NHL...Sad truth NF

Garry2Rs

I just went to a site called Cooliris to check what time the final game is tonight.

Cooliris is a big picture driven search engine that links to all kinds of news, sports and entertainment stories with text and video clips etc.

There were dozens of baseball links, dozens of hoops links..links about NFL (which is out of season ) and Nascar, plus Euro-league soccer, tennis, ladies golf and much more...oh yeah, there was one small link to a story out of the NY Times about how Detroit needs a win in Hockey tonight because of all the crap that has fallen on them with the economic down turn in the USA. The article soon switched to talking about Tiger Stadium being torn down...

If this is the coverage that the NHL's biggest night, a game seven in the Stanley Cup Final warrants in the USA then Gary Beckman should shut-up and sit down and let's bring the teams back to Canada because obviously the Yankees don't get it and don't care!

garry2rs is RIGHT.........While painting today I listen to Colin Cowher and NHL was hardly mentioned, just like any other day........

The NHL is in trouble and only admitting to it and then reinventing itself will rescue it............

I know one thing, if you can't form ice outside you shouldn't have a NHL team in your town.....

Bob

Gary Beckman should shut-up and sit down and let's bring the teams back to Canada because obviously the Yankees don't get it and don't care!

**Gary Bettman**

Sucks there lacking coverage down there, glad to be able to see the game here where there isn't even a Canadian Team playing lol.

Should be a amazing game tonight!

It would be interesting to know what the American to Canadian ratio in attendance to the game tonight .. I was camping last weekend not to far from Windsor and couldn't get the game on the radio .. could of listened to Nascar and a couple baseball games though .. well the games on ...GO PENS GO

I love hockey, but like it or not In a North American context Hockey is a regional sport...its not international

Canada yes...you'll get sea to sea coverage, and can promote hockey in just about any city.

Its a national Past time "here"

Where the US and Mexico have markets that are just not interested, and its not a plausable event to cover with any hope of a return.

IMO There are too many teams as is....We're just diluting the talent pool at this point.

I'd be happy to see to 10 teams fold.

Then we'd have some good hockey again.

Bettmans a dreamer...he keeps thinking he can change the game, and make it a international North American game that is loved through out America

but in the proccess hasn't realized how many of his "changes" are simply putting the main stream fans off of the game.

I don't think he realizes the product is becoming worse.

He's over grown the markets, and there are too many teams, who in order to fill the roster have to draft sub-par players...

Put in simple terms,

He's ruining the Game.

There is only one country in the world that puts hockey number one... Hockey is not even close to number one in Sweden, Czech Rep., or Russia.. soccer is, and various other sports still draw far more interest...

It hasn't really grown anywhere around the world outside of Canada... even though it is a great sport...

It doesn't really change the way I look at the game... who ultimately cares?

Its a national Past time "here"

Well I disagree with this. Sitting around the lunch room at work (steel company) or anywhere else I'm in the company of others, those who have zero interest in hockey out number those who do.

Those who like it are typically very passionate about it but "national past time" would that not suggest that vast majority of Canada is watching?

When you think Canada you think Hockey.............or at least that was the way years ago. Canada has taken in a LOT of immigrants that are not interested in Hockey or Curling (LOL) because many "new" Canadians came from where ice never formed. That's life in the big city.......

GO RED SOX

Hockey is a victim of it's own popularity in Canada and a few parts of the States. Like so many good things it's been exploited to death for profit.

Now the problem is that it has an expensive infrastructure and a luke warm market generally. The few market areas that can support teams can't carry the load for all the non-viable franchises too. They've got a load of debt, a bunch of high paid athletes and some very expensive facilities to justify and there's probably no way of ever going back. Hockey's just a business now, and a poorly structured one at that. Bettman and company have got an impossible job that they created for themselves.

JF

Well I disagree with this

Well I'd disagree with this :P

We must hang in different Circles LOL!

I would absolutely say its our national game.

Lets not forget the massive junior followings as well as the pro's.

Heck throw in junior/senior and olympic international play....its no contest.

You don't get crowds out to local junior foot ball or baseball games like the OHL draws by a long shot.

Average Attendance for the Kitchener rangers is 5000 seats full....thats one team once a week, and its junior hockey, not pro.

There are litterally 1000's in attendance for junior games on an average night all across Canada for Junior A hockey, and often 100's will show up for junior B hockey.

We have had hockey night in Canada coverage for ever, and every one know Don cherry and ron Mclean right...house hold names who don't even play LOL!

