wallye and crappie on slip bobbers and floating jigs

limeyangler

hi all,

got out for a couple of hours on Tuesday, went to a spot i love even though the fishing has been tough there so far this year. In fact the fishing has been sporadic evrywhere for me this year. Talking to other anglers it has a lot to do with the cold weather, poor fishies dont know what time of year it is or where they should be....lol.

I snuck into the little bay after trying to find the smallies....without success, water temp at the surface still mid 50's. Anyway, was marking lots of fish in the little cove and tried my usual 1/8 jig 'n' minnow presentation. Got a couple of pike but was after some supper fish...walleye and crappie.

I knew something was up with my presentation because i could see the jig on the fishfinder and fish were coming off the bottom but not hitting. So i decided to try the slip bobber, instant result...small walleye. Then i lost what mustv'e been the biggest crappie i have ever seen...was at least 14 inches and fought like a 3lb pike......darn it!

Also tried the floating jig with a running(slip) sinker ...again instant results....a nice 17' walleye. Then the thunder clouds started to gather and i decided to head home before i got caught out in the middle of Lake Wabigoon.......anyway....seems like slow vertical presentation was the key yesterday......here's a few pics/vids.

Picture-1.jpg

Nice report Simon, thanks. There's some good eats there.

For me, when all else fails, a floating jig will usually pickup a walleye or two.

Many years ago, one of my favorite ways to fish was with porcupine quills. In faster water they wouldn't get carried off quite so quickly so a minnow, leech or worm could be held a foot or so above bottom. The quill served well as it offered no resistance and provided an instant visual as to what was happening with the bait. Good times.

Thanks for sharing.

Many years ago, one of my favorite ways to fish was with porcupine quills. In faster water they wouldn't get carried off quite so quickly so a minnow, leech or worm could be held a foot or so above bottom. The quill served well as it offered no resistance and provided an instant visual as to what was happening with the bait. Good times.

Ah yes porcupine quills. Methinks you're a closet steelheader Roy. :)

Nice goin' Simon!