When To Loop?

JohnF

It has occurred to me that all the time I've been using Rapalas I've been tying a tight knot instead of a loop. I studied up on the rapala loop and played around in the pool on the weekend. There is a difference in the action.

So how do I decide which lures should be looped? Or would I be safe in assuming the loop is good for all of them? Presumably the ones that come with a split ring don't need the loop.

JF

you've hit it on the head...no split ring, go for the loop! Some would say ANY wobbling crankbait...but your experimentation will be your guide. Look at you with all the posts tonight! :lol:

There's nothing on tv and all these questions are popping into my head. Been meaning to ask some of these things for a while now. Seems a shame to waste all the knowledge available on this board. You guys would all just sit there with a beer in yer mitt if I wasn't giving ya something to do. :P

JF

Adding to my confusion, I noticed today at the store that some new Rapalas come with split rings in the line eye. So I came home to the pool, took two identical Rapala minnows that were one with, one without split ring, and tied 'em onto matching rod setups. The I set about doing a comparison test.

It's hardly good scientific method, or exhaustive research, but the one sans ring and tied with a rapala knot definitely had more wiggle action than the one tied firmly to the split ring, and looked more realistic with a reasonably steady retrieve.

FYI

JF

I tie the Rapala loop knot about 90% of the time using JIGS but I use a VERY SMALL Berkley cross lock snap (no swivel) when using a Rapala or similar type lures. The reason is because the loop knot only give you about 60% of the line strength. Don't believe me, just tie the loop knot and a improved clinch knot and then pull on the line and see how much easier the loop knot breaks........

I agree with Billy Bob. I use a small cross lock on all my wobbling baits. makes changing a snap and the action is very good.

Muddler

Some of our rapalas are so small I'd be afraid that even a small connector would throw off the weight. A small leader screws them up for sure if yer trying to twitch them. I'm surprised the split ring doesn't mess up the balance unless they've compensated for it in the manufacturing process. A floating minnow with it's arse in the air kinda loses some impact. With the bigger ones I wouldn't have a problem though.

JF

John, this Berkley cross lock snaps (size #1) are VERY VERY small and will not effect any size Rapala but if a lure has a split ring then there is no need to add the snap unless you are using a spoon then I use a ball bearing swiveled Berkley cross lock snap to prevent line twist.

When jig fishing the loop knot definitely helps. If you tie any knot (like a clinch knot) to a jig it effects the jig depending on where that knot settles in on the hook eye. That's why I use the loop knot and also jigs are cheap for me since I tie my own unlike Rapala type lures that are very expensive.

John, this Berkley cross lock snaps (size #1) are VERY VERY small and will not effect any size Rapala but if a lure has a split ring then there is no need to add the snap unless you are using a spoon then I use a ball bearing swiveled Berkley cross lock snap to prevent line twist.

When jig fishing the loop knot definitely helps. If you tie any knot (like a clinch knot) to a jig it effects the jig depending on where that knot settles in on the hook eye. That's why I use the loop knot and also jigs are cheap for me since I tie my own unlike Rapala type lures that are very expensive.

I'll have to check those out. A quick change system when yer standing up to yer keester in a running stream would be handy.

JF