Fishing Line Advice

Lakeshore

Hi all, I am respooling two spinning reels. I am looking for something that would be all purpose, whether casting or perhaps trolling. I would be using it for multispecies fishing, many different presentations etc...

Something in the 8-12 lb test range. What would be your best advice. I have always stuck to mono, but I am not happy with the line memory of regular mono line.

What would be my best option?? I am mostly a weekend fisher, get out with the kids close to home, a few trips up north, nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks

Edited by Lakeshore

Jedi, and Gone fishin" couldnt of said it better , frie line and power pro is what i would recomend for a spinning set up, from 10-20lb range. cant go wrong there , ecpecially the line diameter that braid has !

Edited by fish-miester

+1 for going to braid, if you fish alot in clear water with picky fish pick up some Seaguar leader material to attach a foot or two to the end.

You will need to learn a few new knots, clinch knots for mono don't hold well on braid, and you'll need to keep some clippers around.

Can braid damage the rod guides when pressure is applied (i.e. snags and fighting fish)? Also, if you get snagged with braid, you'll have to cut the line near the rod; with mono, you can break off the line near the hook/lure. After 5-6 snags, that's quite a bit of line savings.

Can braid damage the rod guides when pressure is applied (i.e. snags and fighting fish)? Also, if you get snagged with braid, you'll have to cut the line near the rod; with mono, you can break off the line near the hook/lure. After 5-6 snags, that's quite a bit of line savings.

i) no it wont damage guides

ii) no need to cut off at rod. if using baitcaster hold spool with thumb and pull straight back without bending rod. you'll either straighten hooks or break the line at the knot. if using spinning, wrap the line around a glove (or stick or whatever you have that isn't exposed skin) and pull. you'll either straighten hooks or break the line at the knot.

Edited by Raf

Remember to tape the spool or start with some mono backing. I've had braid spin on the spool before. It's a pita.

All we've ever used when ocean fishing from shore is 6lb Fireline, nice, thin and super strong.

You do not need to tape braid to the the spool arbour.

Tie your knot and leave a two or three incn long tag end.

Wind the first layer of line carefully so that the tag end lays flat on the arbour.

The succeeding layers of line will hold everything securely.

It is important to wind the line on under tension, I run the line through the pages of the telephone book. Try to get in the habit of closing the bail by hand and directing the line onto the roller.

Braid is not as slippery as mono and you don't want it wrapped around the front of the spool because it didn't slide all the way onto the roller bearing.

I spooled up my spinning rod with Seagar (SP) floro and am very happy with it. IT's tough as nails, no stretch, little memory and even held out very well ice fishin in -30 degrees. (Ok, it got a little stiff, but hey, so was I! ) Oh, and it's virtually in visible under water!

Pretty pleased so far.

HH

I spooled up my spinning rod with Seagar (SP) floro and am very happy with it. IT's tough as nails, no stretch, little memory and even held out very well ice fishin in -30 degrees. (Ok, it got a little stiff, but hey, so was I! ) Oh, and it's virtually in visible under water!

Pretty pleased so far.

HH

never heard of spooling up entirely with floro...how does it cast?

ditto on the braid with a fluoro leader. Another advantage of the fluoro leader is that on snags, the leader will break before the main line (or the knot connecting the two will break). Definitely be careful though with thin braid, I have cut myself so many times I don't want to think about it due to boneheaded mistakes of grabbing the line and yanking. I think it would cut you right to the bone and make damn effective garrote material.

FLoro in my experience so far has casted equally as well as mono. Hponestly, I could not tell the difference casting. You must, just like and onther line insure that the spool is porperly filled. Outside of that no difference that I can tell!

HH

FLoro in my experience so far has casted equally as well as mono. Hponestly, I could not tell the difference casting. You must, just like and onther line insure that the spool is porperly filled. Outside of that no difference that I can tell!

HH

And don't use leader flouro as main line even if you can afford it. :D

JF

No doubt John! If memory serves me well, I believe that I paid about $20.00 for a spool of non leader type Floro... I think it was a 250 or 300yd spool.

HH

Besides, you'd have an awful lot of knots to tie to fill a spool with leader material, or can you buy it in bulk?

JF

Berkeley's been making Vanish flouro mainline for a long while.

I used it once and it was an absolute nightmare, but they still make it so somebody's buying it.

I got some this spring for trout fishing. Tried the 4lb test for resident brown trout. The line was absolutely useless, in fact useless would be a true compliment to this line. I'd definitely never buy it again under any circumstances.

Berkeley's been making Vanish flouro mainline for a long while.

I used it once and it was an absolute nightmare, but they still make it so somebody's buying it.

I got some this spring for trout fishing. Tried the 4lb test for resident brown trout. The line was absolutely useless, in fact useless would be a true compliment to this line. I'd definitely never buy it again under any circumstances.

YES YES YES!!!! Somebody else had problems with this crap too!!!! I bought 6 lb and kept it on my spare spool for finicky fish and had (still have) Ugly Braid 10lb on my main spool. The Vanish was so brittle I couldn't even tie a knot with out it breaking! I used every knot I could think of (and even youtubed some :P) and still couldn't keep it from breaking at the knot.

I emailed Berkley with my disgust and they wanted me to ship the spool to them so they can test it for defects and IF they figured it was defective they'd send me a new spool :rolleyes: . I told them flat out to eat it and that I'd be using another brand of line from now on..