quantum vs shimano reels

pike slayer

ok i'm not a very brand loyal kinda guy but since i've started fishing i've always used shimano rods and reels. i learned to fish with the quickfire trigger that come on shimano reels and i now wont buy a reel without it. i want to upgrade my spinning setup and im looking at either the quantum snapshot 30 or the shimano spirex 2500. whats your opinion on these reels? i can buy the quantum for $26.00 and the spirex for $45. i'll looking for a 6'6"-7' medium fast action rod to put the reel on and it will be my all around rod for a little bit of everything. which one to get?

I went to the buy the Spirex. But when I went to BPS I found that it didn't have constant anti-reverse. Thought that was odd for a reel in this day & age. I ended up getting a Pflueger President that has been good so far.

Where did you find a Spirex for $45?

Edited by Banger68

Shimano has their head office in Peterborough.

Parts and service are available there or through places like Aickman's in TO or Rocky's in Orillia.

Where do you have to send these other reels for service?

Do these companies actually make the reels?

Today most popular priced reels are being made by third parties in Korea or China.

In three or four years there will be new models and the current units might be orphans.

Well, based on my experience with a Quantum PTi, I'd have to say Shimano!

My Quantum is very perdy, shiny and looks fantastic with the sun reflecting off of it, but that anti-reverse is crap. It decides from time to time to simply disengage ON IT"S OWN! Also, the bail sometimes decides to close, ON IT"S OWN mid cast.

If it wasn't so dang perdy, it would be sitting on the bottom of the lake.

HH

My Quantum is very perdy, shiny and looks fantastic with the sun reflecting off of it, but that anti-reverse is crap. It decides from time to time to simply disengage ON IT"S OWN! Also, the bail sometimes decides to close, ON IT"S OWN mid cast.

HH

Mine has worked flawlessly for a couple of summers now. The anti-reverse has been rock solid. I think the bail may have closed accidentally once but I assumed I was just rushing my cast and hadn't opened it firmly. In fact I'm thinking about picking up another one. It's also tough. I fell whilst clambering up a gravelly bank and landed with my not unsubstantial weight on the reel. I don't think it was even scratched. It's been on the bottom of the creek several times with no after effects. A friend tried mine and compared it to his admittedly cheaper but favoured Shakespeare reels as being like driving a BMW and an old clunker.

My only moment of concern was the time the crank unwound itself in mid fish landing and fell to the bottom of the creek. Still have no clue how that happened. It wasn't a heavy fish and I'm sure I'd have noticed if the anti-reverse had let go and the handle was unwinding against my grip pressure. I was able to gather it up and wind it back on while still keeping a reasonably tight line and safely land the bass. Good anti-reverse test. I've been watching ever since and there's been no sign of the same problem.

JF

Go with the Daiwa Regal Xia for 69.99 from Western Tire :D . oh and...

QUIT USING THAT STUPID TRIGGER!!!!!!!!

EDIT- And SLOW DOWN when we're driving!!! I thought I was gonna throw up in the passengers seat with you behind the damned wheel.

Edited by archie_james_c

Any Shimano product under $200 is junk.

After I went through three Stradics in a year I'm never getting suckered into buying anything from them again.

And then there's the baitcaster that warped it's frame on the first hookset.

Or even the Shimano badged neoprene gloves that ripped open the 2nd time I used them.

Or the time Bob Izumi was demonstrating how great the current series of Shimano rods were in the BPS tank when the first 8" snapped off the end of the rod bouncing a 1/8 oz. jig......

If you want to help Bob Izumi make another million shilling snake oil, by all means buy Shimano.

If you want tackle that actually works for less money.....buy anything else.

I went to the buy the Spirex. But when I went to BPS I found that i didn't have constant anti-reverse. Thought that was odd for a reel in this day & age.

