Single Hook..What about Trebles?

mpagnan

Im looking at the Credit River Anglers Association page and they are saying "Artificial lures with a single pointed barbless hook must be used. No live or organic bait allowed " near the bottom.

http://www.craa.on.ca/new_regulations.shtml

Possibly, they put up the signs and are being over-zealous in their interpretation of a single hook

EDIT: in another area it is simply single barbless hook, could there be two special regs for different areas?

Note that on that particular page, the regulations are dated 2004-5. Ontario MNR regulations have been updated since then.

Apologies sent to Musky and Specks, but I still feel the way it's written in the exceptions to Zone 16 at that river, leaves a bit open to interpretation.

Only if you dont read the definition of a hook on page 8 of the regs. I have discussed this many times with the policy makers at MNR but they feel that the way it is stated is plain enough. Also with all the new soft baits out there artificial is really being left up to intepretation by the CO's. Those artificial steelhead worms are pretty deadly and can be swallowed just as readily by a trout causing death. Yet they would still be usable under the reg artificial bait only.

Edited by Musky or Specks

• 1 month later...

Have to make a new comment on this. While I was reading what the rest of you had to say on this I decided to call the Ministry and they said that a treble = single hook. It also happens that I also asked the same question to the Ministry via web and I received my reply yesterday. The reply stated that the treble must go! What the hell are these guys doing? So which one of the answers is correct?

Pags, I honestly think the problem is that most of the MNR types are aware of the "treble on an artificial" counts as "one" hook, however, there may be some that are totally unaware of the special exceptions as the one in zone 16 at Whitmans creek where it actually says "one barbless hook on lures", should indicate, no trebles allowed. Anyway, I'm not going fishing there to find out. :Gonefishing: