quantum vs shimano reels

pike slayer

ive been using a quantum catalyst pti for a long time now, maybe 6 years caught lots of big pike with it, and it even survived me taking it apart to clean and lubricate it, best spining reel ive owned, and there have been a few others that i wore out in less than a season on those same big pike.

so i just bought a brand new shimano synocate 2500 for $9.50 on ebay. after exchange, shipping, etc. it came to 19.45 and i was looking at the www.thefishinghole.com and they had shimano sojourns for $24can and was $35 with shipping. you can get some decent gear for a cheap price! if others havent heard of the fishing hole its a big tackle shop in the edmonton square mall, they got a good selection of stuff and at good prices and also some pretty neat stuff i havent seen anywhere else. thanks for the help guys!

Steel, carp & kings.

I average around 4 fish before any Shimano reel I've bought fails in some way.

Failures include:

Drag discs practically melting and fusing together (that was after one fish).

Frame warping.

Anti-reverse stop breaking.

Some anonymous bit of plastic breaking off and jamming the gears.

That is why I use a baitcasting reel for those species :D

:jerry:

That is why I use a baitcasting reel for those species :D

:jerry:

Of the two baitcasters I've owned, the first was a Shimano and didn't survive the first hookset, frame warped. Can't recall the model, but it was around the $140ish price point. It's what helped form my opinions on baitcasters :D

The second is a Quantum, have no idea what it's called as the name rubbed off. Still gets a workout every spring........until I remember how much I don't like baitcasters. It's become my carp & whistletrout outfit, only use I can find for it :D

May_06Pike008.jpg

I've been using my Spirex for a year or two now. No problems with it yet. Love it actually. It's a 2000 series I think. The only thing I don't like about it, is the taingles when casting a thin/flexable braided line. The line gets caught up on the trigger sometimes. Mine came with two spools, so I have one with Mono, and one with heavy braid. Good drag, and smooth action.

I'm in the same boat as you fishing the quick-fire rig my hole life. I just bought a shimano symetre, and had to learn how to cast all over again! Another good reel for the price.

I've had quantum reals, (not the one you are looking at specifically). It took a good beating, and kept on realin' in the fish. Paint all chipped off though. Can't comment on their new products.

Good luck,

Fish