Banger, the reason the Spirex doesn't have continuous anti-reverse is the whole trigger cast thing. It needs to re-set to the point where the trigger thing can pick up the line. I had an old Spirex that I abused like a gov't mule and it never failed me. Really an awesome specimen. Eventually gave it to Jos as I "outgrew" the trigger (see below). lol

The only spinning reel I can remember with a trigger *and* continuous anti-reverse was the Quantum Hypercast. Bought 3 as soon as they came out. They sorta worked as advertised for a little bit. All three seized up and died within a season though. 2 are on the bottom of a lake in Quetico National Park. Yes, I was a little frustrated at that point. :)

Because of the Hypercast fiasco, I have never bought another Quantum reel. I use their rods almost exclusively due to the warranty. Can't say Shimano has been perfect or Daiwa either as I had 2 Solstaces that failed right out of the box. Literally on the first cast on the lake FOR BOTH. I was fishing with the person I bought them off of and the look on his face was priceless. Those were the last trigger reels I bought. Bought a beautiful Daiwa reel for 50% off at a going out of business sale. Still over a $100 at 50% off. I took it out and it was like I was an organ grinder with a dancing monkey. Ridiculous. That one I think I donated to a kawartha lake.

I shouldn't be littering, I know, but when I was younger I didn't deal with frustration as well as I do now.

:lol:

Banger, the reason the Spirex doesn't have continuous anti-reverse is the whole trigger cast thing. It needs to re-set to the point where the trigger thing can pick up the line.

Makes sense. Personally I'll do away with the trigger and keep the constant anti-reverse.

Any Shimano product under $200 is junk.

After I went through three Stradics in a year I'm never getting suckered into buying anything from them again.

That's odd, given how Stradic is considered the work horse of Shimano spinning reels. What were your target species?

They all break and suck. Ive had gears strip on my quantum kinetic, handle break on a shimano sedona, and have had bad luck with pfleuger reels as well. Keep in mind I am a pickeral guy and alot of my fishing consists of jigging, and casting jigs. Although, according to a BPS employee Pfleuger made the first spinning reel, and have been around for about 100 years.

first, doesn't matter what reel you buy...somebody, somewhere will have had a bad experience with it....just a fact of life, there is not a single manufacturer that can say that they roll only perfect products out their doors....you will always find a few bad apples, no matter what orchard you're walking through....

I've had a stradic for 5-6 yrs and have beat the crap out of it....it does show a ton of use and battle scars but it still performs flawlessly.....aside from abuse on fishing trips, I do take good care and maintence of my tackle....which most guys do not....

as for bail arms not functioning properly...huge common problem....and I would say that 90% of those problems are from people engaging the crank and letting the reel close the bail....CLOSE IT WITH YOUR HAND and then start reeling....it will add yrs to the life of it

I've never been a fan of quantum snapshots....not a big fan of shimano quick fire either....but if you like that, then so be it.....I would get the spirex over the quantum you're looking at...

guessing that about 50 is your budget?....I would also look at the shimano syncopate (quickfire), solstace, sonara and sedona....I was looking at the latter two over the weekend and they were both 50-60ish.....

if you're looking for a great rod....I was looking at the new rapala ts2's ( might have that wrong but close enough) and it's a pretty sharp looking rod, feels great...I was looking at a 6'7" med fast action, labelled as a slash/jerk bait rod but i'd say it would be great multi purpose rod....was 66 bucks at the shop in lambeth.....

That's odd, given how Stradic is considered the work horse of Shimano spinning reels. What were your target species?

Steel, carp & kings.

I average around 4 fish before any Shimano reel I've bought fails in some way.

Failures include:

Drag discs practically melting and fusing together (that was after one fish).

Frame warping.

Anti-reverse stop breaking.

Some anonymous bit of plastic breaking off and jamming the gears.

There were a few others but I ignored them until the reel became utterly useless to use.

To put things into perspective, I've gotten 10 years of use out of a Daiwa Emblem-X I dragged up from Bronte harbour, four years of hard use out of an Okuma Avenger before the frame warped, Daiwa SS1600 that's older than most high school students and still works and a Quantum "something" (so used there's no ID markings left on it except for half of the word "Energy") that still works fine with the exception of a bent reel handle after 70lbs of canoe & gear landed on it.

