splashhopper

Fisherman reels in live missile

MADEIRA BEACH, Fla. — Authorities in Florida say a commercial fisherman reeled in a live missile in the Gulf of Mexico and kept it on his boat for 10 days.

The sheriff’s office in Pinellas County says the boat’s captain, Rodney Salomon, hooked the air-to-air guided missile 80 kilometres off the Panhandle town of Panama City.

The U.S. air force and navy use Gulf waters off the Panhandle for weapons training.

Salomon had the missile aboard his boat for 10 days before returning Monday to port in Madeira Beach, near St. Petersburg.

A bomb squad was called in from MacDill Air Force Base and dismantled the missile in an empty parking lot.

The bomb squad said the missile was very corroded from floating in salt water for a long time. They said it was live and in a very unstable state.

I understand that the Dunnville Airport was a WWII training facility and that the marsh was used for bombing practice with the possibility of a few pieces of unexploded ordanace existing buried there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• Muskie Rods/Reels Casting and Trolling

View Advert Muskie Rods/Reels Casting and Trolling Everything you need for Muskie Fishing.  Check my other ad for tackle, bag, tools and net. St. Croix Sling Blade LTMU86HF $375 St. Croix PGM80HM $250 ST. Croix Top and Tail TMU80MHF $350 Shimano TDR Trolling Rod $30 Shimano Calcutta 401D Left Hand. Loaded with 80lb test Power Pro and a 100lb test flouro leader. With Reel Glove $390 Revo Toro NaCl 61 Left hand $250  

in Fishing Tackle and Equipment

• Any Eastern Lake Erie fisherman here?

It's been quite some time since I've posted on this forum. There was a time when I would check in several times a day. I made the move to self-employment a few years ago and now I have more time to fish. If my customers had their way I'd be working 7 days a week 🙂 but sometimes you have to put your foot down. I also upgraded from a 14 foot Lund to a 20-foot Tahoe. This allows me to do both pleasure boating with family and fishing. Bought it used back in 2017 and immediately had it fit with a Mot

in General Discussion

• FS: Shimano/Megabass Baitcaster Reels

View Advert FS: Shimano/Megabass Baitcaster Reels Shimano Calcutta Conquest $539, Condition 9/10   Megabass IS-73 $539, Condition 9/10 (SOLD)   Megabass IS-79 $539, Condition 9/10 (SOLD)   Kevin @ 641-898-3899 Advertiser okumasheffield Date 06/18/2019

• Higher end rods and reels for sale

View Advert Higher end rods and reels for sale Selling some higher end fishing gear. All bought within the last 2 years and all in excellent condition. G-Loomis NRX 853C JWR - $500 G-Loomis NRX 852S JWR - $500 Shimano Alderbaren 50HG - $450 Shimano Scorpian DC 100HG JDM - $350 Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500  - $280 Shimano Stradic 2500 Fk - $190 All reels are spooled with Power Pro (various pound tests') and are right handed. I can ship the reels (

• Panoptix Live scope So cool

You gotta check this out https://www.facebook.com/FishnCanada/videos/340779050062565/

in General Discussion