Bass Season Is Almost Here

Well it's getting to that special day for my zone and for many others, Saturday June 27th when bass opens up. For me, I'm going to try and simplify my bass tackle and think weeds, nothing but moderate to thick weeds for those Largemouth. Barely getting my feet wet last fall and using spinning tackle in the Scugog Slop I managed a few good fish. My favorite and PB on a Jig(a pro's typical 3lb jig largemouth lol)

4u.jpg

Going to try to put the odds in my favor and catch myself a 5lb largemouth and try to get close to my PB 6lb largemouth.

Going to try my best to save up some bucks and get a flippin stick for those Jig's I'm learning to use as well as a few topwater's for the heavy cover. Can't wait to get out there on Scugog and well attempt to catch some nice bass. Where is everybody heading this opener, and what is your general idea for techniques your going to be using this year.

My ideas for the bass + a few other baits of course.->

100_0844.jpg

Good luck this year everybody(not that luck is involved in fishing) ;)

MTBF :)

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Mike;

The truth is you probably don't need a Flippin stick. (Named for Flippin Arkansas)

Any MH rod will do. Back in the day, rod lockers on Bass boats were made to handle 5' to 6'6" rods.

When the short range underhand jig casting techniques were first shown, the rods were 7'2 through about 7'6" and had to be telescopic to go small enough to fit into the rod lockers of the day...thus was born the mighty Flippin Stick.

Tossing a bait under handed can be done with any rod you have that will handle the weight.

Denny Brauer and the boys use some huge jigs and trailers, so the rods they use are almost like Musky rods with soft tips. Chances are you will use jigs of 3/8 and 1/2 ounce a lot more than 1 1/2 ounce jigs. Long rods give you more range when flippin, since you don't usually cast any line off the reel, but today most guys already own rods of 7 ft or more that will do the job just fine.

Edited by garry2rs

Mike;

The truth is you probably don't need a Flippin stick. (Named for Flippin Arkansas)

Any MH rod will do. Back in the day, rod lockers on Bass boats were made to handle 5' to 6'6" rods.

When the short range underhand jig casting techniques were first shown, the rods were 7'2 through about 7'6" and had to be telescopic to go small enough to fit into the rod lockers of the day...thus was born the mighty Flippin Stick.

Tossing a bait under handed can be done with any rod you have that will handle the weight.

Denny Brauer and the boys use some huge jigs and trailers, so the rods they use are almost like Musky rods with soft tips. Chances are you will use jigs of 3/8 and 1/2 ounce a lot more than 1 1/2 ounce jigs. Long rods give you more range when flippin, since you don't usually cast any line off the reel, but today most guys already own rods of 7 ft or more that will do the job just fine.

Rod manufacturers are gonna bomb yer house some night.

JF

i know for smallies they just love the #8 x-raps and the #6 x-rap shad. i cant say i've ever caught a largemouth cause theres none near here, maybe the odd one in the river. how well have you done on that white snake? i remember a year or so ago my buddy seen a infommerical on them and bought like $50 worth and the dvd on how to use them. after the first day he used them they went to the bottom of the lake cause i was laying into them and he wasnt getting anything on those things.

Ive already been practicing for bass at a small local pond near my house, classic catch and release will help me plan my out some new tactics for catching the big one when I venture up north! I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Are these bass you're targeting near your house in season?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

i know for smallies they just love the #8 x-raps and the #6 x-rap shad. i cant say i've ever caught a largemouth cause theres none near here, maybe the odd one in the river. how well have you done on that white snake? i remember a year or so ago my buddy seen a infommerical on them and bought like $50 worth and the dvd on how to use them. after the first day he used them they went to the bottom of the lake cause i was laying into them and he wasnt getting anything on those things.

Not sure if these were the snakes your friend got but this was the kit i got. http://www.bassprofessor.com/elite/originalfishingsnake.php

And yes they did work well, and they would of worked better if i had a baitcast combo with tough line as for every fish i caught i missed like 5 fish due to stretch in my light mono.

Caught 2 mid2lb'rs at Scugog, a 4.8lb LMB up in Kingston along with a few 2's and 2.5's and even caught my first pike on this snake bait(little 22" pike).

They worked very well with a slow jerk pause retrieve on top of the slop/moderate weeds. Hopefully i can draw out the fish again as I know i missed some BIG fish last season. Ah well live and learn.

Good luck if you decide to try them.

Sounds like a dirty joke to me...

I will be tossing Senko type worms, but I plan to wash off as many crankbaits as possible, just for fun.

My lakes don't have many weeds so treble hooks are no problem.

Ok!... I've got a White Snake that always goes into the slop, but never reaches bottom.... can anyone else relate to this???

Bet ya switch to a 3" white tube when you fish our cold northern waters.

JF