Other than a bail spring for the Daiwa Emblem-X they've gotten a yearly clean & lube and that's it. I've never had any Shimano reel last long enough to need cleaning.

The bile I have for Shimano products is surpassed only by the atlantic salmon program and PWC's.

That's odd you had bad luck with stradics. I own 4 of them and have certainly put them through their paces guiding everyday. I'm a shimano snob... tried, quantum, and killed a diawa in 30 days - shimano only now.

This is another debate that could never end, however.

Steel, carp & kings.

I average around 4 fish before any Shimano reel I've bought fails in some way.

Failures include:

Drag discs practically melting and fusing together (that was after one fish).

Frame warping.

Anti-reverse stop breaking.

Some anonymous bit of plastic breaking off and jamming the gears.

There were a few others but I ignored them until the reel became utterly useless to use.

To put things into perspective, I've gotten 10 years of use out of a Daiwa Emblem-X I dragged up from Bronte harbour, four years of hard use out of an Okuma Avenger before the frame warped, Daiwa SS1600 that's older than most high school students and still works and a Quantum "something" (so used there's no ID markings left on it except for half of the word "Energy") that still works fine with the exception of a bent reel handle after 70lbs of canoe & gear landed on it.

Other than a bail spring for the Daiwa Emblem-X they've gotten a yearly clean & lube and that's it. I've never had any Shimano reel last long enough to need cleaning.

The bile I have for Shimano products is surpassed only by the atlantic salmon program and PWC's.

Maybe it's time for a change, perhaps this is the place for you. :rolleyes:

HH

Which year did you get your Quantum PTi? I got mien the first year they came out here and I LOVE IT! I havent used a better spinning reel for the price range. (and the old ones are far prettier then the new ones IMHO)

I killed the only Shimano spinning reel I've owned - and I dont even know how! I cant remember which one it was, one of those $80 combos from Walmart 4-5 years back. Dont get me wrong, I love Shimano baitasters, but I'll stick with my Quantum spinning gear!

Edited by mepps

Hey Clive, my PTi is probably around 10years old. Now, that being said, I can recall entire years where I did not use it at all, being as I am a mostly trolling kinda dude. (OK, back then I was, but I have started casting again) So, in essence, the reel may have only one "true" season on it.

I take care of my equipment, heck I still have a Johnson Century I bought back in the early 70's and it works like the day I bought it. I have Mitchell reels that are almost as old as me, they still work... ok, probably a little better than me! :P

The reason I bought this reel was I broke the handle off an older Quantum that I really liked. As I had some challenges sourcing a new handle, I figured, what the heck, I'm worth it, I'll buy another Quantum. Big mistake as far as my experience with this reel goes.

Bernie and Gerritt can attest to the challenges this reel has given me as they were there this past 24 weekend and watched as the ati-reverse would simply let go, at the worst of times I might add. Also, they had front row seats, watching my crawler separate itself from my jig when I casted out and the bail would close on the reel, with the jig only half way to it's destination! :wallbash:

Maybe I got a dud, I don't know, but there is no love lost from me, with this reel!

HH

I have 6 Quantum's and love em never a problem and the one Catalyst PTi spinning reel has 5 tough years under its belt.

Have 2 Shimano Catala baitcasters and I would not write home about them. If any weight on the line, the spool will not release to cast with either of them.

HH

i've had the same problem with mine , a 20 series PTi tour

i took it apart and cleaned the inside seems fine now

I was told by the quantum reps to send it to quantum and they will repair or replace thats why you pay the extra money for them apprently very good warranty , never had to use it though

I have both quantum PTi and Stradics , me i chose Stradic

wow! i definitly didnt expect this many replies on this topic. i didnt want to open up a can of worms but i guess its like asking ford or chevy? i've had one diawa and it lasted me maybe a month and i didnt like it one bit. i've 3 shimanos that work flawlessly and i have never had a problem. i could go more expensive but the high end reels dont have the trigger system. i think i'll probably just go with the shimano. then its looking for a decent medium action spinning rod. i'll check out that one rapala rod. i also live in sault ste. marie and i cant just go to these store some of you guys are talking about. most of my stuff is worked online.