And these

JohnF

CrankShallow2.gif

I've already tested some of these in the pool and the guys with the little stubby straight up and down lip really do only go down about one foot. The Bumblebee runs about 1' to 18" down and has neat action but I wonder if the fish may catch on that bees don't swim that well.

Anyone recognize any bass killers in there?

Why don't you try tube jigs? In shallow clear water nothing beats a pumpkinseed tube for smallies. And when you snag them up you're only out about a buck instead of $8-$10 for a rapala or other crankbait. Having fished the Grand river for years with tubes, I can tell you that they absolutely love them. They look like the soft shell crayfish that is the smallies #1 favourite food.

Why don't you try tube jigs? In shallow clear water nothing beats a pumpkinseed tube for smallies. And when you snag them up you're only out about a buck instead of $8-$10 for a rapala or other crankbait. Having fished the Grand river for years with tubes, I can tell you that they absolutely love them. They look like the soft shell crayfish that is the smallies #1 favourite food.

I use tubes, and worms, but there's something I like about using these lures in the evening out in the creek. I have pretty good luck with white tubes and wacky rigged worms in different colours. In fact my two best river bass have been on a white tube. Once, I'm ashamed to admit, it was on a wire leader cuz we were getting near a pike pool.

JF

Last year I bought a couple of shallow running cranks like the ones shown. I found they were awesome for bass. I could cast or troll them right over the top of the snag zone and took a lot of smallies that way...some of them were decent hogs.

I have a box or two full of similar baits that I use down south in the winter.

They work down there and should work great up here too.

Let's give small cranks a work out on a couple of my lakes this summer!

I have a box or two full of similar baits that I use down south in the winter.

They work down there and should work great up here too.

Let's give small cranks a work out on a couple of my lakes this summer!

As soon as bass are legal, my friend.

JF

some nice colletions you got there JohnF, anyway i though you wanted to get 10 tops, but i can imagine what you are going through "oh this one will hook a monster, and this one, ....oh and these two are my favourite....." ;) don't forget to change the hooks on dollorama ones before you hit the water.

some nice colletions you got there JohnF, anyway i though you wanted to get 10 tops, but i can imagine what you are going through "oh this one will hook a monster, and this one, ....oh and these two are my favourite....." ;) don't forget to change the hooks on dollorama ones before you hit the water.

Yeah. I'm having too much fun to narrow it down to top 10. But I figger if I can get y'all to help me with the winnowing it'll save a lot of time when the 4th Saturday rolls around.

I've already started with the hooks. Actually I'm putting new hooks on the ones I use the most first, like the A C Shiners. If you look closely at a couple of them you'll see inward curved hooks now.

JF

I throw wake baits a fair bit and I really like them. Pike really like the bigger versions of those wakebaits so be careful with them if there are any snot rockets in you river. Some good lures there. If I was going to buy one lure for you it would be a big o brown crayfish colour (I am not buying you one, but if I was that is what I would get you).

I see 10 of them lures that I have & a lot more maybe we can help narrow down which one to use 1st, Oh yah I think I'll throw a Spinnerbait 1st but 2nd then top right maybe 3rd from top middle no may be bottom left how be you pick & lets vote on it

Richard :Gonefishing::wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash::spam::oops::devil:

Edited by spinnerbaitking

I love those shallow running cranks, John, especially for the rivers I fish around K-W. Add a little current to the retrieve and I find they'll cover pretty much the entire water column of a river where 3 feet is considered a deep hole.

Now spinners, tubes and other plastics are my go-to choices for the rivers but boy, do I love throwin' cranks.

I used to wade clear rivers and creeks for smallies in the summer months to pass the time..

The most productive lures I used were spinners------Easy to carry in a small box---other fish like trout smack em---usuall ride above snaggy rocks.

These lures will all work but I liked the versatility of spinners in these situations---can even thread the dawgs garden hackle on em.

My fav was a Panther Martin in a bumble bee colour but mepps black fury with a danglin worm was close 2nd.

Now go forth young grasshopper

Bushart

I used to wade clear rivers and creeks for smallies in the summer months to pass the time..

The most productive lures I used were spinners------Easy to carry in a small box---other fish like trout smack em---usuall ride above snaggy rocks.

These lures will all work but I liked the versatility of spinners in these situations---can even thread the dawgs garden hackle on em.

My fav was a Panther Martin in a bumble bee colour but mepps black fury with a danglin worm was close 2nd.

Now go forth young grasshopper

Bushart

Thank you, Master.

JF

I've already tested some of these in the pool...

Too bad you can't string 'em all on at once. A bass would be like a kid in a candy store! :D

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny