Boaters card....what for!

Mr Twister

I just had to mention this as its been 2 times out on the Rideau water ways and saw this happen 4 times in total....a group or a couple fisherman with some 20 to 40 thousand dollar boat cutting across the wrong side of the markers running over rocks!!!

One guy was comming on the inside as I was fishing close to the marker and waved fewer times pointing in the other way but ignored me and with a smile on my face covered my eyes as the noise of his 115 new merc was not pleasent.....he turned his head the other way?

What is the use of this card if you pay if you pass and you do not pay if you fail teach us?

It is a money grab in my eyes and it is proof as what I can see so far this year!

Use common sence out there boys and gals as it is for everyone to use with respect and the future of our children.

Good fishing and a safe trip this summer.....

Pauly aka: Mr Twister

Guest gbfisher

No worries there are always a few who think they know their way.... :lol: ..Boat card or not.... :rolleyes:

Ya shoulda said. "BET THAT LEFT A MARK!"................. :)

I just had to mention this as its been 2 times out on the Rideau water ways and saw this happen 4 times in total....a group or a couple fisherman with some 20 to 40 thousand dollar boat cutting across the wrong side of the markers running over rocks!!!

One guy was comming on the inside as I was fishing close to the marker and waved fewer times pointing in the other way but ignored me and with a smile on my face covered my eyes as the noise of his 115 new merc was not pleasent.....he turned his head the other way?

What is the use of this card if you pay if you pass and you do not pay if you fail teach us?

It is a money grab in my eyes and it is proof as what I can see so far this year!

Use common sence out there boys and gals as it is for everyone to use with respect and the future of our children.

Good fishing and a safe trip this summer.....

Pauly aka: Mr Twister

I've always asked the same thing about fishing licences. Seems like a cash grab to me as you need no knowledge of the regs whatsoever. Just plop down a few bucks and you have one. Wonder if all the money even goes back into protecting the resource as it's supposed to :dunno:

It doesn’t really matter how they got their boater’s card because you can’t teach common sense.

We all must have a few friends that can sit down at almost any written test and walk away acing it; but put that same person out in the field to apply what they (test wise) should know and they turn into the biggest dough head ever.

The part that scares me is that these same people will be loading their boats on trailers and then driving the tow vehicle home. How much common sense have we seen being used on any of the 400 series highways?

Yes I agree that the Boater’s card is another money grab; but even if they made it a real test with a practical exam at the end, would it improve things? Look what graduated driver’s licenses have done; not a frigging thing to improve common sense.

Dan.

Because of things like the e-health scandal. The government's rate of increasingly wasting our tax dollars requires more taxes to keep the overall balance :wallbash: I say screw all of the political parties, we need someone else who's responsible. Sadly politics and responsibility/honesty are on far ends of the spectrum in almost every country today, ours included.

I could write a thesis on what I think of the boaters card and why. Having said that, no amount of instruction can compensate for shear stupidity.

Sheer stupidity is why we have shear-pins on the prop shaft :lol:

There's an easy fix.

In order to get a boating or driving license make it mandatory to pass both the vehicular test as well as an IQ test. Any one who gets less than an IQ of 100 gets to take the bus or shore fish.

Should weed out 80 or 90% of the loogan's and the other few % we will just have to live with. :D

There's an easy fix.

In order to get a boating or driving license make it mandatory to pass both the vehicular test as well as an IQ test. Any one who gets less than an IQ of 100 gets to take the bus or shore fish.

Should weed out 80 or 90% of the loogan's and the other few % we will just have to live with. :D

That won't work Drifter. I know some folks who are less than brilliant who would never ever deviate from the word of the law. And some others with reasonable IQs who think that they are above the law.

Also, in your scenario, politicians could never operate a boat.

Most all licenses and permits are cash grabs first and foremost. This is a 'free' country, so I've been brought up to believe...with the exception of going to the toilet...can you name anything that don't require a permit or license to do?

After I went and got my boater card was when I really began to notice just how careless many other boaters are. Big, fast and fancy boats flying past a couple in a canoe trying to either paddle along or trying to fish. Others pulling skiers and have a whole lake to use, but choose to zip in close to where others are trying to fish or paddle.... really quite sad. All the more reason I like nice remote lakes.

Big, fast and fancy boats flying past a couple in a canoe trying to either paddle along or trying to fish. Others pulling skiers and have a whole lake to use, but choose to zip in close to where others are trying to fish or paddle.... really quite sad. All the more reason I like nice remote lakes.

Thats when you tie on a musky lure and practice your aim! :devil:

I used to own a little 14 footer with a 50 and was out on lake O about a mile out and here comes a 3/4 million $ boat plowing about 100 meters off my bow if I had something to throw I would have needless to say my bilge pump was going for 20 mins after that

all he did as he passed was wave at me as I was yelling (words that shouldn't be said here...lol)

I have been around boats for 30 years and I have never been on the water without seeing an idiot, it's just like the road there are alot of people who think they are God

Its his boat...he can drive it on rocks if he wants too.

He may not have had a boaters card. You don't need one yet.

You don't learn a lot with a boaters card course anyway.

Your insurance doesn't give a discount for a boaters card, but they do for a depth finder.

I remember a bunch of years ago, this young engineer had his snowmobile in the back of his truck. I said to him, "don't you tie that in there?" he said...Naw, its fine like that. The next day heading home down the highway, he spun out on the ice, sled went flying, and he got under control without hitting anything. Sled was totalled. When he told me I just shrugged my shoulders. it was pretty funny.

I also think that the "Pleasure Craft Operator" card is ridiculous in its current state.

Back in 2000 when I got mine, I skimmed through the book before hand and easily passed. I thought I lost the card a couple of years ago and found it is impossible to have it replaced because there isn't any sort of registry(and I forgot what company issued it). The way it stands with no regulation, private testing companies make more money as they deal out more cards so why not make the test really easy? You can even do an online version so you can just look up the answers as you go...

Fishing licenses may not require any knowledge of regulations but at least a portion of the cost, however small, goes toward the resourse. I would be happy to see a test associated with fishing licenses, even if it was just proof of being able to use the regulations book.

The card is not great but the problem is people get them from the wrong place.

Most get them off the net for big $ and no instruction or coarse time and then complain about a cash grab. Yes it was a cash grab but you chose to give it to them quit your whining.

If you looked around you could write the test for $20 with an outfit that registered your card.

For around $40 you could get an 8 to 12 hour coarse and your card, not much of a cash grab there.

Most don't want to put the time into it so they get them the worst way possible, on line with no instruction or cheat, at the higher cost than a coarse or go to a seminar where they tell you the answers and nothing more.

Question 1.

How do you signal danger to another boat?

1. Five blasts on a horn or whistle.

2. Wave and point.

Question 2.

Sailboat always has right of way.

1 true

2 false

Get them both wrong tear up your card.