Lead-core

johnnyb

Well, your old stuff could work, but since we really don't know what you have, it's impossible for us to answer.

Enlighten us with what you think might work. I'm sure many of us are more than willing to help. Viscount is correct, half spool on a 209. (That's 5 colours BTW)

You should also tell us what your gonna be using core for, so we can help that way as well.

HH

Hey JB

I run 2 different setups for lead core. First one is the typical for great lakes. You'll need a downrigger rod and a reel that is for 300 yds of 20lb. Most MH rods will do fine and that reel will take 10 colors of 20 or 30 lb lead core. I run the 30lb out on the lake on an Okuma 45 and it gives me enough backing to run 10 colors of lead core.

The other setup I like is 4-5 colors on a round baitcaster like a Abu 5500 or Dawia 27 size level wind. This is a handy set up for trolling flutter spoons or spinners for walleye. The rod I run on this is a M or MH steelhead casting rod. You want a bit of play on the rod just to keep the hooks from pulling out. We even run this set up with offshore boards in the fall at Quinte with lures that need help getting down to 20 ft or deeper

Bronte had a couple deals going on the bigger reals last week, line counters too I think.

Edited by Fang

Enlightening! Well, the downrigger combo I have is by Walker ,.. rod is an 8.5' Chinook Classic, and the reel is the Walker 100L. The other "old setup" I have is a shorter, stouter rod with a great big trolling reel on it...not really sure the model....at least as big as the Walker, if not bigger. I'd really be going for lakers/walleye on back lakes like Kokoko...maybe big water like Temagami...but if I'm out there, I'll be in a boat that will take my portable downrigger clamped to the side. I'm thinking that I'd go lead core when I don't want to pack in a downrigger on a camping trip.

2 questions at this point:

1) A longer, more limber rod is better?

2) What is the correlation between feet and colours?

You might find that Chinook Classic rod doesn't have enough backbone...try it and see if you like it. I wouldn't use anything shorter than 8'6'' but that's just me.

Depth/Colour depends on lure choice and line choice. 30lb leadcore sinks much faster than 20lb. Trial and error....some say 10' down per colour when using 30lb but i'm thinking more like 8'.

I use a heavy flouro leader infront of the leadcore. Usually 18-20yd. of 25lb.

I agree with the 8 feet down per colour on the 30# @ 2.5 miles per hour...but i dont run it enough to state better....12 colours of 20 # @2.5 puts me into 65 feet down ...

i just won one of the Walker Coho Classics 9 feet with the Walker WTD 300 that im going to set up with new leadcore....kinbda stoked about trying this new lever drag system