SMB in Shallow Clear Water

JohnF

I'm gonna show you some other styles as well but here's a starter. Hope nobody minds me getting my pre bass frustrations out this way.

Minnows.gif

I'm still trying to get a consensus on which are the top-rated lures for my kind of fishing (shallow clear creek wading). I find myself swapping lures way too often and I really think I need to settle on a few and give them a good test. My problem is that I have the attention span of a gnat and all the bright colours dazzle me. HELP!

The little guys in the top right are all Rapalas and really too light to cast far. There are A.C.Shiners in there plus an assortment of Rapalas, Daiwas and some real no names to keep y'all on yer toes.

Any standout minnows for any of you? The Rapala third from the top right is very dependable for my buddy Rob. Doesn't do much for me. The two AC Shiners top of second row from right were pretty good for me last summer.

Actually I think this one has already been answered. I like the AC Shiners and a couple of guys suggested the Rainbow pattern Rapala. Those should keep me amused.

JF

If you are fishing shallow water, don't discount topwaters at any time. Tiny torpedos are a great river topwater, as is a 1/8 oz buzzbait (Booyah is making a nice one). I would think about a small Xrap or a LC Pointer 78 in a natural color (olive/silver or black/silver seem to work on most waters) because of the increased casting distance and the ability to suspend.

How far do ya need to cast John? A light action rod with 6lbs mono would cast those small original floaters a good 30-40'.. The countdowns cast a bit further maybe, but those floaters would cover most of your applications. Good assortment though.

Ya want fun and good casting distance? break out a 6ft ultralight set-up spooled with 4 pound test.. That outta test your skills!!

cheers

HD

How far do ya need to cast John? A light action rod with 6lbs mono would cast those small original floaters a good 30-40'.. The countdowns cast a bit further maybe, but those floaters would cover most of your applications. Good assortment though.

Ya want fun and good casting distance? break out a 6ft ultralight set-up spooled with 4 pound test.. That outta test your skills!!

cheers

HD

I've got a rod/reel set up with 4# but the rod's kinda whippy (cheap). I'm checking out a better UL now. UL is fun.

I've gotta spend more time with the little guys because I haven't had much luck with distance on them. I'll give 'em another shot out at the pool. It's 36' long so if I stand well back it should be a decent test.

JF

I've got a rod/reel set up with 4# but the rod's kinda whippy (cheap). I'm checking out a better UL now. UL is fun.

I've gotta spend more time with the little guys because I haven't had much luck with distance on them. I'll give 'em another shot out at the pool. It's 36' long so if I stand well back it should be a decent test.

JF

Don't you think you deserve a new toy, a little somthin somthin just for yourself?! ;)

I have a 6'6 GL2 light action rod that's rated for 4-8lbs test.. The length helps with the cast and tames the larger fish quite nicely. It's teamed up with a stradic for super silk whale grease on a iceberg drag. It's my litle honey. I just gave it couple whips for good measure!! :w00t:

HD