'm thinking I can hook a line from her yak to mine and let her propel us down the Grand or wherever while I check the waters for fishies. And if I really have to paddle then there's a nifty pole holder thingy comes with the kayak.

We'll see what the next few weeks bring.

JF

If I can be so bold as to suggest talking to Nomad on this site about Yak fishing... he took me out last summer and suggested he could set me up with a "sit on top" yak for around $400.00....

he knows the rivers and he is very helpful with newbies like me in them.

A second opinion is always worth it....

Maybe even take a trip down the Maitland or Grand River with him for some fun fishing.

splashhopper

Why not a canoe instead of two kayaks? A little more versatile for fishing and you can put her at the back to do all the work while you whip the water. :P

My regular fishing buddy is a kayaker and has been nagging me to get one for a while. He has a canoe and refuses to use it for fishing. He figures our odds are better if we spread out on the water instead of doubling up in one small area all the time. We're often a few hundred feet apart when we're wading.

Besides, my wife seems to like kayaks and if that'll add to her interest then it's good by me.

JF