Weekend carp fishing

Marko

Decided to hit CCIW on the weekend, heard that a fair amount of big fish has been caught there recently so decided to give it a try. Called Trevor and Victor and off we went.

Got there and started setting up, when John came by and told us that there were fish swimming everywhere in shallow water a little bit up from where we were.

Pack up and move up a little bit and what do you know, dozens of them just swimming everywhere really close to the shore, could not believe my eyes.

So i took my light action rod and just put some corn on a hook and casted in the area without any weight, about 10 minutes later i get the first run, fish almost spooled me, could not believe the sheer strength of these fish. Few minutes into the fight hook came out and the fish was off. Lost another one shortly, but third time was the charm and managed to land one.

My PB at the time, 15lb and measured at 31inch.

SatFish1.jpg

Another pic of the same fish,

SatFishPB1.jpg

Ignore the tourney sign and the hair haha.

About an hour or so later I get another run and when everything was said and done i got another PB.

This guy weighed 19lb and measured at 34 inches, a huge fish in my books

SatFishPB2.jpg.

Fish were everywhere but the bite was fairly slow, Trevor managed one and Victor got one or two as well.

Didnt get enough fishing on saturday so decided to come back on sunday, a bit later in the afternoon.

Few casts in i get a run and its this little guy,

SunFish1.jpg

It died down for about two hours and then a little bit better fish hit and gave me a nice fight.

Came at 12lb,

SunFish2.jpg.

Fishing was slow again, they started spawning so i guess thats all they wanted to do.

Here is a funny part, well its funny now that it ended well.

I dont have a bait runner so i was using just a spinning reel and my rod was sitting on the rocks. I got a huge hit and the next thing i know my rod is in the water hahah, could not believe it, i just kinda stood there and watched it swim away, didnt even get a chance to flinch and it was gone. I was right beside the rod and the fish just took it, happened too fast.

At this point i am pissed so i grab another rod and a big spoon and started casting. This went on for about half an hour, well into the night. Just when i was about to give up i snag my line with the spoon and managed to get my rod back and the fish on it. Fish was no bigger then 3lb and had that much strength.

All in all a good weekend, another lesson learned ( BUy a bait runner), at least i went home dry haha.

Enjoy guys

Nice fish Marko. Congradulations on your new PB. Twice in on day is pretty cool. You are not the first guy to watch their rod go flying into the drink due to mister carp. You can back your drag off until a run will not pull your outfit in. Stop the fish by applying pressure to the skirt of the spool with your finger then tighten your drag to fight the fish. Or you can buy a baitrunner reel. :)

Nice carp there.

I had the same thing happen with one of the bigger cats Sunday. Turned my back to grab a cup of coffee when the son yells at me. The rod and the stand had been pulled down into the water. Good thing I was wearing boots. Got it just in time. Happens to me every year.

I can't believe you were able to get your rod back, though, and the fish! What are the odds!

I could not believe it either, it was a long shot to begin with, all the weeds around just made it tougher. Mind you one of the hooks on the treble hook was broken off as well.

You gotta be good to be lucky :P:rolleyes: haha.

Carp fishing has taken off in the last two years and more and more people are enjoying the sport.

I was talking to the guys at Natural sports and they were saying how more and more people are buying carp equipment from them. He said that people from all over the world are coming to Canada to fish for them because there are lots of them around and its relatively cheap.

He said what other 20lb fish can you catch with a hook and 70 cent can of corn haha.

Ya, several years ago, Shimano and other manufacturers saw carp fishing as a growth market and began making lots of specialty carp equipment. It was also reflected on tv fishing shows where you'd see the hosts fishing carp for the first time, in their effort to satisfy their sponsors of course.

Althought carp fishing may still not be as popular among Canadians as other types of fishing, the fruits of their labour seem to have paid off because I see waaaaay more people carp fishing now with specialized gear, carp pods, etc.

I consider myself one of the guys who caught on to carp fishing during this enitial explosion and enjoy it to this day.

Great report and thanks for taking the time.

I've had carp pull many rods into the drink. Most memorable was fishing the pier at Goderich with a group of noobies and leaving my rod unattended while doing so. I looked over and it was gone.

Through on a "Michigan Wobbler" and got my rod back toot sweet and with Mr. Carp still attached. That being said, it doesn't seem to me, based on my experience too difficult a task to retrieve.

HH