Largemouth/Pike Rondeau Bay, Fishing Tips Needed

Guest mbmkenton

Guest MBMOHIO

I will be going to Rondeau for the 1st time on July 11th. Will be staying at Erieau. Can anyone supply any tips for fishing the bay for largemouth and pike. I've tried to get a map but no luck so far. Appreciate any info regarding good spots, lures, etc... Thanks

I will be going to Rondeau for the 1st time on July 11th. Will be staying at Erieau. Can anyone supply any tips for fishing the bay for largemouth and pike. I've tried to get a map but no luck so far. Appreciate any info regarding good spots, lures, etc... Thanks

Welcome aboard. Tell us about yourself.

Not sure that a map would help much. Not a lot in the way of structure.

RONDEAU BAY

Rondeau Bay offers anglers a chance to match wits with some of the province's cagiest bass. The dishpan-shaped bottom offers little in structure, except for sporadic manmade structures placed about the bay by the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR). Rondeau largemouth are referred to locally as nomads, traveling in small schools, using basic structures and sandbars as they move about. A large sandbar preceding the Rondeau mash on the east side of the bay is a known haunt for big bass. Casting a large white spinnerbait on the bar and retrieving it slowly just below the surface accounts for as many bass as does fan-casting the large sand hump in the middle of the bay with silver/blue crankbaits.

Pay attention to details, such as wind direction, which influences currents in the small opening between Lake Erie and the bay. A strong southeast wind brings bass to the "Eau" to feed on large schools of shad. Lewis Rattle Traps work well, as do large tube jigs, cast and retrieved along the sharp sand break.

Rondeau marsh is silted to the point that successful bassing occurs only at the outer reaches. Due to shallow water, push-poles and electric motors are necessary. The western shoreline offers anglers better access to subtle underwater structures, such as weedbeds, dock pilings, and trough adjacent to rock and steel seawalls.

Late summer and early autumn yield the largest Rondeau bucketmouths. All the fish are chunky and well fed, with 1 3/4 pounds being a fair average, and plenty of 3 and 4 pounders

Remember, Google is your friend!

John..