Looking at getting my first casting outfit from BPS!

Dnthmn

Well, I now have a combination of fresh birthday money and BPS gift cards burning a hole in my wallet and was looking at pairing a BPS Bionic Plus baitcasting reel with a Bionic Blade trigger rod 7' Heavy. Just wonder if anyone has used or owned either and what their thoughts are.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What type of fishing do you do the most?

Heavy action is a pretty stiff rod to get to learn casting a baitcasting outfit with.

I'd recommend med - med. heavy to start off with first.

Can't go wrong with the BPS brands, or Shimano.

Check out the Extreme rods and reels. Well worth the extra money. Rods are still on sale till the 21st and call to see if they still have any of last years reels at $39. You'll never regret it

Edited by Fang

This looks like a decent outfit. If it's on sale, great, if not, can you wait?

With BPS everything goes on sale, so I only buy their brands when they are on sale.

I have owned three of their Extreme rods and can't find fault with them.

As suggested above, Medium Heavy is probably a better all around Bass and Pike fishing choice.

I don't know who makes this reel. It looks like a Pflueger...but who know if Pflueger makes their own reels...grin. In any case, with these house brand reels it's doubtful that there will be parts available in the future. On the other hand your not paying a lot for it.

Check the reviews on their site 1st before you make a final decision....

I would personally suggest a Daiwa Megaforce as your 1st... I had it for awhile and it served me great.

No problems with it whatsoever!

The product reviews seem decent with an overall rating of 4.4. It looks like the major complaint may come from inexperience in setting up the reel. I've got a bass fanatic friend who owns more baitcasters than I can count and has more years experience using them than I would care to guess at. Thankfully he will be assisting me in getting past the learning curve when I get started.

What type of fishing do you do the most?

Heavy action is a pretty stiff rod to get to learn casting a baitcasting outfit with.

I'd recommend med - med. heavy to start off with first.

Can't go wrong with the BPS brands, or Shimano.

I was looking at the heavy more because of where I will be using the rig. Primarily on Rondeau bay where the weeds will grow out of the water by mid to late July. If a MH is a better all around option I'll go that route.

Check out the Extreme rods and reels. Well worth the extra money. Rods are still on sale till the 21st and call to see if they still have any of last years reels at $39. You'll never regret it

Hmmm...never thought of calling the store to see if they have the previous years model.

This looks like a decent outfit. If it's on sale, great, if not, can you wait?

With BPS everything goes on sale, so I only buy their brands when they are on sale.

I have owned three of their Extreme rods and can't find fault with them.

As suggested above, Medium Heavy is probably a better all around Bass and Pike fishing choice.

I don't know who makes this reel. It looks like a Pflueger...but who know if Pflueger makes their own reels...grin. In any case, with these house brand reels it's doubtful that there will be parts available in the future. On the other hand your not paying a lot for it.

Decisions, decisions the bionic setup has both rod and reel on sale for a total of about $85 but the emtreme combo is on for $110. I'm probably gonna have to go to the coin toss on that one :D

Thanks for the responses guys!

both rod and reel are BPS Extreme brand. I have 5 of the Extreme reels and really like them. Never have any problems in 3 years now and have started to replace my older bass rods with the Extreme

BPS web site is selling last years reel (1 size left) for $39 USD and the combo for $109

I was down May 29 I think & bought 2 left handed Extreme reels they were the last 2 they had that day or I might have bought more, I have 6 or so now only trouble is I had a spool split, but it was the 1st one I bought & it was $100.00 for the combo when Hully Gully 1st started carry BPS, no complaints here, also have Shimano, Quantum & Abu Garcia & the Abu's have given me the most trouble, likely have 50 rods from $30. combos to $400. outfit with 15 to 20 used mostly

Richard