Haliburton Rainbow Trout UPdate.

Slayingm

The past few weeks I have been fortunate to pursue a different fishing passion that gets me out of the bassboat and into my 14' Square stern canoe to hit a few different Rainbow lakes in the province. Some trips saw amazing action while a couple of early season ones were poor with cold water temps keeping fish scattered and in a negative mood. The last couple of trips the water temps have started to climb and the Rainbows are starting to setup in their summer patterns suspending over deeper water off secondary points and islands. On one of the trips we caught some nice fish using the Storm Scat back which is a 1.5" bug shaped crankbait. The black/Gold and Brown/Orange colour patterns produced best and I trolled them on Rapala Ultralight rods with 4lb Suffix line and used small splitshot to get down to the depths I was marking the Rainbows on the vexilar. Luhr Jensen Davis trolls with a 3' length of flourocarbon line and muddler minnow flies in black and brown shades also worked well. The other successful pattern was just #1 spinners in gold/silver combo's tipped with a small piece of worm.

Although most of the fish caught were in the 1.5 - 2lb range (Perfect for the Bradley Smoker )this 4lb Fish was caught by one of my guests on the last trip and the colours on this fish were absolutely stunning so thought I would share it along with some of the patterns I have been using.

DinabowMay09-5.jpg

PS, If you plan on heading out make sure you load up on the bug juice and/or jacket. The black flies and mosquito's were really bad in the back woods.

Take care and good fish'n.... Greg.

The past few weeks I have been fortunate to pursue a different fishing passion that gets me out of the bassboat and into my 14' Square stern canoe to hit a few different Rainbow lakes in the province. Some trips saw amazing action while a couple of early season ones were poor with cold water temps keeping fish scattered and in a negative mood. The last couple of trips the water temps have started to climb and the Rainbows are starting to setup in their summer patterns suspending over deeper water off secondary points and islands. On one of the trips we caught some nice fish using the Storm Scat back which is a 1.5" bug shaped crankbait. The black/Gold and Brown/Orange colour patterns produced best and I trolled them on Rapala Ultralight rods with 4lb Suffix line and used small splitshot to get down to the depths I was marking the Rainbows on the vexilar. Luhr Jensen Davis trolls with a 3' length of flourocarbon line and muddler minnow flies in black and brown shades also worked well. The other successful pattern was just #1 spinners in gold/silver combo's tipped with a small piece of worm.

Although most of the fish caught were in the 1.5 - 2lb range (Perfect for the Bradley Smoker )this 4lb Fish was caught by one of my guests on the last trip and the colours on this fish were absolutely stunning so thought I would share it along with some of the patterns I have been using.

Is it me,,, or did this sound like a report from a "fishing Nascar fan" ? :P

but thanks for the detailed info... newbies like me need all the help we can get....

And don't forget,,, start your trip of the lake on the right and keep going left!

I'd love to hear more reports like that...details are GOOD! :lol: Thanks for sharing Greg! Do you take temperature readings while hitting these backlake rainbows? And if so...what temp range should we be looking for?

I'd love to hear more reports like that...details are GOOD! :lol: Thanks for sharing Greg! Do you take temperature readings while hitting these backlake rainbows? And if so...what temp range should we be looking for?

Hi Johnnyb: I have in the past and I have found that my best action in the past has been when the surface temps hit the 63 to 75' mark.... the actions seems to be great every year until Oct. after a couple of frosts.... then I have a really tough time so keep chasing Walleye's and Smallies moving into their wintering grounds.

Good luck out there.... Greg.

Good work Greg, I am heading to my cottage (between Haliburton & Bancroft) on thursday for some rainbow action.

Court

Hi Court R: So much great trout water for Brookies, Splake and Rainbows that way.... best of luck on your trip and look forward to your report.

Take care and good Fish'n... Greg.

Thanks for the great report Greg. Keep them coming.

Hi Glen,

Will do!.... been out on the Kawartha's alot lately for Walleye's and boated a ton.... will post a update soon so stand by!... Greg.