Bought a reel from US website, do I need to pay import tax?

maybo

Hi guys, I just purchased a spinning reel from a US website, the reel is over $130USD.

It will be deliveried to me by mail.

Question is, do I need to pay any import tax or custom tax?

please advise me.

Thank you!

Sometimes you will get lucky and pay nothing

Did you get the Stradic MGFB?

Jose

Depends on the value that was declared to customs.. You can bet if it was valued at over $40US, you'll be paying brokerage/GST on the item.

I also hope it was sent via USPS and not UPS or FedEx.

Edited by BillM

Depends on the value that was declared to customs.. You can bet if it was valued at over $40US, you'll be paying brokerage/GST on the item.

I also hope it was sent via USPS and not UPS or FedEx.

it was send by US post service.

what is difference anyways?

UPS and FedEx charge brokerage based upon a percentage of the item value, to say the brokerage fees are outrageous is a understatement.

Canada Post handles anything sent USPS, and they charge a flat rate of $5, no matter what the value of the item.

I have had UPS brokerage charges reversed, but not after battles on the phone with them. I refuse to use them or FedEx if I am cross border shopping.

What was the value of the item you bought?

Edited by BillM

couriers = brokerage fees at the border = Bull

All you can do is wait and see. sometimes you'll get duties by the post office, sometimes not. For the most part, you will get it at your door for nothing extra if delivered by USPS. I've been burned before but it was mostly larger boxes like computers where they actually opened it up, placed their own value on it, and taxed (duties) me on their assessed value.

Since you got the Stradic MgFB, I hope you ordered from Tackle Warehouse. Sweet deal going on right now for that reel. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure my last two orders from them were duty free.

couriers = brokerage fees at the border = Bull

All you can do is wait and see. sometimes you'll get duties by the post office, sometimes not. For the most part, you will get it at your door for nothing extra if delivered by USPS. I've been burned before but it was mostly larger boxes like computers where they actually opened it up, placed their own value on it, and taxed (duties) me on their assessed value.

You still pay brokerage on goods shipped via USPS if the value is declared over $40US. Sometimes things slip through, most of the time they don't. The thing is, you only pay a flat rate of $5 for Canada Post to brokerage your item unlike what UPS/FedEx charges you.

UPS and FedEx charge brokerage based upon a percentage of the item value, to say the brokerage fees are outrageous is a understatement.

Canada Post handles anything sent USPS, and they charge a flat rate of $5, no matter what the value of the item.

I have had UPS brokerage charges reversed, but not after battles on the phone with them. I refuse to use them or FedEx if I am cross border shopping.

What was the value of the item you bought?

$150USD

no brokerage on USPS shipments. just duty and taxes if applicable. if they didn't mark it as a gift, you'll be paying on whatever they declared the value of the item on the customs form.

you get dinged on brokerage with people like UPS.

no brokerage on USPS shipments. just duty and taxes if applicable. if they didn't mark it as a gift, you'll be paying on whatever they declared the value of the item on the customs form.

you get dinged on brokerage with people like UPS.

There definitely is brokerage on USPS shipments, Canada Post charges a flat rate of $5 if the declared value is over $40US. But unlike UPS/FedEx it's a fixed rate, no matter how much the declared value is it's always $5.

Jose,

I just received mine today. I bought 4 of them and got my cousin to ship them for me, free shipping from online store in US. Sent it to her and she shipped to me marked as gift. Usually works.

I bought it from outdoorproshop.com

they even refused to mark the item as a "GIFT" when it ship to Canada.

damn it:angry:

I bought it from outdoorproshop.com

they even refused to mark the item as a "GIFT" when it ship to Canada.

damn it:angry:

I checked on the gift thing for you and it is a felony here in the USA called Postal fraud that they are worried about. It would be pretty easy for them to get busted if they marked it on all of the packages going to Canada so you might want to ease up on the anger thinggy. If you can send it to a USA friend they can rebox it and send it forward as a gift. A word of note if you do have something reboxed make sure that it is out of the packing and looks used before they send it out if they send it with papers and a receipt or looking new Canada postal will charge them the duties and tax even if it is marked gift......(yes I did it and yes I made this mistake and the final yes he was charged)

Art

If you can send it to a USA friend they can rebox it and send it forward as a gift. A word of note if you do have something reboxed make sure that it is out of the packing and looks used before they send it out if they send it with papers and a receipt or looking new Canada postal will charge them the duties and tax even if it is marked gift......(yes I did it and yes I made this mistake and the final yes he was charged)

Art

All true, I know. But todays package arrived intact and with no extra fees. :D:thumbsup_anim:

It's hit and miss regarding getting extra charges!!

I've been ordering Muskie Baits from the same distributor in the U.S. for the past couple of years without ever being charged duty, taxes, etc...until a few weeks ago...the only difference this time was that they shipped the baits in a big cardboard box as opposed to the "jiffy" bubble wrap envelopes that they used in the past...maybe the big box flagged customs :dunno:

I checked on the gift thing for you and it is a felony here in the USA called Postal fraud that they are worried about. It would be pretty easy for them to get busted if they marked it on all of the packages going to Canada so you might want to ease up on the anger thinggy. If you can send it to a USA friend they can rebox it and send it forward as a gift. A word of note if you do have something reboxed make sure that it is out of the packing and looks used before they send it out if they send it with papers and a receipt or looking new Canada postal will charge them the duties and tax even if it is marked gift......(yes I did it and yes I made this mistake and the final yes he was charged)

Art

Thanks for the info Art, next time I will try to send the stuff to a friend first.