Seems like a national past time to me :whistling:

Sure there are other junior football, soccer, and baseball teams that have followings but truthfully...outside of the GTA those other junior sports teams pail in comaprison to the following of the local hockey teams.

Edited by Cookslav

Well I'd disagree with this :P

We must hang in different Circles LOL!

I would absolutely say its our national game.

Lets not forget the massive junior followings as well as the pro's.

Heck throw in junior/senior and olympic international play....its no contest.

You don't get crowds out to local junior foot ball or baseball games like the OHL draws by a long shot.

Average Attendance for the Kitchener rangers is 5000 seats full....thats one team once a week, and its junior hockey, not pro.

There are litterally 1000's in attendance for junior games on an average night all across Canada for Junior A hockey, and often 100's will show up for junior B hockey.

We have had hockey night in Canada coverage for ever, and every one know Don cherry and ron Mclean right...house hold names who don't even play LOL!

Seems like a national past time to me :whistling:

Sure there are other junior football, soccer, and baseball teams that have followings but truthfully...outside of the GTA those other junior sports teams pail in comaprison to the following of the local hockey teams.

Agreed, Hockey is everything out here in every City, Town, Village and Hamlet. Whats soccer anyways. Oh and Saskatchewan Loves their Football. Best Football Fans in all Canada, but still Hockey Rules here.

I have to agree that us NHL fanatics, we just think that everyone else is a fanatic lol......but like someone said, when i reallly sit around and look at say.......the group of guys at work,..... its really only a couple guys that literally cant wait to get home and watch the game or are online looking at the stats from the game the night before. I never really thought of it, but that is kinda true.......we all just think becuase we love it and couldnt do without it, that everyone feels the same. Unless of course your team is going to the finals, then of course the whole city is buzzin , but otherwise.......it isnt as popular as I think it is I guess lol. Which for the life of me i cANNOT understand.

My uncle turned on the NBA finals game last night when i was over, ive never watched a more bland display of competition.............it was just so lacking of anything that a stanley cup final round brings. I was literally watching this basketball game in awe of how anyone can pay for a ticket for this. Ive tried this with baseball in the past as welll and i just cant grasp it.

I have to agree that us NHL fanatics, we just think that everyone else is a fanatic lol......but like someone said, when i reallly sit around and look at say.......the group of guys at work,..... its really only a couple guys that literally cant wait to get home and watch the game or are online looking at the stats from the game the night before. I never really thought of it, but that is kinda true.......we all just think becuase we love it and couldnt do without it, that everyone feels the same. Unless of course your team is going to the finals, then of course the whole city is buzzin , but otherwise.......it isnt as popular as I think it is I guess lol. Which for the life of me i cANNOT understand.

My uncle turned on the NBA finals game last night when i was over, ive never watched a more bland display of competition.............it was just so lacking of anything that a stanley cup final round brings. I was literally watching this basketball game in awe of how anyone can pay for a ticket for this. Ive tried this with baseball in the past as welll and i just cant grasp it.

OK so you got those two Fanatical Guys in the Lunchroom (Canada) that think nothing but Hockey. Only Two, WHAT? So you think the rest are talking about the NBA, Football, NasCar, Soccer. Na, they're probably just complaining about work. How about if you just compare sports fans only instead of commoners. Lots of Buz during Olympic Hockey, JR International, and Say Stanley Cup if there is a Canadian Team or underdog Team playing.

Edited by holdfast

NFL football, baby!!!

Hockey's good, NHL is good. Speed, variety, finesse. A good game to watch with a few friends and a few beers. I tend to watch international hockey when I can - junior championships, world cup. Leafs in the playoffs? Not much going on there lately. I'd like to see NHL teams reduced to a more solid core, and I've never really warmed up to the idea of European players. I guess to me hockey is more of a cultural thing. Of course I grew up with hockey when it was the only thing we got on a Saturday night --- we only got one black-and-white channel in Sudbury back then, and there were only six teams.

Soccer - a game with too little scoring, and kind of bland.

Baseball - fun to watch the Jays at times, but generally a slow game.

Basketball - too much scoring.

Any sport can be more interesting if you get into the strategy I guess. And being there in the stadium is always different from watching on TV.

All round, for me, NFL football is the best package. Added to that is the fact that I'm in a Fantasy Football league with my son and a group of friends. That makes for extra excitement. Of course NFL is all American, but Americans are almost like honorary Canadians, right? :P (I can see guys jumping all over this!) :D

heath_miller.JPG