Single Hook..What about Trebles?

mpagnan

Hello,

I'm heading to Brantford this weekend and was going to scout and fish Whiteman's Creek. I have a question about my spinners. Do I have to replace the trebles to a single? And if so, how do I do it without snipping the treble off?

Thanks

Three hooks in a gang(treble) are considered one hook just pinch the barbs. Its right in the regs read them.

Well then you had better sign up for comprehension classes, he read it, I read it and it says artificial lures, only ONE SINGLE BARBLESS HOOK. It's in the exceptions section <_<

And if so, how do I do it without snipping the treble off?

If your spinners have a hook attachment ring, then you can remove the treble and attach one single hook to the ring. However, I found it not quite worth the trouble since hooks usually don't have the eye large enough to allow free movement once attached to the ring, so the hook is somewhat semi-rigid. So many fish hitting the lure I lost -not even hooked- because of the hook not being where it should have been...

Most of the spinners -PantherMartins particularly- don't even have an attachment ring so after a "trial and error process", including attaching a ring, in the end I applied a more radical solution to it: snipped off the treble and attached a single hook by running a small jig loop of 12lb mono through the eye of the spinner and the eye of the hook. ( jig knot -> http://www.eangler.com/static/eangler/knots/jigloop.htm ). I thought 12Lb would be strong enough to resist when the lure gets tangled on a branch, a rock or some weeds.

It works pretty well, so now I have a whole "Upper Credit" set of spinners.

Edited by Danubian

it's an exception boys. some areas (ie. upper credit river) explicitly state single (one point), non-barbed hook only. no trebles (three points).

personally i don't think it's such a bad thing, we've gone to single siwash hooks on all our spring trout lures (body baits, spoons & spinners). the baits run better in my opinion and it makes release that much easier. trout and trebles are like velcro i've found.

to the original poster, unless the treble is on a split ring, you can't remove it without cutting the treble. what dave524 said about the single siwash' is correct, they are still around. they come with the eye open so you can put it on your lure and squash it. don't forget to file down the barb.

Edited by Raf

it's an exception boys. some areas (ie. upper credit river) explicitly state single (one point), non-barbed hook only. no trebles (three points).

personally i don't think it's such a bad thing, we've gone to single siwash hooks on all our spring trout lures (body baits, spoons & spinners). makes release that much easier. trout and trebles are like velcro i've found.

Im familiar with the regs on the credit/whitemans/grand. Its single barbless. A treble is considered a single hook ask your CO.

re-read those regs musky or specks, specifically around the forks of the credit area of the credit. single point, non-organic, etc. etc.

....or you can always take your chances & find out the hard way ;)

Edited by Raf

Guest gbfisher

If it says "single point" it's just that. As Raf said.

If it says Single hook, then you can use a trebble.

I did find out the hard way one year out on Georgian Bay ice fishing. The year they put the new reg out! Was using a Pimple with a trebble trailer hook. Counts as 6 hooks when you add bait............ :huh:

Well then you had better sign up for comprehension classes, he read it, I read it and it says artificial lures, only ONE SINGLE BARBLESS HOOK. It's in the exceptions section <_<

Hook – A hook includes a single-pointed or multiple-pointed hook on

a common shaft but does not include a snagger or spring gaff. The

number of hooks includes any single-pointed or multiple-pointed

hooks that are part of a lure.

Uh, a SINGLE BARBLESS HOOK is a barbless treble.

Since nobody's bothered to actually put the exceptions up:

Whitemans Creek (Horner Creek)

- Brantford Twp., between Robinson

Road and Cleaver Sideroad.

Only artificial lures (no organic bait)

may be used.

Only one barbless hook may be used.

Brown trout or rainbow trout S - 1 and

C - 1, must be greater than 50 cm

(19.7 in.).

Looks like barbless trebles are okay.

It is the same for the Upper Credit:

Only artificial lures may be used.

Only one barbless hook may be used.

Brook trout S - 0 and C - 0.

Brown trout S - 0 and C - 0.

Rainbow trout S - 0 and C - 0.

Definition of hook:

Hook – A hook includes a single-pointed or multiple-pointed hook on

a common shaft but does not include a snagger or spring gaff. The

number of hooks includes any single-pointed or multiple-pointed

hooks that are part of a lure.

Reference: MNR - License Information and Fishing Regulations

Edited by bigreddog

Yeah...but if you are in those special sections on the credit, I'm pretty sure the signs make it clear that a barbless treble is no good. This could be the motivation I need to go up there tonight before the game starts :) If I go up, I'll snap a couple pics of the sign.

Yeah...but if you are in those special sections on the credit, I'm pretty sure the signs make it clear that a barbless treble is no good. This could be the motivation I need to go up there tonight before the game starts :) If I go up, I'll snap a couple pics of the sign.

Pssssst, he wasn't talking about the Credit was he?

And those sections are non-treble because they are private, with access negotiated by Trout Unlimited. Access is only granted if you follow their rules, not because of provincial regulations.

Im looking at the Credit River Anglers Association page and they are saying "Artificial lures with a single pointed barbless hook must be used. No live or organic bait allowed " near the bottom.

http://www.craa.on.ca/new_regulations.shtml

Possibly, they put up the signs and are being over-zealous in their interpretation of a single hook

EDIT: in another area it is simply single barbless hook, could there be two special regs for different areas?

Edited by dave524

Hello,

I'm heading to Brantford this weekend and was going to scout and fish Whiteman's Creek. I have a question about my spinners. Do I have to replace the trebles to a single? And if so, how do I do it without snipping the treble off?

Thanks

No.