where are the muskies in Scougog?

dizzidevil

Hello fellow fishermen! Well first off need help on finding these tooth critters. I'm planning on taking my little guy who is five and try for these fish. If I caught one, I don't know who would be more excited, me or him! I got Dave mercer's map and wondering if it produces fish in the area's that are marked.

Don't trust Dave Mercer, he doesn't know very much about fish or fishing. Just hop in your boat and wander aimlessly around the lake, who knows you might get lucky!

Look for the right structure, ambush points etc, and try there. Good luck!

If you're taking the little guy I might suggest dangling a worm off the side of the boat for him while you toss bucktails over the weeds. I can't think of a better way to turn a kid off fishing than going after musky! My five year old can't sit 5 minutes without a bite never mind quite possibly an entire day with nothing. While he's entertained with the panfish you may just get lucky and scare the bejeebers out of him with a 40+ inch fish

LOL - Someone's looking to "off" their own kid!

EDIT: Here Son... Remember the movie "Finding Nemo".... Lets put his friend on the hook and dangle him below - Nemo will find him. *power on camera & record kid fishing*

Edited by A2F

Gotta chime in onthis...

...................................I feel it is a duty of sorts....

If your asking where on Scugog can you catch muskellunge........Then it is no place at all for a 5yr old!

Musky on Scugog are there for the taking in the smallish size BUT....its the small ones that do the thrashing when netted or brought boat side and they do the most damage.

A little tip Dizzedevil,

Go for 'lunge with someone else first who has experience...

You will then be able to decide wether or not you'd like to have a 5yr old involved.......

There are plenty of other species to fish for and even more important....the pan fish are also plentiful and will capture your sons attention for a mite........Even the most avid of 5yr olds...!

You'd scare the begeeeze out of a 5yr old with a musky on your line if not handled properly........let alone yourself.

They are like no other fish.......

My rule of thumb...

if my boating partner cannot handle a very large net or a decent pair of hook cutters they dont come period.

You just may be too exhilarated durring the fight and forget what ends up...IT HAPPENS....SERIOUSLY

No place for a 5yr old at all IMHO

No Offence meant but,

I thinks you need to read a little more about this species

There are plenty of other species to be caught that will keep his attention if the interest is there

Please rethink this plan and let us know how your day went....

Pictures are exellent...

Peace

If you must try for musky with the little one, I would suggest trolling for them. When I musky fish with the wife and daughter in the boat and hook one, first thing I do is get the wife to put the daughter up in the front of the boat. This way if a lure gets thrown she'll be safe. Then I take the fight to the back of the boat and deal with the fish alone while the wife gets the camera ready. I'll unhook it over the water, if possible, then grab a quick photo. Then while I revive it for release my daughter comes into the middle of the boat and sometimes holds the tail while it gets it's strength back. She's 8yrs old. If I were you I'd go after the crappies with worms under bobbers for a 5yr old.

I have to echo the others and say have a panfish bonanza with a 5-year old rather then a musky. Sure, my daughter who is 5 would love to see a musky but there is now way the 2 of us can fish for them in a safe manner when one is hooked. Go out and have fun with fish that bite often and that will get your 5-year old wanting to fish more, not one big musky that scares the crap out of them, IMHO...

Dont listen to these guys my boy is 7 now and has a 37" 40" 46" all casted hooked and fought by him self. TAKE YOUR KIDS FISHING get them away from the TV. My boy has been pike/musky fishing for 2 years has his own gear rod. reel and lures. Give your boy a top water bait. just watch his face.

I have the only fishing partner I need.He is all ways up and ready to go any time.

All this talk now we have to giver a go to night..

Jeff

Dizzi, if you have fished for muskies on your own and have some experience with them than I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have your son along; however, I think you run the risk of having him get bored pretty fast. Let's face it, it's not like you're gonna go out and get one every time. Both my boys had fishing rods in their hands when they were three years old but I didn't really take them muskie fishing until they were very comfortable using the equipment (baitcasters :P ) and were OK with getting skunked now and again. I agree with the majority that replied in this thread, stick to the smaller stuff to keep his interest and when he gets a little older give the muskies a shot. Too him a fish is a fish at this point.

Try trolling with a white spinner bait, tipped with a black Berkley Leech in 6-8 feet of water (just above the weedline) and not only could you catch a muskie, but you will more than likely catch a few walleye too. I like the shore line opposie of Port Perry up to Goreski's and then back.

This time a few years ago, we did just that and managed to catch a ton of walleye and a couple of muskies.

thanks guys for the reply's! My son has been on the boat with me for hours, he like's to bring toys on the boat. His routine is fish for a bit and than play, fish, play. I agree with all of you on fish for small which I would be doing, but also I will be casting bucktails into weeds.