And finally

JohnF

Two years ago on Stoney Lake we had a ball with top water lures on shallow rock reefs on largemouth bass. Even a few smallmouths were hitting them. THEN just as it was getting dark my reel backlashed and I lost the hot top water lure as it broke off and kept on going somewhere. The next morning with a onshore breeze I thought I could find it but no luck.

But anyways, this was really the first time I had great success using top water plugs. Early morning and evenings seem to be the time they worked the best. We had our limit of walleyes so we played with the bass. Boy that lake has a healthy population of largemouth, I will say that.

BTW if I remember correctly the hot lure that I lost looked a lot like the top left lure in your picture.

Bob

#1 - the gold and pink jobbies...just 'walk the dog' ... dynamite!

#2 - tied between jitterbug and tiny torpedo...just fast enough of a retrieve so that you can hear plip-plop-plip-plop...and the smallies will SMASH them :)

The 3 on the right, vertically from the top. Crazy Krawler. Hula Popper and Jitterbug have worked well for me for at least 40 years. I have no Crazy Krawlers left now though. The last few years, the Pop-Rs and Moss Boss/Slad Spoon have been working well.

On a dead calm day over and through weeds better early mornings and evenings though. Pitch dark nights is a fantastic time.

Biggest error committed with those baits is setting the hook too fast. Lots will instinctively set the hook when they see or hear the splash. Not good.

Love Hula Poppers and Jitterbugs. I have a bunch of both. I have found that the hooks get tangled on both lures and have taken to removing the belly hook on both or putting a substantially smaller one on.

Still my favourite type of fishing though.

Jim

Top left looks like a Pop "R" they are a great top water bait.

The Rapala Skitter pop is very good too.

The Jitter Bug is a strange old and very successful bait that I have caught Musky on.

I know some guys swear by Hula Poppers, but I never had any luck with them.

However, the ones I used might have been imitations.

Crazy Crawler...I don't know about, I never owned one.

The Torpedo is a good bait.

The last couple aren't old enough...hahaha...I have no experience with them.

Love fishing with poppers !!!! they work all day as long as its calm out

Crappie smash em, small and large mouth , Pike one of my favourite ways to fish when just out playing around in the boat or off a dock early morning or before dark

my new favourite ones are the XPS poppers from Bass pro they go down to a nice panfish size and bigger

John I've had great luck on the Grand using the top left style (I was using a Rebel popR but same thing) for smallies at all times of the day - in fact my last day on the Grand last year my favourite one broke off on a backlash and floated down river past me - I nearly cried because that lure had been so good to me :)

Edited by TbayBoy

John I've had great luck on the Grand using the top left style (I was using a Rebel popR but same thing) for smallies at all times of the day - in fact my last day on the Grand last year my favourite one broke off on a backlash and floated down river past me - I nearly cried because that lure had been so good to me :)

I'm pretty sure that's a Dollar store special. I plan to give it new hooks before I try it this year.

One thing I've noticed is that there are obviously a number of brand names that buy their blanks from the same supplier and just add paint and differing qualities of hooks. I've seen a lot of repeats.

JF