buying an outboard without seeing it run?

ch312

im going to look at an 03 yamaha 15hp 2 stroke tonight but i will not be able to see it run. she said that her husband passed away and this motor hasnt been used in a year or more and it wasnt used very often. i can get it for a great price which could mean either she just wants to get rid of it or there is something wrong with it.

how risky is this? they are relatively simple machines, but ya never know.

what are some things i can check for? would it hurt the motor to start for a few seconds just to be sure it sounds alright?

Write her a check and then check the motor out over the weekend, if it isn't any good... see if you can beat her to the bank Monday morning. ;)

If it hasn't be running in a year it will probably be hard to get started the first time if it wasn't winterized, check the lower unit lube for signs of milky looking fluid (water and oil mixed).

Check the overall appearance of the motor first thing, if it's an 03 and wasn't used much it should look nearly new.

I've bought a few out-boards, and have been burnt more then once. And I've seen both of them running before the purchase too.

You have to be carefull testing motors in a water filled drumb. You can't really open up a 15 Hp motor in a water filled drumb. The water would be every where.

If you can't put the motor on a boat to test it, then be very thorough when checking it over.

Can you pop the carb off, and look in the cylinders for any signs of rust? Also take note of the fasteners on the motor holding on components (specificly the carb). If they look like they've been taken on and off a hundered times, you may have a lemmon on your hands, or a miss treated engine.

Good luck,

Fish

first buy this

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Au...ester%2BKit.jsp

test the compression and the overall look of the motor

if it's a real good price don't wait

buy now worry later......

oh wait that's how I ended up with my wife.....

run Forest run

That compression test device is much cheaper than having a marine mechanic do it. Ask me how I know :wallbash:

I would suggest elephant ears - or ear muffs

thats how i have bought and sold outboards in the past- just attach a hose and place them over the water intake and fire it up.....

theres no reason why you cant see it run, and it should start nooo problem - regardless of storage

i sold an old evinrude earlier this year that was still in the basement when the guy came to look at it.....fired it up in the driveway and it was sold as soon as it started

and if i were you i wouldnt let that outboard sit too long with that price......i might buy it....lol

kf

Edited by K_F

That motor is $3200.00 plus taxes new...I would not think twice about buying it if I needed it.

I'm a Yamaha guy though

I just gave one of them away with a 14' boat and trailer for 2800, a 97 to boot..not 03.

They guy didn't want to see it run before he bought it, but I put it in a garbage can and ran it anyway.

Edited by Dara

It's a small outboard and an '03, I'd agree, look at the fasteners inside the engine compartment, if they look rounded and well used, the motor was probably a lemon, if not then go for it.But don't wait too long, it will sell quick.

If you have a Princess Auto close by, you can check there as well for the compression tester.

Usually a bit cheaper than Canadian Tire. I bought mine there on sale for about $10

Not 100% sure of the compression on that Yamaha, but I have a 1978 Evinrude 35hp that runs like a top. The compression was tested at 100 & 110 psi on both respective cylynders. Marine mechanic told me anything between 100 and 120psi is OK for my engine. Hope this gives you a better idea.

My understanding is that ear muffs are ok for starting...and quick reving in neutral however putting it into drive and actually spinning the prop and opening it up to see top end is a no no. Is this a myth or truth? My understanding is that the prop as well as the impeller are lubricated via water.

My understanding is that ear muffs are ok for starting...and quick reving in neutral however putting it into drive and actually spinning the prop and opening it up to see top end is a no no. Is this a myth or truth? My understanding is that the prop as well as the impeller are lubricated via water.

Running the engine and drivetrain under no load can be nothing but bad.

I know some outboards like mine also need back pressure to run smooth..........every year I start mine up in the driveway and sputs a spudders with the ear muffs on but once in the lake it runs SMOOOOOTH as silk even with it's VRO system..... :devil:

well, it took 6 or 7 pulls to get her started on the old gas that came with it :D quite a bit of smoke at first but it sat for 1 1/2 years so i figure its normal. it kinda sputters and wants to die at idle but i figure thats likely from the gas that doesnt even smell like gas and the plugs caked in oil. gonna get some new gas and plugs before i adjust anything.

can you run seafoam through 2 strokes to clean em out?

where do ya go to register boats?

can you run seafoam through 2 strokes to clean em out?

Yes on the Seafoam but just don't over do it............ I would change to fresh gas and new plugs first... then take her out on a lake and open her up, then see what you really need to do..

Bob