More irate land owners.

BillM

Tell her to take a flying leap at a rolling Kielbasa on a gravel road!!! :angry:

Just another water front property owner that thinks she owns the water and the fish!!!

I'd have farted in my hand and then waved it under her nose!!!

When you packed things up and left... she won!

Classy <_<

yep i ran into this problem before on a trout creek,i myself thought they only owned the high water mark(bank)but i found out they did indeed on the bed lol(atleast where i was)

so i checked into it and i found it if its good enough to navigate a canoe its good to go

3 days later i parked my canoe right in front of there house and started fishing lol,not a word was said to me..

good luck

Hawg Hunter

So you found out she owned the whole show an squeezed a canoe up there to rub her face in it ?

HAHA look I am deep into your Prop and you cant do anything <_<

Yeah that is hardcore nice work. As far as the old lady ok she owns the river bed, but that still doesn't mean she has to kick you out. I'am so sick of going out fishing and always feel as though I'am doing something wrong, and feel as though I have to sneak around. When's the last time that lady put on a pair of waders and walked along her precious river bed, so many of these old laws and deeds are way outdated. I live in town and have a laneway at the back of my lot that must be maintained and left accessible to allow the horse and buggy to bring coal to the houses, still haven't seen no horse and buggy what a load of horse sh%t lol. ldub

Well if you stopped trespassing you would not have to sneak around feeling like you are doing something wrong <_<

spinnerbaitking Posted Today, 02:34 PM

I have canoed lots of small rivers in my area & when looking into it I was told that land owners can't fence a navigable river or you can cut it, I never have but push come to shove how knows

I am for farm land up north I have never seen a fence across a river ,creeks and streams yes ,and I would not want to be you if you cut a farmers fence to fish his stream and released his livestock :angry:

Just making a point If you don't know find out first

No idea what your MNR is like down there, but does it sound dumb to contact the MNR first to see what they know about the stretch of water in question? Then, if you don't get a straight answer, look into it further?

No idea what your MNR is like down there, but does it sound dumb to contact the MNR first to see what they know about the stretch of water in question? Then, if you don't get a straight answer, look into it further?

The question of ownership in this specific stretch of water has already been answered in previous replies.

The question of ownership in this specific stretch of water has already been answered in previous replies.

Yeah, I didn't catch the extra pages first time around, but if the stretch of water was important to me I'd still be interested in what the MNR has to say, and maybe find out more about other stretches (if any) that are off-limits.

I know its been answered now, but I'd thought I'd pop a couple of pointers in here......

1. Its easy to ask permission......even if the land owners own the stream bed as well. Most, including these folks are not going to get irate if you knock on their door and ask about fishing in the area. It goes a long way, and in my experience it can really help in gaining access to some prime waters. This river in particular, and one that probably shouldn't be discussed like this on such a large public forum IMO is one of very few in southern Ontario that actually have streambeds associated with the deeds. Streambed ownership doesn't mean that folks won't let you fish there. Many people who own land along streams have to clean up all the trash after rather ignorant "fishers". Bill, I'm not at all saying that has anything to do with you.....just making a point there.

2. I've had to deal with a few folks claiming to own the streambed in areas I knew they didn't. The first time, I left and contacted a friend of mine, the late Grant Ferris, who said to contact the MNR. They weren't able to help at all, but instead instructed me to contact the land registry office for the area with the lot number, concession, etc......easy info to find if it means that much to you. Then, find out from the L.R. folks if infact the streambed is included in the deed for that property. If not, the next step is to contact the OPP, who deal with trespassing. Let them know the situation. When this happened to me on a particular stream I'd been fishing for over two decades, I got a copy of the deed along with a copy of the 'Heritage Hunting and Fishing Act'. I stuffed those in the back of my vest in case the individual in question tried something again. He did, I gave him the deed and the act.......hasn't bothered me since.

How about a house on or near the prop you wish to fish?

Classy <_<

So you found out she owned the whole show an squeezed a canoe up there to rub her face in it ?

HAHA look I am deep into your Prop and you cant do anything <_<

Well if you stopped trespassing you would not have to sneak around feeling like you are doing something wrong <_<

I am for farm land up north I have never seen a fence across a river ,creeks and streams yes ,and I would not want to be you if you cut a farmers fence to fish his stream and released his livestock :angry:

Just making a point If you don't know find out first

I have come across fences between Bluevale & Wingham, Wroxeter & Wingham, & Wingham & Auburn, & Teeswater & Riversdale, I have canoed with Scouts And Families over the years and a fence can be a hazard when you come around a corner or threw rapids and come across one that technically isn't supposed to be there

Richard

I wonder why she wouldn't just laminate the proof, and post it on on a pole near where people access her property. Save her the trouble of people coming onto her property, and then arguing with her that she doesn't own the riverbed. Maybe it doesn't happen often enough to worry about it.

I have come across fences between Bluevale & Wingham, Wroxeter & Wingham, & Wingham & Auburn, & Teeswater & Riversdale, I have canoed with Scouts And Families over the years and a fence can be a hazard when you come around a corner or threw rapids and come across one that technically isn't supposed to be there

Richard

Tough situation if you're a farmer with a creek that crosses though your property. Tough for the folks in canoes heading down those creeks......wonder what the solution is.

The solution is to limit access to livestock on a waterway. Fence them off except for a small enclosed area that extends into the river. Livestock access is a major contributer to erosion and pollution in our rivers. It is illegal to fence across a navigable body of water and I have cut fences down while canoeing in southern ontario. Make sur your wire cutters are insulated. Some idiot actually run electric cattle fencing acroos canoeable waterways.

Saw this in action today. While I was standing in the middle of the creek I heard some more atv's coming. They'd been rippin' 'n snortin' thru all afternoon. These two got up to the clearing and they stopped. The rest had just driven on through - some waving to us. I was a little concerned that these two had stopped behind my wife sitting on shore so I headed over that way. Turns out to be a couple on his'n hers quads and the guy explained that he'd been told it was okay to use this trail but when he saw us there he assumed it was our property and he just wanted to stop and ask if it was okay. He was very polite. Smart guy.

JF